Status: Not finished

Maybe It's Not My Weekend, But It's Gonna Be My Year

Now I Hope You're Happy With Yourself

Alex’s POV
We all got on stage. I had a feeling this show was gonna be very awkward. Well, luckily Zack usually didn’t talk much, so no one would notice him being quiet. He could just be mad in silence. I tried to be as enthusiastic as I normally was since we owed that to our fans, but I didn’t know if people could tell how horrible I was feeling. I couldn’t really keep my head in it and messed up some lyrics. I suppose the fans could tell I wasn’t feeling so well. I was actually quite relieved after we played Dear Maria, something that hardly ever happened to me. I just didn’t want to face Zack. I wanted to get away from it all with Summer, but well… that wouldn’t be possible.

Rian was right, we should solve this as adults, but I didn’t think Zack was very willing to think like an adult right now. Not that I could blame him, but I just didn’t want to deal with all of this. We walked off stage. I really wasn’t feeling like hanging out with the fans, we couldn’t disappoint them.
‘Are we gonna go out to the fans?’ I asked my band.
‘I know I am’ Jack replied. ‘And I hope you two can just get over yourselves and come with me’.
‘I’ll come’ Zack replied.
‘Yeah, me too’ I said.

Jack went up to Donna, and then we went to the tour bus to change. Zack didn’t even look at me. I really just wanted to be alone and think things over. Was Summer really worth risking everything we had accomplished? I was just gonna have to talk to Zack and we had to come up with a solution. I loved Summer, but now that Zack was so hurt, I realized I cared about him too, more than I realized before. I didn’t want to lose him over this. I would have to do a lot of thinking. I quickly changed and we then went out to the fans. Zack didn’t look at me once during the whole signing thing. After about an hour we went back to the tour bus. Zack immediately walked towards his bunk and got in it. I wasn’t gonna get to chance to talk to him now, I thought. Jack, Donna, Rian and Summer sat down on the couch.

I just wanted to be alone, so I grabbed my iPod from the table, and got into my bunk as well. I searched through my playlist and after a while I chose This Song Saved My Life by Simple Plan. Their new record was really good. I grabbed a scrapbook I had in my bunk, because of the inspiration boosts I sometimes had in bed. I would have to write the lyrics down immediately before I forgot them. I had a lot of inspiration, so I sat up, leaned against the wall in my bunk and started writing. I couldn’t hear anything but the music playing through my headphones, but I didn’t mind. I just wanted to be left alone. After a couple of hours, it was almost 2 AM now, I got tired. I read the lyrics I just wrote.

I need the time to realize everything I’ve just seen
‘Cause I’ve been living in a good dream for far too long
I need the time to realize everything was make believe
Damn it I was so naïve
You were never who you seemed to be
But all I ask is for my fair chance
Of making my way to the top of this industry
And with my own two hands, not a second glance
I’ll make the impossible a possibility
So don’t fuck this whole thing up for me, I thought we were a team
But now you’re kicking the legs right out from under my dream


They did not really turn out as I expected, but they could still make a good song. I would have to change them though, since Zack might get offended by these lyrics and that was the last thing I needed. I pulled my headphones out of my ears. Everything was quiet, so I figured everyone went to bed. I opened the curtain of my bunk, but I saw that the curtain of Jack’s bunk was still opened. He probably went out with Donna.

Donna’s POV
I was happy I got to spend some time with Jack again. With all the drama going on with the band, he thought it wasn’t such a good idea to hang out in the bus so we went out. The streets of Richmond were quite empty since it was late. We were just walking around and talking, getting to know each other. Jack was talking about their tour. I really hoped me and my band would be able to tour like this, some day. I loved how passionate Jack talked about his job. I wished I could perform for a living, but no, I have to work to get by. I worked at a venue, and it really wasn’t such a bad job, but earning your living doing the thing you love just seemed much better.

