Status: On Hold.

A Life as a Pirate

Left our Marks

The sound of pounding footsteps could be heard coming down the stair well I turned and saw two pairs of red coats. The opened mine and Will’s cell.
“Lord Beckett would like to speak with you two,” one man said while another clapped the cuffs on my wrists again.
“What does Beckett want with me,” I snapped, “I am just a woman after all.”
“Lord Beckett is aware that you are a woman and a pirate. He is also aware that you might be of some value to Sparrow,” the man said as he pushed me out of the cell and up the stairs.
I turned to him, “Captain Sparrow. If you choose to speak in titles,” I sneered.
The man shoved me all the way up to where Beckett was staying, with Will right behind me.
“Lord Beckett, the prisoners as you ordered, sir.”
Beckett turned and pointed to mine and Will’s cuffs, “Those won’t be necessary.” The man quickly unlocked mine and Will’s cuffs.
“The East India Trading Company has need of your services,” Beckett said pouring three glasses of rum. He then offered it to Will and me but neither of us took it. “We wish for you to act as our agents in a business transaction with our mutual friend Captain Sparrow.”
“More acquaintance than friend,” said Will, “How do you know him?”
“We’ve had dealings in the past.” He pulled out a poker from the fire that had a ‘P’ on the end for branding. The same type of ‘P’ that was on Jack’s arm. “And we’ve each left our mark on the other.”
“What mark did he leave on you,” I asked.
“By your efforts, Jack Sparrow was set free,” Beckett said placing the poker back into the fire. “I would like you to go to him and recover a certain property in his possession.”
“Recover,” murmured Will. “At the point of a sword?”
“Bargain.” He walked over and pulled something out of a small chest, “Letters of marquee. You will offer what amounts to a full pardon. Jack will be free, a privateer in the employ of England.”
“Somehow I doubt Jack will consider employment the same as being free.”
“Freedom,” Beckett whispered. He then put away the letter and walked out onto the deck. “Jack Sparrow is a dying breed. The world is shrinking, the blank edges of the map filled in. Jack must find his place in the New World or perish. Not unlike you, Mr. Turner, Miss Turner. You two and Miss Swann face the hangman’s noose.”
“So you get both Jack and the Black Pearl,” murmured Will.
“The Black Pearl?”
“The property you want that he possesses.”
“A ship? Hardly. The item in question is considerably smaller and far more valuable, something Sparrow keeps on his person at all times. A compass?” My eyes widened slightly. “Ah, you know it. Bring back that compass or there’s no deal.” Beckett then turned and walked away. “Oh and Miss Turner,” he turned and looked at me, “Do remind Jack, if needed that this deal shall either save your life or end it. Depending on what he shall choose.” He smirked, “You two are free to go and find Jack now, good day.”