One of the Boys

People Talk

I walked into the hall Monday morning to be greeted with the stares and passing glances of everyone. I'd say that was an exaggeration, but it really wasn't. And as always in High School, these stares were followed by whispering. "Hey Reagan," some random guy I said giving me a, I'm honestly not sure what kind of look that is, look, "sup."

"Nothing strange dude," I said with a confused look.

I was happy when I made it to my locker, I just threw my books in and then I closed it and had a heart attack because Deana's face was right there. "To think one football game puts the new girl on the map," she said. I gave her a questioning look and she shook her head and smiled, "you're like the coolest girl in the school at the moment."

"I don't think I'm the coolest," I said looking at a group of girls giggling.

She shrugged, "okay maybe not the coolest, but you are definitely known, by everyone, they're all talking about you."

"I feel like Emma Stone in Easy A," I said kind of monotone, "I don't like it." This made me feel like the fake slut, but I didn't do anything like that. I wasn't sleeping around with the whole school, I didn't have chlamydia, no sadly the same buzz happens when you join the football team. Though to be honest, I think if I had had sex no one would have cared, this is LA. I can guarantee there are few girls in this hall who haven't. So this was probably a lot worse.

"It's completely different," she said smiling.

"Never underestimate the power of football," Tyler said throwing his arm lazily around mine. I rolled my eyes and we walked over to a seemingly empty area and sat down. "So how were your weekends ladies," he said smiling.

"Boring, uneventful, take your pick," De said sighing.

"Same, just another glamorous weekend working at my uncle's restaurant," Tyler said.

They both turned to me wide eyed and I rose my eyebrow, "what, am I like expected to have something monumental happen to me everyday."

"As queen of the gossip circuit," Tyler said, "it is a rule."

"Fine," I thought about the events and the light-bulb clicked and I started sarcastically, "I have a new boyfriend."

"You do," they both said shocked and in sink and then De continued, "that didn't take long, who, does he go to the school, I want full details."

I rolled my eyes and continued with my little game, "his name is Jack, he asked me out to eat and it was marvelous, we might do it again soon. Oh and he doesn't go to the school, you probably wouldn't know him." I smirked at the situation.

"OOO college," De asked and I shook my head.

"De I was kidding," I said, "Jack's an eight year old kid I met in the park. Cute kid, I thought it was adorable. But in all seriousness there was a guy named Brayden who I met while running and he was to die for gorgeous. Asked if I'd see him around and I said hell yeah."

"Doesn't Chris Mills have a little brother named Jack," Tyler said raising an eyebrow.

I looked at him and pointed to my nose, "bingo that's the one." They both looked at me so I gave in and told them the whole story "... now tell me that' not cute, the kid's eight."

"You totally went out with him," Deana smiled.

"I hardly call McDonald's going out De," I said, "besides as I have mentioned before not my type and we made it clear that this was under no circumstance a date."

"Sure," she said sarcastically. I just rolled my eyes and bid them goodbye until lunch or any class I had with them.

I was starting to catch on to the idea of bringing your own lunch. The cafeteria food here was deadly, or toxic looking. That's one thing I never worried about in NY, the food at my school there was amazing, impeccable even at times gourmet. I walked to my car, which is where I had left my lunch, oops and then I made my way back to where it was we sat at lunch. My walk was familiarly interrupted, it was peppy cheer girl again. "My sources tell me you went out with Chris this weekend."

"You better check those sources again," I said smiling, "because I would never date Mills, a team mate is all he'll ever be to me honey." She rolled her eyes made a nasty face and then let me pass, not like she really could have stopped me anyways. I had this vague feeling that her perfectly polished nails weren't going to put up a fight of any sort.

"I don't think Cindy likes you much," Deana said.

I looked back at the fake and then laughed, "Cindy just sounds like a cheerleader name."

"If we're talking like that Reagan isn't much of a football name," Tyler rose his eyebrow.

"Oh really," I said crossing my arms and leaning back before beginning, "Reagan can be shortened to Rea, which sounds exactly like R-A-Y, just like Ray Lewis linebacker for the Baltimore Ravens and the 18th best player in NFL league history. So I'm going to say my name sounds fine for football."

"OOOOO," De said, "she showed you."

"You really know your shit girl," he said smiling.

"Damn right I do," I said snapping my fingers.

That day practice was hard, it was my first day of any real intense football training. You just don't know how grateful I was to be there. I would never do anything to compromise my position on this team, this was my dream and I would cherish it as long as I possibly could. At the end of practice coach called a meeting in the locker room. It kind of sucks all meetings take place in there because it kind of smells awful. "Alright guys," he said, "in two weeks we are going to a week long tournament in Arizona. This is a very competative tournament and I think this year we are ready to compete in it. Our funds cover the trip, but if you guys plan on making it to playoffs and going far, like I do, we might need to start some fund raising. "

"What about school," some guy yelled out. Everyone looked back at him, needless to say school isn't he first thing on most of our minds.

"You guys will be missing the week," he said, "but don't worry you do have to make up all the work you miss." We all groaned and he walked out meaning we could shower, get changed and all that stuff. I walked out and met Tyler who decided we were totally having a best friend movie night tonight.

"Isn't this exciting, Ty," I said, "my first team and we get to go to a tournament."

"Thanks to you," he said and I gave him a confused face, "we've never done anything like this before, the athletic department never thought we were good enough." I smiled, but I couldn't really make that much a difference. "Oh and we've already voted that we're having a car wash fund raiser."

"It's not going to work," I said, "we're not the cheer squad."

"Yeah, but what girl doesn't want their car washed by a bunch of hot shirtless football players," he smiled.

I gave him a look, "that sounds mildly gay. I vote we either invite the cheerleaders to help and split the proceeds or we do something else."

"But you hate cheerleaders," he pouted.

"Yeah," I said, "but I do not want to be the only girl half naked with all you guys." He laughed.
As we walked by coaches office he called for me to go in. I made a face to Tyler before walking in, "was up coach."

"I'm just warning you ahead of time that each team only get's a certain number of rooms," he said, "we're already fitting five to a room, and getting a separate one for you was out of the question." I nodded my head and he continued, "So you'll have to share a room with a few of the guys, is that alright."

"Yeah," I shrugged, "I can handle these boys."

"We are going to talk individually with all the guys rooming with you, and if anything happens while we're there, feel free to tell us." I nodded my head, eww I didn't want to think about anyone trying something. He then shooed me out of the office.

I stopped at the door, "by chance do you know who my room mates might be."

"Not yet," he laughed, "see you tomorrow Tanner."

I walked out and met Ty who was still waiting for me outside the door. "What was that about," he said with his hands in his pockets.

"He wanted to warn me that I won't have luxury accommodations in Arizona and I have to share a room with boys," I crinkled my nose as if they were gross. I just had a few rules, one no one goes through my stuff and two we keep he room clean.

"Awesome," he smirked, "who are the lucky guys."

"Undecided," I said nodding. He sighed and then grabbed my hand and ran us over to the parking lot so that we could make it to his house. He was really anxious for movie night. Yeah movie night involved us watching both paranormal activities, but in reverse order. And fight club. I think Tyler was annoyed by the end of the night when I had mentioned for the millionth time how hot Brad Pitt is.