‘I really hope Zack and Alex can solve this’ Jack said. ‘I don’t want either of them to leave the band…’
‘Yeah, I hope so too… Well, I’m sure they will and if not you should just threaten them or something’ I said.
‘How evil of you’ Jack said smiling. ‘But enough about our fucked up band, haha. How are you doing? What have you been up to?’
‘Not much’ I replied. ‘Working, practicing with the band… That’s pretty much it’
‘Wow you have one boring life then’ Jack joked. ‘Don’t you go out or have friends or something?’
‘Well, I don’t really get to go out… I mean, I work at a venue every night when there’s a concert which is pretty much every night. I guess it’s my way of going out… I have to work, but I do get to see so many great bands and I get paid for it, haha’ I replied.
‘Now that’s a great job’ Jack replied. ‘So who are your favorite bands?’
‘Well, you obviously’ I replied. ‘And The Maine, Every Avenue, Hey Monday, Paramore. I listen to a lot of bands actually…’
‘Have you ever seen us live, before the other day I mean?’ Jack asked.
‘Yeah of course. I’m not just pretending to be a fan to impress you’ I replied smiling. ‘I’ve known you for years. I’ve seen you about 7 times’
‘Really? Cool!’ Jack replied.
‘Yeah, you have to thank me for most of your earnings, haha. If you think of all the concert tickets, merchandise and JAGK shirts I own, I spend quite some money on you’ I replied.
‘Well, I hope it was worth it then’ Jack said with a cute smile.
‘Yeah, it was’ I replied.

‘But now we’re still talking about All Time Low. I wanna know more about you’ Jack said.
‘Well, what do you wanna know? My name is Donna Diana Henderson. I’m 23 years old and my birthday is December 27th. I sing and play guitar for a band called Coldhearted. I love music, concerts, my band, my other friends… I don’t know anything else to tell you’ I replied.
‘What do you do when you’re not working or practicing?’ Jack asked.
‘Uhm, just listen to music, skateboard, hang out with friends… Sleep… Watch movies. Original, don’t you think?’ I said.
‘Very original’ Jack replied smiling.
‘I feel kind of awkward asking you questions, since I know a lot more about you’ I said.
‘What do you know about me?’ Jack asked curiously.
‘You’re name is Jack Bassam Barakat. You’re 23 years old and your birthday is June 18th. You play guitar for a band called All Time Low and you’re pretty famous. When you’re not playing guitar, you’re usually fucking burritos’ I said laughing.
‘Well, that quote of mine really is famous, isn’t it?’ Jack asked laughing.
‘It’s legendary. So where was I? You like to macarena, your belly button can talk, you’re forever searching for your mom, you’re never planning on growing up on the inside, you love Home Alone, you think girls only want your Pokémon cards, which is not true by the way’ I continued.
‘Yeah, that’s what every girl says, but I know better’ Jack replied laughing. ‘Why do you remember every single thing I’ve ever said? I’m scared you might hold it against me’.
‘I just might, if necessary’ I replied. ‘I don’t know, all of your fans know these things. Also, you like to fly naked, you think Alex Gaskarth has great hair, your alter-ego is called Ben, you think Rian is fat and ugly, which isn’t very nice, nor true. Do you need to hear more?’
‘Haha no, this will do’ Jack said laughing.

I looked at my watch.
‘Wow, it’s 2:30 already… Shouldn’t we go back? Everyone probably went to bed already’ I said.
‘Yeah, where do you have to go anyway?’ Jack asked.
‘Oh, me and my parents are staying in a hotel’ I replied.
‘Didn’t they go to sleep already?’ Jack asked.
‘Yeah probably, but I have my own hotel room, so that shouldn’t be a problem’ I replied.
‘Is it far?’ Jack asked.
I shook my head. ‘No, it’s a 15 minutes’ walk’ I replied.
‘Do you want me to come with you?’ Jack asked.
‘If you do, will you be able to find your way home on your own?’ I asked.
I knew my way around here since we came here quite often to visit friends. I didn’t think Jack did though.
‘Probably not, but I’m not gonna let you walk home alone in the middle of the night’ Jack replied.
‘How nice of you’ I replied. ‘But I don’t want you to get lost’
‘I’ll be okay’ Jack replied.
‘Fine then’ I said. ‘This way’

We started walking towards my hotel.
‘Too bad you’re leaving tomorrow…’ Jack said. ‘I had fun tonight’
By the look on his face I could tell that he meant it.
‘Yeah, so did I’ I replied with a smile. ‘But hey, maybe I can come over tomorrow morning? I don’t know what time you’re leaving?’
‘Around noon I think’ Jack replied. ‘Is that late enough?’
‘Yeah, we’ll leave around noon as well, so it should do… Unless you don’t want me to come over’ I said.
‘No, of course I want you to come over!’ Jack said smiling.
‘It’s a date then’ I replied.
‘Yeah, a date’ he repeated with a smile. He seemed to like the sound of it.
Eventually we got to my hotel.
‘Well, here it is’ I said.
‘Okay then’ Jack said. ‘Well, I’ll see you tomorrow then’
‘Yeah’ I replied.

