‹ Prequel: A Forbidden Love
Sequel: Two Vibrant Hearts

Until the End

The Haner's; Family Dinner

Oingo Boingo's Dead Man's Party played next on the CD, I turned it up slightly as I sang along. Smiling over at Ellie who grinned, singing along as well. It was our favorite song. I peered into my rear view mirror watching as Kaylie sang along to the song as well, a smirk appeared on my face.

"Kay likes Oingo Boingo?" I asked Ellie.
She nodded. "Yep. Only this song and No Spill Blood, though. Thanks to that CD you made me years back."
"Awesome. Our little Oingo family." I grinned. Ellie rolled her eyes as she laughed. I turned onto Parker street and pulled into the driveway, parking the car. "We're here." I announced.
"We at Gandpop's an Gandmom's?" Kaylie asked. I looked back at her.
"Yeah, we're at Grandpop's and Grandmom's. And Uncle Brent and Aunt McKenna are here as well." Kay grinned. I looked over at Ellie, who looked nervous. I placed my hand on her knee, kissing her cheek. Smiling when she looked at me. "Relax, hon. There's nothing to worry about. They're excited to meet you and Kaylie." She nodded, gulping. "Hey?" She met my eyes. "You look beautiful." She smiled. I smiled back, pressing my lips to hers.
"Let's go." She said in a whisper. I gave her knee a gentle squeeze before getting out.

I walked over to her side, wrapping an arm around her waist as she placed Kaylie on her other side. I led them up the porch steps and knocked on the door. Laughter was heard on the other side. I felt Ellie stiffen under my arm. My arm tightened around her as I placed my lips to her cheek, whispering that everything will be fine. The door handle jingled as someone tried opening the door. The door swung open.

"Well look who it is. Sup, Bri." Brent smiled, man hugging. I smirked.
"Hey, Brent. How you been?"
"The usual. And who's this?" He nodded towards my girls.
"This is Ellie. And this little girl is Kaylie. Mine and Ellie's daughter." I grinned, kissing Kay's cheek.
Brent gawked. "You have a daughter? No way."
"Yes way. Didn't Dad tell you? Or Suzy?" I asked him. He shook his head.
"They never tell me anything, you know that." He laughed. I chuckled. "Well, come on in. We're all waiting for you guys at the table." Brent moved out of the doorway to let us in.

I led Ellie through the house, showing and telling her stories about particular spots in the house. Pretty much every spot in the house had a funny story to tell. From my Dad's butter feet to my drunken stumbles. I could see Ellie from the corner of my eye take in a deep breath as we headed towards the dining room, where the sound of my family talking grew louder. Kaylie hid her face in her Mother's hair. I gave Ellie a gentle squeeze before walking into the dining room. The room fell silent as everyone looked up from their empty plates. Brent slid by us.

"Look who I found!" He grinned.
"Brian!" McKenna jumped off her seat, running over to me.
I caught her in my arms, hugging my little sister. "Hey, McKenna. I missed you."
"Missed you too, big head." She giggled, looking up at Ellie and Kaylie.
"McKenna, I want you to meet Ellie. And this little girl's name is Kaylie." I introduced them.
"Hello, McKenna." Ellie smiled. McKenna smiled back.
"Hi, Ellie."
"And Kaylie's your niece. She's mine and Ellie's daughter." I told her, grinning.
"You have a kid?!" Her mouth dropped.
"McKenna." Suzy said her name, walking up with Dad.
"Hey, Brian." Dad and Suzy smiled, greeting me. I nodded, hugging each of them.
"Hey, Dad. Hey, Suzy."
"So this is the famous Ellie we've heard so much about." Dad smiled at Ellie, who blushed.
"Brian never stops talking about you, sweetheart." Suzy smiled. "It's so great to finally meet you in person." She hugged Ellie.
"It's great to meet you two as well." Ellie smiled, setting Kaylie down. Kay pressed her back against Ellie's legs, nervously. "Kay, say hello to Grandmom and Grandpop. And Uncle Brent and Aunt McKenna." Ellie gave Kaylie a gentle push. Kay hid her face in Ellie's legs. Everyone laughed. "I'm sorry. She gets pretty shy around new people."
"It's quite all right, dear. She'll warm up to us soon enough." Suzy smiled at Ellie. Ellie returned the smile.
"Have a seat, Ellie." Dad said, sitting down. The oven beeped.
"That should be the turkey." Suzy said.
"Do you need any help, Mrs. Haner?" Ellie asked.
"No thank you, Hon. I'll be out in a second." With that, Suzy disappeared behind the wooden doors.

Dad sat at one end of the table while Brent and McKenna sat across from me, Ellie and Kaylie. Suzy's seat would be at the other end of the table. I took Ellie's hand in mine, smiling over at her as she gave my hand a light squeeze. Suzy soon came out with the well roasted turkey, dripping with her delicious turkey sauce that was completely out of this world. We were definitely taking some home with us tonight. Once everyone filled their plates, the chatter began.

"So Ellie, you've dated Brian before?" Dad asked. Ellie nodded.
"Yeah, for a couple months. Almost a year if you don't count the break ups."
"Not good in bed?" Brent laughed. I threw a piece of garlic potato at him.
"Boys." Suzy scolded us. "This is Ellie and Kaylie's first dinner with us. Let's behave like a family." She gave an apologetic smile towards Ellie.
"It's fine, Mrs. Haner. I'm used to it with not only living with Brian, but also the rest of the Avenged guys." Ellie giggled.
"We're not that bad." I smirked. Ellie rolled her beautiful hazel green eyes.
"Sure you guys weren't. The whole coming off the tour bus coated with cake was so normal." She smiled.
"You were with the boys on tour?" Suzy asked.
"Yes. I was their roadie at the time. It's how I met my brother and the guys."
"That's right, you're Shads's little sister. Kim's little girl." Dad said.
"That I am."
"Bet Matt was very protective after finding out about you." Suzy nodded. I coughed heavily. "You okay, Brian?" I nodded, grinning.
"You can say Matt was overbearingly protective, Mrs. Haner." Ellie said. I could tell she was remembering all those times Shads fought and argued with me.
"Please, Ellie. Call me Suzy." Suzy smiled.
"What was up with Matt?" Dad asked.
"Let's just say he and Brian butted heads. A lot." She sipped at her coke.
Brent laughed. "You fought Shads? Dude, you had to have your ass kicked."
I threw another potato at him. "Don't curse around my daughter."
"My bad."
"Why did you fight with Matt, Brian? I thought you two were best friends." Suzy frowned.
I shrugged. "What do you think? Kaylie didn't come to this world just by me and Ellie playing checkers."
"Then how did she come to this world?" McKenna asked, tilting her head.
"She came by playing Twister." I smirked. Ellie blushed a deep red.

The night drew on as my family got to know Ellie themselves. Ellie tensed when Suzy brought up Michelle, asking why she wasn't joining us tonight. I simply told her that Michelle couldn't make it. Dad knew about my soon to be divorce with Michelle. Kaylie finally came out of her shell after dinner, falling in love with Grandmom and Grandpop. Ellie fitted in well with the family and McKenna adored her. She never left Ellie's side. While I sat with Dad I would watch as Ellie chatted with Suzy, playing with McKenna and Kaylie and their little games. A dimpled smile never leaving her face.

"You're a very lucky guy, you know." Dad said. I quirked an eyebrow at him, tearing my gaze from my girls.
"Hm?"
"Ellie. I can see she means the world to you. And you mean the world to her. Don't let her get away, Son."
"Trust me Dad, I lost her once. I don't ever plan on losing her again."