Status: On Hold.

A Life as a Pirate

The Curse is lifted and the Gallows

I ran down to Jack and hugged him. “I told you to trust me, love,” he smiled rubbing my shoulder. I stepped back and then slapped him. “Oi! What was that for?”
“That was for making me think you were dead,” I spat.
He nodded his head thinking for a moment, “I guess I deserved that one.”
I smiled hugging him again. He pulled me along with him as he went searching through the treasure, placing a gold crown on his head and a few other trinkets on his neck and arms. We then walked over to Will.
“If you were waiting for the opportune moment…That was it. Now, if you’d be so kind, I’d be much obliged if you’d drop me off at my ship.”
We climbed into one of the life boats and started to row out, to see that the Black Pearl was gone.
“I’m sorry, Jack,” Elizabeth said from the back.
“They done what’s right by them. Can’t expect more than that,” he grumbled.
I frowned looking away. I knew what this meant for Jack. I climbed up next to him and touched his arm. “Jack,” I whispered. He said nothing back. I laid my head down on his arm and took his hand in mine. My feelings for Jack had grown over the time I’ve spent out at sea. I could feel now that if he were sentenced to death and hung in the gallows, I wouldn’t handle it as well as if I had just met him.
We reached the Interceptor and as soon as Jack set foot on it, he was taken down to the brig. I went to follow but the Governor called Will and I to his side.
“Yes, Governor Swann,” questioned Will.
“Well I have decided to not hold your present actions against, seeing that if they hadn’t been taken I would no longer have a daughter. But I must warn you, if you ever engage into piracy again I will be forced to send you to the gallows, joining Mr. Sparrow’s fate.” The Governor then nodded and walked away.
“Thank you, Governor,” Will called after him.
I quickly turned and rushed down below to where the cells were, before Will could catch me. None of the Royal Navy was present and I went straight to Jack’s cell. He sat his back turned to the small hallway. I sat down on the wooden floor behind him and reached through the bars, touching his shoulder.
“Ye shouldn’t be down here, love,” he grumbled.
“Aye,” I whispered, “I probably shouldn’t. But I am.”
I could see Jack smirk from under his hat. He turned so he was facing me. Tears wield up in my eyes as I saw his sad expression. I grabbed his hand through the bars. I bowed my head and began to cry.
“Don’t cry, love,” he murmured. Jack pushed my long brown hair back and tucked it behind my ears. “Please don’t cry.”
I looked up at him, “I’m not gonna let this happen.”
Jack chuckled, “There isn’t really much you can do, love.”
“No,” I growled. “I won’t let them. They can’t do this. They just can’t.” More tears began to flow down my face.
“Shh,” Jack murmured stroking my face with his thumb. He placed his forehead against the cold bars. “This was going to happen one way or another, Jezabell.” He grabbed his hat, “Here.” He placed it on my head.
“Jack,” I whispered. “I…I can’t,” I took the hat off, “It’s yours.”
He smiled sadly, “I won’t be needin’ it no more.”
“No!” I cried at him. “Will and I will figure out a way to get you away.”
“Jezabell,” he whispered pulling my face closer to him. “Don’t. I don’t need you gettin’ yourself killed trying to save me.”
“But, Jack…” I whispered.
Jack shook his head, his warm breath hitting my face. Jack gently pulled me closer pressing his lips to mine. His lips were warm and moist. One hand caressed my face while with the other he ran his fingers through my hair. He then gently pulled away and gazed at me.
“I won’t let you die,” I whispered.
Jack smiled shaking his head, “I love your determination, love. But I don’t see how you can some them, seeing as they probably won’t let you come see me when we get to Port Royal.” I frowned and laid down on the floor. “What ye doin’, love?”
“Laying down,” I gazed up at him, “I’m not leaving till I have to.”
He smiled and laid down next to me. He stuck his arm through the bars and took my hand. I closed my eyes wishing I could sleep forever.
“Jezabell,” Jack whispered to me.
“Hum,” I mumbled drunk with sleep.
He reached up and touched my face, “Sleep well, darlin’.”
I smiled as I drifted away into memory like dreams.
*************************************************************************************
The drums signaled the hanging. Beating together in an unforgivable tempo. Will and I walked through the crowd together as the drums continued to beat. Will had an incredibly unnecessary brown hat on with a large feather sticking out the back of it. He also wore a large red cape that canceled his two swords. I too had on a hat, Jack’s hat. And concealing my two swords I had on a long black cloak.
“For your willful commission of crimes against the crown,” said the man standing up near Jack as he read off all that he had done. “Said crimes being numerous in quantity and sinister in nature. The most egregious of these to be cited herewith. Piracy, smuggling, impersonating an officer of the Spanish Royal Navy, impersonating a cleric of the church of England, sailing under false colors, arson, kidnapping, looting, poaching, brigandage, pilfering, depravity,” the squawking drew me away from Jack’s sad position and over to where Mr. Cotton’s parrot was perched on one of the flag holders. I nudged Will and he looked over as well. We then turned and started over to Elizabeth, “depredation, and general lawlessness. And for these crimes you have been sentenced to be, on this day, hung by the neck until dead. May God have mercy soul.”
