When Life Doesn't Give You Enough Cards to Play the Game, You Deal

Chapter 14

“What the fuck are you doing just standing around? Kat’s been kidnapped!” I screamed at Jared once realization hit me like a ton of bricks. “We have to go find her.”

I pushed a pale faced Jared down the steps to my porch until he started scrambling to his car. He unlocked, fumbling with the door for a moment before sliding in. I followed suit, slamming my door behind me.

“Where should I go?” Jared asked, looking straight ahead as he started the car.

“If you were a kidnapper, where would you take Kat?”

“To my room so I could-,”

“Okay, let’s start somewhere else.” I cut him off, wrinkling up my face at his unfinished sentence. “Why would someone kidnap Kat?”

“Money?”

“What money?” I asked, becoming frustrated. “Kat barely has a thing to her name.”

“Shits and giggles?” He guessed.

“There had to be a reason, Jared.”

“Revenge?”

As soon as the words left his lips a single name popped into my head.

“Melonie.” I growled.

Realization dawned on Jared’s face. “But she wouldn’t do it herself. So she hired those guys.” He added, putting all the pieces together.

“But where would she have them take her?”

“Got it!” He exclaimed suddenly, slamming a fist down on the steering wheel.

“Care to share?” I asked.

“You know how Melonie’s dad owns like a billion storage units?” He asked. “There’s an abandoned one, hasn’t been used in years, just up the road.” He explained. “Melonie took me there all the time. We had some pretty hot-,”

“Jared.” I cut him off in a warning tone. “Keep your mind on Kat.”

“Right.” He exhaled. “Sorry.”

The ride seemed like it lasted for days. I couldn’t keep my mind off Kat and what her kidnappers could be doing to her. As much I shook the thoughts away, they kept coming back, with a vengeance, I might add.

“We’re here.” Jared announced and I was out of the car before he could turn it off.

I ran to the door of the cement building before me, heart pumping in my ears. I twisted the handle and tried pushing it open but to no avail. I kicked at it, frustrated. That’s when an idea formed in my head.

I took a few steps back before running at the door, adrenaline filling my veins. I extended my leg and kicked the door, feeling one of the hinges come loose. Just one more time…

I stepped back farther before trying again, sending my foot flying into the door. The door gave out, allowing me and Jared through it.

“Stop, please.” I heard Kat sob. I followed the sound through rows and rows of storage units.

“Orders are orders, Miss.” A male voice replied solemnly.

“Orders from who?” She asked, sniffling.

“Can’t tell you.”

“You can’t let me die and not know who sent men after me to kill me.”

I rounded the corner and took in the scene.

Kat sitting with her hands bound, resting in her lap. A man above her with a gun pointed at her head.

“How sweet.” The man drawled. “Prince Charming and his side kick came to rescue the damsel in distress.”

“I’m totally Prince Charming.” Jared stated, as if we weren’t all in a life or death situation.

I elbowed him in the gut while Kat shot us a desperate look. “Save me.” She mouthed while the guy inspected Jared and I.

“Hand the girl over, and no one gets hurt.” I said calmly. I never was one for talking myself out of situations.

“Hmm…,” the man stroked his imaginary beard. “Who’s the one with the gun here?” A look of deep thought, then a bark of laughter. “Oh that’s right! Me!”

He pointed it straight at me.

“Take a step toward the girl and you’re toast.” He told me.

“I don’t think you have the guts.” I shrugged.

“Chance.” Jared interjected, pushing my shoulder slightly.

“Are you really going to let a girl tell you what to do?” I asked the man, referring to Melonie. “Let her make you do her dirty work for her?”

“’Course.” He smiled lazily. “If the price is right.”

“You’re willing to kill a girl-- a poor, innocent girl-- to get some extra cash?” He nearly screamed. “You sick bastard!”

I heard a bang and a scream. My immediate thought was Kat. My eyes snapped to her horror stricken face.

“Chance!” She was yelling, wriggling in her binds.

I looked ahead at the man, a bullet whizzing in my direction. It almost seemed slow motion, like in the movies. It was one of those ‘oh shit!’ moments where all you could do was stare like a deer caught in head lights, but by the time you realize you should probably jump out of the way, it’s too late.

A stinging sensation spread through my stomach and I clutched it, falling to the ground. A warm, sticky substance filled my hands. A violent growl ripped from my lips and I heard Kat sob one more time before all feeling left my body and I felt like I was floating. Was this what dying felt like? Fucking Bella Swan said it was peaceful!
♠ ♠ ♠
Yo! Sorry this took so long! I honestly forgot I was writing this story... :/ I'll try to get the next chapter I write out super fast to make it up to you. But I DO have a life. So maybe you'll have to deal....

~Kylie