Status: New Jack Barakat Story :O

The Way Things Work

Christmas Eve, Part 1

December 24th. The busiest day of my life. Alex woke me up at 5:30 so we could go Christmas shopping before Raleigh got up. This was the one thing that hadn’t change after Raleigh was born, we still got up early on the 24th and went shopping.

“So what’s on the schedule for this weekend” I asked him once we were in his car, shivering because he hadn’t started it before hand.

“Um. The band and crew Christmas party is tonight at the house. Mom and Dad’s family thing is tomorrow, and then Baylee’s family is coming over Sunday.” he said.

“You mean I have to see him tonight?” I said.

“Well technically, you do have to see his body, but you don’t have to interact with him?” he said, slightly confused. I laughed and smacked his arm.

“Abuse!” he said.

“Hey, do people still ask you if we’re twins?” I said.

“Yeah. What made you think of that?” he said.

“Well growing up they always thought we were twins, because we were so close. And you’re only 19 months older than me.” I said.

Our shopping went well and we got home at 11:30, so we started decorating, even though the party wasn’t until 8. We were surprised at 1:30 by Jack knocking on the door, I stupidly let Raleigh answer the door.

“Hi!.” she said.

“Hi Raleigh, is your uncle home?” he said.

“He’s in the kitchen” I said, taking the door in my hand. He nodded and brushed passed me, sending those familiar tingles down my spine. I couldn’t still like him, could I? In the other room, I heard Jack and Alex talking but I didn’t know about what. Then I heard Jack walk up the stairs.

“Hey Maddie, could you go upstairs and talk to Jack. Please. If not for me, for your daughter.” he said. I sighed and nodded, walking up the stairs and into Alex’s room.

“You mean you actually agreed to talk to me?” Jack asked, shutting the door behind me. I nodded, bitting my lip.

“What did you want to talk about.” I sat crossed legged on Alex’s bed, him sitting in front of me, holding a book.

“I wanted to show you something but first let me explain.” he said. “Me and Holly broke up, she told me that I needed to man up a lot more. She said that there’ll be a time in Raleigh’s life that the void I left in her life can’t be filled by Alex. The last thing I said to you before your brother beat the shit out of me for getting you pregnant, I regretted it the minute I said it. You’d already left before I could take it back. The next thing I knew, your brother had put me in the hospital.”

“So what about after she was born, Jack?” I said. “Why didn’t you even see if you could hold her?”

“I took one look at her and it was too much. My heart hurt because of everything I’d put you through. She looked so much like you, she still does.” he said. “You probably have heard this song, but it’s about you and Raleigh” he pick the acoustic guitar up and started strumming.

I was dreaming we were running
From a city burning,
Down, down, down

Made a break, a new escape
And made the world crash
Down, down, down
(Wooh!)
Now there's a piece of me
Tells me I shouldn't leave
Everytime I see your face
(Everytime I see your face)
Because everytime
You come around
Wow, you take my breath away
And I don't wanna leave until
I take you in
I never want you to leave until
I take you in
(But the truth is)
She has no idea
(No idea)
That I'm even here
(That I'm even here)
She has no idea
(No idea)
That I'm even here
(That I'm even here)
(Yeah)
Get a grip
Slip and trip
Over clumsy killers
Words, words, words
Paint the fin-
Thinned prince
Under softly spoken
Verbs, verbs, verbs
Now there's so much of me
Telling me not to leave
Everytime I see your face
(Everytime I see your face)
Because everytime
You come around
(How you take my breath away)
And I don't wanna leave until
I take you in
I never want you to leave until
I take you in
(But the truth is)
She has no idea
(No idea)
That I'm even here
(That I'm even here)
She has no idea
(No idea)
That I'm even here
(That I'm even here)
(Yeah)
She's so close when I'm so far away
When I'm so far away
Let me dream
Let me stay
She's so close when I'm so far away
When I'm so far away
I can sleep
I can dream
I can stay
She has no idea
(No idea)
But I'm so far away
She has no idea
That I'm so far away
Yeah
She has no idea
(No idea)
That I'm even here
(That I'm even here)
She has no idea
(No idea)
That I'm even here
(That I'm even here)
She has no idea
(No idea)
That I'm even here
(That I'm even here)
She has no idea
(No idea)
That I'm even here
(That I'm even here)
She has no idea
Dea, dea
She has no idea
Dea, dea
She has no idea
Dea, dea
She has no idea
Dea, dea
She has no idea

I stared at him for a long time.

“That’s one of my favorite song you guys have recorded, Jack” I said.

“Yeah, thats what Alex told me. I missed you Maddie. I want to be in Raleigh’s life. I want to be her father figure.” he said. I almost started crying, hugging him.

“Of course Jackary. You may be an asshole, but you’re Raleigh’s father.” I said. He chuckled and pulled his wallet out.

