One of the Boys

More Brothers than 1 Girl Needs

Coach had been practicing us hard, not only to prepare for our games, but more importantly to prepare for the tournament we next week. I had just finished showering and I was walking over to the parking lot with my sports bag in hand. I had walked to school that morning because Brayden decided he would pick me up from school for our date, since our practices have been running late. Obviously I wasn't going to leave my baby in this parking lot all alone.

"Tanner," Chris yelled out and I looked up from my phone to see him with a group of the guys, "we're all having dinner at my house, it's a team thing are you coming?"

"No," I said and then shrugged, "I already have plans." I wasn't going to mention the date because I really didn't have to. Then I turned my attention back to my phone and read the message which made me smile. Of course I've been in this smile, giggle crush phase since Saturday. I swear I'm not usually a giggling school girl, I actually hate those girls, but this was an exception.

"Who is it?" Tyler yelled out from the group and i looked up in confusion. He shook his head, "come on Rea you've been smiling at your phone all week, what gives." All the guys looked at me arms crossed expecting an answer.

I narrowed my eyes at them and said, "it's none of your business." I flailed my arms in rage, which wasn't the smartest idea because Hayden came from behind and grabbed my cell phone. I turned around and hit him in the shoulder, "give it back." He just pushed me away with his arm laughing.

"Who's Brayden," he asked mockingly.

"Don't read my texts, those are private," I said this time fully jumping on his back to get the phone back.

"Oh she's going on a date with the guy," he said keeping the phone out of my reach, "and she just can't wait." He was talking in a mocking voice and I didn't like it.

I grabbed onto his hair and yelled, "if you don't want to be a bald seventeen year old, I suggest you give me back my phone." He threw the phone over to the other guys before getting me off his back.

"Tommy," he went over to Tommy, "hold my earrings this is going to be one ugly cat fight." he walked back over to me and pretended to claw at me and I couldn't help but laugh at the ridiculous boy in front of me. "come on girl, bring it on," he said snapping his fingers in a z formation.

"Hayden," I laughed, "I'm not going to fight you, I think we all know I'd win."

He gave me a shocked look, "oh yeah?" I nodded and he ran towards me and just threw me over his shoulder and said, "you can stay up there until you admit that I am the ultimate cat fighter."

"I guess I'll be up here for a while, "I crossed my arms."

"Hayden put her down," Chris said. Hayden's shoulders dropped and I'm sure he pouted, but he did as he was told and I stuck my tongue out at him. "Now," Chris started and I looked over at him and the other guys, "who is this guy?"

"How'd you meet?" Tyler asked

"Did you do a full background check," Hayden added in.

I stood there and looked at all of them a little weirded out, "in order," I started, "his name is Brayden and he's a nice guy, he's in college." I added that with a little smile and then continued, "I met him running," I looked at Chris, "you know when you threw a football at me." I crossed my arm and rose a brow at him.

"That was at him, not you," he said defensively.

"Sure," I nodded before continuing, "and then we met again on Saturday when I tripped over his dog while walking home from Starbucks." They all gave me an odd look. "Long story," I laughed a little, "but we've been texting since and no not once did it even cross my mind to do a background check."

"Unacceptable," Hayden said, "I can't let my little sister go out with a murderer."

"Hayden," I was shocked, "I'm not your sister and he's not a murderer."

"You don't know that," he said very fast pointing an accusing finger at me, "because you didn't take proper precaution and do a background check."

"Do you do a background check on all your dates," I rose an eyebrow.

He gave me a look, "that's different."

I turned to everyone else who was standing there in the parking lot, it wasn't the whole team but it was enough of them. "Can you guys please tell Hayden he's crazy," I looked at them all and no one moved.

"I don't like the guy," Chris said.

"Me either," Tyler crossed his arms.

"None of you have even met him," I said.

"But we will," Chris said and I shook my head I do not want an interrogation. I had grown up without a big brother or a dad and so I was pretty lucky that I had no one to scare away my dates. Now I don't just have one brother I have one, two , three ... eight of them right now. "no buts about it Tanner, there's only one thing college guys want."

I rose my eyebrow, "there's only one thing all guys want."

"Exactly," Tyler said. I hit my forehead, this was not going to be fun. Soon enough a nice silver car pulled into the parking lot.

"Hey beautiful," he said looking at me hardly noticing the guys around me, "ready to go?"

I smiled, he was so cute, gorgeous and the car made it look better. "Yeah," I nodded making a dash for the car, "let's get out of here."

"Not so fast," someone pulled me back, "we've got some questions before we let you take Reagan out." I rolled my eyes and Brayden looked at me.

"I am so sorry," I said, "my team," I gestured towards the guys, "they're a little over protective." I looked back at everyone else, "can we please not do this."

"Nope," Hayden said, "it's a must." I shook my head but smiled a little anyways and waited through the questioning until the finally let us go.

I was in his car and we were driving to a small diner, all we were going to do was eat it was no big deal. "Once again," I paused, "I am so sorry about that, I don't really know what's wrong with them."

"I understand," he smiled, "I played football, and the team is important, no matter how you feel about each other, you're still kind of connected and we would always tell a teammate when his girl was a whore so I guess it's just different you being a girl and all."

"Yeah," I nodded, "unfortunately I still don't think a lot of them like you."

"Probably because they're all jealous," he said.

"They're my teammates Bray," I said laughing, "would you date one of your teammates." I rose an eyebrow and he just laughed.

"None of my teammates were as gorgeous as you," he said and I smiled. This boy knows what to say. We got to the place an I was happy to see Rocky Cola's an actual diner rather than a McDonald's. I love this place, used to eat here all the time as a kid. We were just talking for a while before any food of any sort came. He was so sweet, I think I'm seriously falling in love. I'm kidding of course, way too soon.

Brayden drew away from the conversation and looked past me with a questioning look and then looked back, "I think one of your spies followed us." I turned around and saw Chris at one of the booths on the lower level trying to be incognito. He was peeking his face out from behind a menu.

"I'll be right back," I said rolling my eyes as I angrily threw my napkin on the table and walked over to him. I slid into the booth and said, "what are you doing here."

"Tanner," he put down his menu and looked at me in fake shock, "oh are you on your date?"

"Mills," I said playing the name game, "did you really follow me on my date."

"Maybe, but only because I have a bad feeling about this guy," he looked past me angrily and I looked back to make sure Brayden didn't see.

"Well i have a good feeling," I said, "so maybe you should go somewhere else."

"Naw," he said, "I haven't even ordered yet."

"That's even better," I said, "trust me I can handle myself, just go."

"Why should I," he leaned across the table.

I narrowed my eyes at him and then sighed, "I'll pay you if it gets you to leave." He thought about it and then nodded his head so I took a ten out of my pocket and handed it to him. "Now get out," I said.

We both got up and began turning our separate direction and then he stopped, "Tanner." I turned around hands on my hip and awaiting whatever he was going to say. "Eat slowly or this might be the last date." I rolled my eyes and turned back to the table. I did though keep table manners in mind.

"I fixed the problem," I said as I sat back down.

"Good," he said glancing at the door real quick and then smiled looking back at me.