We then stood there face to face, looking at each other. I felt tense, yet relaxed. I could tell we both knew what was going to happen next, but neither of us dared to take the first step. Finally, Jack did. He leaned over to me, and pressed his lips onto mine. I kissed him back. It felt right, it just did.

Zack’s POV
I couldn’t sleep. I had too much on my mind. I had no idea how we were gonna get this right. What I did know is that I didn’t want to quit the band, and probably neither would Alex so we would have to work this out. Was I wrong for being upset? Was I overreacting? I didn’t know. I should ask Rian or Jack tomorrow.

I then heard the door of the bus open. I looked on the screen of my phone what time it was. Almost 3 AM. I knew that it was probably Jack who went out with Donna to have some alone time, or just to get away from our fighting. I hadn’t said anything to Summer or Alex the whole night. Alex had been in his bunk all night and Summer tried to talk to me but I pretended to be asleep. I think she did know I wasn’t asleep but she gave up anyway.

I could tell Jack was trying not to wake us, but he ended up tripping over something on the messy floor. The noise that that made was loud enough to wake Rian, Summer and Alex.
‘Dude, what the fuck are you doing? It’s…’ Alex started.
‘3 AM’ Rian finished.
‘Did you hang out with Donna till 3 AM?’ Summer asked interested.
‘Uh yeah’ Jack replied.
‘And?’ Summer asked curiously.
‘And what?’ Jack replied.
‘Did something happen?’ Summer asked.
I was still pretending to be asleep.
‘Well… yeah, we kissed’ Jack replied.
‘Yay!’ Summer exclaimed. ‘Good for you. Now go change and go to sleep’
‘You’re such a girl’ Alex told Summer.
‘Yeah, it would be awkward if she wasn’t’ Rian replied.
‘Is Zack still asleep?’ Summer asked, ignoring Alex’s and Rian’s comments.
‘Probably not’ Alex said. ‘He can’t have slept through that noise’
I heard Summer get out of her bunk and open the curtains of my bunk. I quickly closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep.
‘Yeah, he’s pretending to be asleep’ Summer noted.
Damn, I thought. Now she’s just gonna annoy me until I stop pretending to be asleep. I kept pretending though.
‘Just leave him’ Rian advised her.
Luckily she decided to leave me alone and she closed the curtains. I kept my eyes close for some time in case she was trying to trick me. She didn’t though.
‘So what’s gonna happen with you and Donna now?’ Summer asked Jack.
‘I don’t know. She’s coming over tomorrow morning, but after that I probably won’t be able to see her for a while’ Jack said.
He sounded sad.
‘So you really like her?’ Rian asked.
‘Yeah I do’ Jack replied.
‘Cool’ Alex said.
‘Can we all just go to bed now?’ Summer suggested.
They all got into their bunks and someone turned the lights off. Finally.

Rian’s POV
I was thinking of Jess. She had texted me to let me know the police arrested Chad, but she would call me to explain everything tomorrow. I really wished I could just be in Baltimore with her. She could probably use me right now. That was definitely the biggest disadvantage of our relationship. I could never be there for her. I was hardly ever there to comfort her when she needed it, I could never go to the performances of her band The Chasing Sunrise or to her kick box competitions. She kick boxed at a high level and belonged to the best female kick boxer of the USA, but I would never be able to watch her competitions. Not that I enjoyed watching it though. What guy would like to see their girl get her ass kicked? Not that Jess got her ass kicked very often, but she would still get beaten up pretty badly. The benefit of Jess’ kick boxing was that I didn’t have to worry about her, usually. She could take care of herself very well, but well, that hadn’t been very useful in this Chad situation. It was times like these when I wished I wasn’t touring all over the world, but on the other hand, I wouldn’t change it for anything. I loved my job. I was very lucky with Jess. She never complained about me being on tour so much. Well, she watched All Time Low grow and just kind of went along with it. I was still afraid she would be sick of it someday, though. Of me always being gone… It hadn’t happened yet and she always said it never would, but well…

After worrying for a while I finally fell asleep, to be woken up way too early by Matt who was trying to wake Jack.
‘Hey Barakat, your girlfriend’s here’ he said.
Judged by the sound, Matt slapped Jack in the face trying to wake him. I opened the curtain of my bunk. Donna was sitting on the couch awkwardly. I noticed the curtains to Zack’s bunk were open already.
‘Where’s Zack?’ I asked Matt.
‘He went out for a run’ Matt replied.
He slapped Jack again because he wasn’t reacting. Jack then finally moved.
‘Matt, you fucking…’ Jack started.
‘Your girlfriend’s here’ Matt said.
Jack leaned over the edge of his bunk, and then saw Donna. He suddenly got up very quick.
‘Damn, I forgot to set my alarm’ Jack said as he jumped out of his bunk. ‘I’m sorry, I’ll hurry’.
‘It’s okay’ Donna said awkwardly.

