Only Exception

08

I opened my eyes to see Mikael gazing at me with interest. His eyes seemed to light up as he noticed I was awake. “To think that you’ve been running for over 300 years from me. It’s an awfully long time.” He got up and came to stand in front of me.

It was then that I noticed I had been tied up against a wall. My hands were bound by chains and held above me. That’s why they had felt so weak. I was being forced to stand up. I hissed at Mikael when I thought he had come close enough.

He stopped and gazed at me with amusement. “Don’t you get tired of running, of fighting?” he asked. He chuckled even though I had no idea what was so funny. “You can’t run any longer though, dear. Now you’re mine. And your beloved should be here any second now.”

Right on cue the doors to my dingy prison burst open and cast more light inside. I could then see I was inside a large stone room. There were various stakes scattered across tables around the small room. A few candles burned near where Mikael had sat on a chair.

Klaus immediately strolled forward looking murderous. “Mikael!” he shouted, letting his voice echo loudly around the room.

“See, I told you,” he said to me, smiling. He still had yet to turn around and look at Klaus as he came forward with quick steps. “That’s close enough, boy,” said Mikael without turning around. Klaus had seemed to cross an invisible line. He paid him no attention though and took to more steps forward. “I said that’s close enough,” warned Mikael. “Or I’ll put a stake through her heart.” I suddenly felt the sharp tip pressing against my chest. Looking down I saw a long wooden stake pointed right at my heart.

Looking at Klaus I saw him halt in his footsteps. His horrified eyes met mine for a second before they became angered again and turned to Mikael. “Let her go,” demanded Klaus. “This doesn’t concern her.”

“Of course it does,” said Mikael removing the stake from point where my heart. He turned to look at Klaus for the first time. “You defied me for this wench.” Klaus growled and took a step forward. Before either of us could react, the stake was then protruding out of my stomach and I gasped in pain. It was so great that I couldn’t even choke out a scream. “Move again and it goes into her heart.”

Klaus held still but looked like he wanted nothing more than to run up and tear his father’s heart out. “That’s it,” he said grinning. As I saw his facial expression I felt a shudder run through me. He looked like a mad man. The stake was pulled out of my stomach and I panted trying to control the pain, as my wound healed.

I looked up to see Klaus staring at me with pain in his eyes. Every muscle in his body was tense. He looked ready to spring for any opening. “Now what should I do about your defiance?” asked Mikael, turning to Klaus once again.

“Let her go,” demanded Klaus through gritted teeth. He seemed to be holding in his pain as his eyes kept traveling to my pitiful state.

“That’s not an option,” said Mikael sorrowfully. “I think I may just have to kill her.”

“I love her,” said Klaus as tears filled his eyes in frustration. There didn’t seem to be any way he could save me. Mikael could easily kill me before he reached either of us.

“And that should stop me?” asked Mikael as a rhetorical question. “You killed the woman I love. Let’s make it even shall we?” Mikael turned ready to plunge the stake into my heart. I closed my eyes once I saw it coming.

“No!” shouted Klaus. It was a short and demanding word. It made Mikael pause just as the tip scratched my skin. “Don’t kill her. Please.”

“You’re right,” mused Mikael and once again took the stake away from heart. He turned and held it out towards Klaus. “You should do it. And don’t worry, I can still rip her heart out if you try anything.” Klaus hesitantly took the stake. His mind seemed to be churning rapidly, looking for a way to escape.

I could imagine the haughty look Mikael was giving Klaus. Klaus’ eyes came to meet mine for what seemed like a minute and less than a second at the same time. I knew what I had to do. 300 of being with someone, let you know them pretty well.

Summoning up what energy I could I pulled myself up off the ground and kicked out in one fluid motion. I hit Mikael squarely in the back and he went tumbling forward. Klaus ran forward and plunged the wooden stake into Mikael’s chest causing him to stumble and fall.

In that time Klaus ran up and undid my wrists from the chains. I dropped to the ground, feeling weak. Klaus supported me, making me stand up. “Run,” he said into my ear. I looked up to see Mikael pull the wooden stake out of his heart. “Run,” Klaus said forcefully.

Using the reserve energy I had, I dashed towards the door. I was about to reach it when a stake plunged its way into my shoulder. I lost my momentum and stumbled the rest of the way towards the door. “No!” I heard Klaus shout and then heard the sounds of things being knocked over.

I touched the handle of the door and turned around to look at what was going on. “Run!” shouted Klaus as he saw me pause. I didn’t wait another second before I pulled the door open and then ran out into the corridor. It took me another minute to find the exit and then I was outside running through the forest, towards our home.

Image

“You and she are both dead!” Mikael shouted after me as I fled the room. “I will hunt you till the end of time!” I knew he would and that only pushed me faster. My wounds healed as I ran. I knew where Victoria would go. As I entered the space of our tiny cottage I spied her sitting on the sofa.

I went over and immediately wrapped my arms around her. There were tears in her eyes and she readily returned the embrace. “It is alright, sweetheart,” I said to comfort her. “We are both okay.”

“He wants us dead, Klaus,” she whispered. “And I don’t think he’ll ever stop.” I stayed silent, not having the heart to tell her she was correct.

“We’ll survive, Victoria. I will make sure of it. He will not touch you again.” That promise I intended to keep. Nothing would harm her.

“Love,” she said softly. I pulled away to look at her. “I have an idea but I don’t even know if it is possible.”

“I’ll try anything. I’m not losing you.” I wiped away the tears from her eyes.

“I love you,” she said and pulled me back into her embrace.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not much but I figured I would get something out to you guys as I attempt to find out where this is going