“Alex gave me one of her school pictures. He also told me the story behind it.” he said, showing me her school picture. She had her hair up in pigtails and wearing a Jagk shirt. I giggled.

“Yes. I had already left for work, that’s how it works around here. He gets her up and gets her dressed and takes her to school, I pick her up from school. He told me she wouldn’t take the Jagk shirt off.” I said.

“Yeah. That’s what he told me too.” he said.

“He said that she’s the only girl that’s ever made his heart physically hurt when he’s on tour. He and Baylee talked about having kids before they got engaged, and they did decide they were okay with adoption.” I said as I laid back on the bed and uncrossing my legs. He crawled up next to me and intertwined our hands.

“You know, this is wrong.” he said.

“What do you mean?”I said. He looked at me.

“You’re still dating Blake, Maddie. So technically. This is wrong.” he said. Holding our hands up.

“I don’t love him, though Jack. I never quit loving you.” I said. I closed my eyes, sighing. I knew me and Jack being together was wrong, but it felt so right. I felt the bed move and when I opened my eyes. Jack was looking down at me.

“I never quit loving you either, Maddie. I couldn’t love anyone else. Can....Can I kiss you?” He said. He knew he could do it and surprise me and me be okay with it but he seriously wanted to know if he could this time. I nodded and he slowly and softly pressed his lips to mine I smiled into the kiss and kissed him back. His hands started to roam my body, and willingly allowed him to undress me and take advantage of my body unprotected, right then and there, on my brothers bed. Of course, we knew if we got caught by Alex fucking on his bed, we would get killed, so we had to be quiet. Once we were done, and re-dressed, he looked at me.

“We need to tell Raleigh. Unless you want to put a bow on me and give me to her for Christmas” he said. I laughed and grabbed a bow from the box Alex had full of christmas paper and stuff. I then stuck the bow on his worn flannel and kissed his cheek.

“I’ll be right back.” I said, walking downstairs.

“Hey! Maddie, you’re phones been ringing for the past ten minutes. How’d it go with Jackary?” Alex said.

“Good. We’re back together. We both are still in love with each other. Alex, I know its wrong, but it feels so right.” I said.

“Fucking took you long enough. ANSWER YOUR FUCKING PHONE!” He said. Handing me the iPhone. I saw it was the office and opted to call them back.

“Raleigh. Go to Uncle Alexs room for me.” I said. Alex gave me a look that said “Jack” and I nodded before following the five year old up the steps.

“Mommy I don’t understand” Raleigh told me, looking at Jack then me.

“Raleigh you know how you said you wanted your daddy. Well Jack here, is your daddy.” I said.

“But Jack Jack can’t be my daddy. He’s in Uncle Alex’s band.” she said. I laughed and Jack chuckled, before getting down on her level.

“Honey. I was your daddy before any of the camera people and the crazy girls had heard of the band. I was your daddy at this time six years ago, actually six years ago tonight.” he said, remembering the fact our daughter was conceived on Christmas Eve.

“He’s right, princess. He was your daddy before any of that.” I said. He held his arms out for a hug and she hugged him tightly.

“She’s so little” he told me.

“I’m not little!” she said, hearing him.

“Oh yeah? How old are you?” he said.

“I’m five.” she said.

“I’m twenty-two, so I’m older. You are little.” He said. I rolled my eyes and saw my phone was ringing again.

“Hello?” I asked finally answering it.

“Oh thank god, Maddie. You have to get down the office. It’s an emergency.” Alanah’s voice met my ears.

“But it’s Christmas.” I said.

“I know but it’s important, Maddie. Please.” she said.

“Okay. But I’m not dressing up.” I said.

“Fine. Just hurry.” she said. And hung up.

“Jack, I have to go. Take Raleigh downstairs and tell Alex I have an emergency at work. I might be a while.” I said. He nodded and I grabbed his hoodie before running out to the car. Once coming into the office, I had a file shoved into my hands.

“Haley Michelle Williams. Age 3. Abused by alcoholic parents. Sister called us before her father went on a killing rampage killing his wife, his oldest son, and his oldest daughter before killing himself.” Alanah told me. I nodded.

“And on Christmas Eve. Such a shame. Was the girl around at the time of the killing?” I said. She shook her head.

“The child was taking her nap upstairs.” she said.

“Thats good.. Okay let me read her file real quick.” I said and began reading the papers in front of me. Haley Michelle Williams. Age 3, Born December 14. Older sister, Olivia, older brother, Evan. Parents Kenny and Nicole were killed December 24.

“Hey, Alanah?” I said.

“Yeah?” she asked.

“I’m going to take her home with me tonight” I said.

“Why?” she said.

“I know the perfect set of parents for her” I finished before walking into the other room.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo! It was rushed, I know. x)
But at least it's up.:)