Jack rushed into the bathroom. I didn’t know if Alex and Summer were awake yet. I waited for Jack to come out of the bathroom and then went in to get dressed. When I got out of the bathroom, Jack, Donna and Matt were gone, and Alex and Summer still hadn’t come out of their bunks. I opened the curtain of Alex’s bunk.
‘Hey Gaskarth, get that lazy ass of yours out of your bed’ I yelled.
Alex woke up, not very amused.
‘Good, now get dressed’ I told him. ‘We have to leave soon’.
‘Where is everyone?’ Alex asked sleepy.
‘Jack and Donna went out and Zack is out for a run’ I replied. ‘Do I have to drag you out of your bed?’
‘Dude, stop acting like you’re Matt’ Alex replied, but he did get out of his bed. Good.
‘And tell Summer to get dressed if you’re done’ I said.
I walked towards the sink to make coffee. It took a while before Alex got out of the bathroom, considering the amount of time it took to make his hair look good. Jack was extraordinary fast today since he didn’t want to make Donna wait any longer. His hair was a mess though. Eventually Alex got out of the bathroom and woke Summer. After she went into the bathroom Alex grabbed a cup of coffee and sat down next to me.
‘Did you talk to Zack before he left?’ Alex asked.
‘No, he was gone before I woke up’ I replied.
‘Then how do you know he went for a run? What if he left?’ Alex asked.
‘Matt said he went for a run. He wouldn’t just leave like that. That’s not like him’ I said.
‘Well, getting mad isn’t like him either but he did that too’ Alex replied.
I raised my eyebrows. ‘Really Alex, really? Don’t go there again. Just fix this’ I said. ‘Whatever it takes’.
‘Do you want me to break up with Summer?’ Alex asked.
‘Look that’s not what I meant, but please Alex, don’t just think about yourself here. For example, Jack needs this band, because he can’t do anything except play guitar’ I said.
‘He can’t even do that’ Alex joked.
‘In fact, we all need this band, and you know it. I’m not telling you to break up with Summer. I’m telling you to make things right with Zack. Ask him what he wants, and how he wants to solve this’ I said.
‘Well, he’s gonna have to talk to me first’ Alex said.
‘What’s there to say?’
Alex and I turned around. Zack had just entered the bus and was very sweaty.
‘I think we pretty much covered it all’ Zack said.
‘Look Zack, I don’t want you to leave the band over this…’ Alex said.
‘Leave the band? What makes you think I’d leave the band over this? It’s all I’ve got left, I’m not letting that go’ Zack replied.
I could tell he really felt like it was all he had left.
‘Come on Zack, it’s not all you have left’ I said.
‘What else do I have then?’ Zack asked.
‘You have us’ I replied.
‘Uh yeah, and since when are you not part of the band?’ Zack replied.
‘Oh yeah, you’re right…’ I said.
‘But the point is, that I don’t wanna leave either’ Alex continued. ‘I want to fix this. I don’t want to fight with you’ Alex said.
Alex and I looked at Zack.
‘Well, then what do you suggest?’ Zack asked.
‘Well, I don’t wanna break up with Summer, but maybe we can come up with another solution’ Alex said.
‘Can’t you just get over yourselves already? Both of you’ Summer, who was standing in the doorway of the bathroom, said. ‘I will not let you fight over me. If it’s really that important, I’ll just break up with Alex and go home. It’s not worth it.’
Alex and Zack both looked at Summer, realizing she was right.
‘I don’t want the breakup of All Time Low on my conscience, so unless you figure this out, we’re done and I’m going home. Now go get this right’
She sounded like my mom, but she was right. Summer then left the bus.
♠ ♠ ♠
Longest chapter yet, I believe. Hope you like it.

Note: The bandname The Chasing Sunrise comes from @ElleKimberly :)
The song Alex wrote is part of an unreleased song Alex once sung live called Living The Dream. It's on YouTube ;)