“Governor Swann,” spoke Will. “Commodore. Elizabeth. I should have told you every day from the moment I met you. I love you.” Will then turned quickly, and after a nod I turned with him, shoving through the crowd. The drum roll began and the noose was put around Jack’s neck. Will and I drew our swords, “Move!” we shouted together. The drum roll stopped and the leaver was pulled. Both Will and I chucked our swords at the trap door to the noose as it opened, just high enough for Jack to stand on and not choke.
Will and I then ran up to the plat form. Will began to fight with the man that pulled the leaver as I fended off the Royal Navy. The man with the ax swung around, missing Will and cutting the rope that had Jack. Will shoved the man over the edge, knocking him down on the Commodore and then he and I jumped down next to Jack. Jack tossed us the other end of the rope and we ran at three of the Royal Navy, knocking them down on their backs with the ropes and then tripping to more on the stairs. We crossed sides and caught two more with the rope and pulled them up against the stone column, knocking them out. Two more Red Coats came after us and Will threw one down the stairs and Jack punched the other. The three of us did a summersault to avoid the swing of a Red Coat but then were quickly surrounded by men with bayonets. Jack grabbed me holding me close to his chest keeping me between him and Will.
“I thought we might endure some ill-conceived escape attempt,” the Commodore said to Will. “But not from you two.”
“On our return to Port Royal, I granted you clemency. And this is how you thank me? By throwing in your lot with him? He’s a pirate!” Scolded the Governor.
“And a good man,” Will shot back. “If all I have achieved is the hangman will earn two pairs of boots…”
“Three,” I squeaked in.
“Instead of one, so be it,” Will continued. “My conscience will be clear.”
“You forget your place, Turner.” Growled the Commodore.
“It’s right here,” he whispered back, “between you and Jack and Jezabell.”
Elizabeth walked over and took Will’s hand. “As is mine.”
“Elizabeth!” gasped the Governor. “Lower your weapons. For goodness sake, put them down!”
The men with the bayonets backed off.
“So this is where your heart truly lies, then?” the Commodore asked Elizabeth.
“It is,” she whispered back.
“Jezabell,” Jack whispered in my ear.
I turned to him, “You must go,” I smiled, “I know.”
“You’re welcome to come with me, darlin’.” He smiled back.
I shook my head, “Not yet.” He looked puzzled. “I have to stay here for a while longer, with Will and Elizabeth. But I have a strong feeling our paths will cross again.” He smiled and I handed his hat back. “I think you’ll be needin’ that, captain.”
He put it on; “Well!” he turned and walked around Elizabeth and Will, “I’m actually feeling rather good about this. I think we’ve all arrived at a very special place,” he said getting into the Governor’s face. I giggled. “Spiritually. Ecumenically. Grammatically.” Jack then got into the Commodore’s face, “I want you to know that I was rooting for you, mate. Know that.” He turned and looked at Elizabeth, “Elizabeth. It would never have worked between us, darling. I’m sorry.” He quickly walked over to me. “But us,” he smirked and then kissed me, “I shall see you again soon, love.” He turned to my brother. “Will… Nice hat.” He then jogged up to the walls edge and turned around to us all. “Friends. This is a day that you will always remember as the day that…” he tripped over the edge and fell down to the water below.
“Jack!” I giggled running to the edge to see him resurface.
“Idiot,” chuckled Norrington’s right hand man. “He has nowhere to go but back to the noose.”
“Sail ho!” shouted a familiar voice. And out from behind the large rocks came the Black Pearl.
“What’s your plan of action?” The Commodore said nothing. “Sir?”
“Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of piracy, and piracy itself can be the right course?” asked the Governor.
“Mr. Turner,” the Commodore growled. “This is a beautiful sword. I would expect the man who made it to show the same care and devotion in every aspect of his life.”
“Thank you,” said Will. The Commodore then turned and started to walk away.
“Commodore! What about Sparrow?”
“Well, I think we can afford to give him one day’s head start.” He and his men the quickly left to return to their posts.
“So. This is the path you’ve chosen, is it?” the Governor asked Elizabeth. “After all, he is a blacksmith.”
“No,” whispered Elizabeth as she removed Will’s hat, “He’s a pirate.”
Will then grabbed Elizabeth and began to kiss her. “Ew! Wait until I’ve closed my eyes at least!” I shouted at them covering my eyes with my hands.
They laughed at me, “Come here,” Will called to me. I ran over and we all enveloped each other with hugs. I knew now that this would be my family and it was the start to my life as forever being a pirate.