Basically the Scariest Pokemon Out There, and He's My Sanity

Chapter 14

I sat down on one of the benches near the emergency room, Gastly floated to my right, and Arcanine kneeled down on the floor at my feet. He stared straight ahead at the door of the emergency room.

“Poor Arcanine,” I muttered. I leaned down and petted his soft, orange, black, and white fur. “Don’t you worry, Nurse Joy will definitely bring Growlithe back to full health in no time.” Arcanine tilted his head up at me. Then without a sound he lowered his huge head down to the floor, whimpered once, and closed his eyes. Next to me I felt Gastly lean on me and he closed his eyes as well.

“Gastly,” Gastly said. I nodded and leaned back on the back of the bench.

“You two are right. We might as well get some sleep while we wait for Growlithe to be healed,” I said. I closed my eyes and darkness took over as my mind drifted into a dream.

I raced along the edge of the mountain path. They were repulsive. Simply repulsive. They didn’t seem to understand that Pokémon can feel pain, that they have souls too.

“Haunter! Haunt Haunter!” Haunter warned me as he floated next to me.

“Don’t worry Haunter! Getting our friends back is more important than my safety right now. I can’t let them get away just because a mountain is in the way!” I yelled, my voice once again sounder older, but not by much this time. Haunter floated in front of me.

“Haunt haunt!” he said. I shook my head as I ran.

“Haunter! There’s no other way to quickly catch up to them! And this is the widest and safest path up here that I could find!” I said. Then Haunter smirked and his eyes glowed the same purple that surrounded me in that instant. I smiled and told him that he was a genius. We floated up over the mountain and quickly caught up with the helicopter.

When we approached the helicopter, the door into it opened and a Houndoom appeared.

“Houndoom! Use flamethrower to knock that pest out of the sky!” its trainer yelled. Houndoom did as it was told and a ray of fire came towards me.

“Haunter!” I said. Haunter nodded, however another attack came out from the helicopter and hit Haunter before he could move me. I stared at the flamethrower with wide, fearful eyes. I screamed as the flames engulfed me, even though I felt no pain. Still I kept screaming and saw the flames lick at my skin, beginning to turn it black. Eventually the purple aura around diminished and I fell out of the fire. My screaming had stopped and I felt myself on the verge of unconsciousness.

“Hannah!” two voices yelled below. I struggled to open my eyes. When I did I saw two very important people in my life. For some reason I just couldn’t remember their names.

“I’m sorry guys, this time I was too weak,” I muttered. I saw a bright shining light in the sky and closed my eyes. “This is it. I’m sorry.”

I jerked awake and looked around me to see that Gastly and Arcanine were still asleep. I smiled at the site. My attention drifted to the emergency doors just in time to see the red light go off. I rubbed my eyes.

“I wonder how long I was asleep,” I muttered. Suddenly Nurse Joy came out of the double doors, smiled at me, and gave a thumbs up. I grinned and nodded. She beckoned me to follow her and I did, leaving Gastly and Arcanine to sleep.

“Should we wake them?” I whispered to her. She looked at them, smiled, and then shook her head.

“No, why don’t we let those two rest for a while? I’m sure Arcanine could use it after taking care of his injured pup for so long,” she said. I nodded. We went through the double doors and she led me to a room where Growlithe was sleeping in a chamber, a small smile on her face.

“Aw, she looks happy,” I whispered. Nurse Joy nodded.

“Yes. The poor thing had a twisted ankle and the beginning symptoms of the flu,” Nurse Joy said.

“Really?” I looked up at Nurse Joy.

“Uh huh. It’s a good thing you had found her when you did. I couldn’t imagine what would have happened if you found her any later,” she said. I smiled and looked back at Growlithe.

“How long do you think she’ll have to stay here?” I asked.

“Only a few more days. She didn’t twist her ankle too bad and her temperature is already going back to the normal temperature for a Growlithe,” she said. I nodded.

“Good. I’m sure Arcanine will be happy to hear that,” I said.

We walked back out into the lobby where I had left Gastly and Arcanine sleeping. However, when we came back they were no longer sleeping. Arcanine was pacing back and forth and Gastly was looking around everywhere nervously.

“What’s wrong Arcanine? Gastly?” I asked. They both looked at me and Gastly nearly tackled me to the ground.

“Gastly! Gast gastly!” he said, rubbing his face against mine. I laughed and patted the top of his floating head.

“Gastly, I was only gone for maybe ten minutes. Besides, I was checking on Growlithe,” I said. At this point I turned towards Arcanine who was staring at me. “Don’t worry Arcanine, Growlithe looks perfectly fine. She’s smiling in her sleep and she only has to stay here for another day or so.” Arcanine smiled and laid back down, motioning for Gastly and me to come over. I sat on the ground next to Arcanine and Gastly went on the other side of him. Arcanine leaned into me, then away, silently telling me to lay on him. I smiled and did as he told me to.

“Thanks Arcanine. I’ll check on your Growlithe later today okay? And I’ll make sure you know how she is every step of the way,” I said. Arcanine quietly barked, showing that he agreed.