Tears Like Diamonds

Confrontation

Carlos rubbed his palms together, trying to stop the way they trembled. The others had left shortly after his conversation with Charlotte to give him some privacy. His russet eyes flickered to the digital clock on the nightstand. The red numbers blinked only two minutes later than the last time he checked. He tried desperately to calm his racing heart as he looked at the clock again. Any moment and she would bounce through the door.

As if on cue, a sharp rap at the door penetrated the silence. Carlos stood on shaky legs, trying to mentally prepare himself as his hand rested on the doorknob. He wasn’t quite sure what he would say when he saw her. He owed her an apology for bringing up the past. At the same time, he needed to make sure she was okay. He had a feeling it wouldn’t come out right; she had a way of making him tongue-tied.

He swung the door open, and there stood Charlotte on the other side. Her head was bent and her arms were wrapped around herself. When she finally managed to lift her face, Carlos gasped. His jaw descended as his eyes nearly bulged from his head. She walked briskly past him, hiding her face again. He remained in the doorway, completely stunned.

“What happened? Oh god, Charlie!” Carlos screamed as his senses returned. He found himself rushing toward her to get a better look at her cheek. She ducked away, turning her back on him.

“I’m fine,” she asserted, her jaw set. Carlos watched her carefully, completely at a loss. He walked around to face her, his lips pursed. His fingertips grazed her cheekbone, and she flinched against his touch. A sudden hatred toward Holdyn boiled in the pit of Carlos’s stomach.

“Did he do this to you?” he asked softly, almost afraid she were going to shatter.

The puckering, angry gash against her cheek made her appear pallid, and she looked so much smaller than usual. She turned her face away, her arms crossing over her chest. In one subtle movement, she lifted her chin in defiance. Carlos inhaled sharply as her silence told him everything she wouldn’t.

“Why are you with him?” She flew around, her eyes narrowed. Carlos stumbled back a few feet as his eyes processed the sudden change in her body language.

“Look, he’s not a bad person—“

Something inside Carlos began to snap. His expression turned incredulous as the words sputtered from her lips. How had it gotten to this point? Why was she standing up for him? Carlos shook his head, cutting her off completely.

“Charlie, he hits you. That’s definitely not a thing good people do!” His voice had rose without his realization, and Charlotte downcast her eyes. When she looked up again, she was gnawing on her swollen lip, her eyes pleading.

“He just needs someone to help him,” she explained calmly. Carlos didn’t know whether to laugh or shake her. It was so completely Charlotte to go out of her way to help people, even if they didn’t deserve it. She was too nice and naïve sometimes.

“Charlie, that someone shouldn’t be you. Look what he’s doing to you!”

Charlotte stomped her foot, shaking her head furiously. Her eyelids squeezed tightly together as she pressed her fingers to her temples gingerly. Carlos froze, speechless at her sudden outburst. As her honey irises reappeared, they contained a rage he had never seen in them before. It was directed at Carlos. She opened her mouth; her words low and deliberate.

“Don’t you dare stand there and judge me, Carlos. You left; you don’t get to swoop back in and pick apart my life!”

“Char—“ he started, guilt flushing over him. She shook her head again, glaring right through him.

“Holdyn isn’t perfect. But he never left me. He loves me Carlos, and I’m not going to let my heart get broken again.”

“So you’re just going to let the rest of you get broken?” Carlos retorted without thinking. His fear for her life was quickly transforming into anger. Charlotte laughed bitterly; her fists balled up on her hip.

“Clever. You always did have some good comebacks. But this isn’t high school. This isn’t some joke.”

“You’re right, this isn’t high school, and I’m dead serious. This is your life at risk, Charlie. I love you; honestly, I never stopped. However, this isn’t me ‘swooping’, Char. I know I hurt you when I left. I know you don’t have to sit here and listen to me.

“But I’m worried about you. What he’s doing to you isn’t right! If you stay with him, you aren’t safe. All I want is for you to be happy and safe. From what I’m seeing, you’re neither with him.”

Her hardened eyes watered, and her snarl wavered into a frown. Carlos reached out for her, but she backed away. She took a deep, shaky breath before finding her composure. He watched her jaw set, and he knew nothing else he could say would change her mind anymore. She was set on not listening. Carlos knew well enough once Charlie made up her mind, there was no derailing her.

“I don’t even know why I came here. Scratch that, actually, I do,” she fumed, taking a pointed look at him. “I finally had my best friend around again; someone to talk to. I needed my best friend to be here for me. Part of me wanted to believe you were the same understanding guy that I knew five years ago.”

“Charlotte,” Carlos breathed out, hurt seeping into his voice. A pleading note tugged along with it. He knew this was his last chance to persuade her. Deep down, he knew it wouldn’t work. But if he didn’t try, he would never forgive himself.

“No, Carlos.” She paused, and her face contorted into a bitter smile. “I guess this is goodbye again. Have fun on the rest of your tour, and with your TV show. Just do me a favor, and don’t come back again.”

She stormed past him, her shoulder brushing lightly against his. He turned after her, opening and closing his mouth. He couldn’t find words to call out as the door slammed behind her, shaking the walls and causing the lights to flicker. He watched alone and helpless at the door, praying it would swing back open and she would reappear.

But she didn’t.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I'm trying to update everything tonight, because once school starts tomorrow, I dont know how often I'll be able to.

So, with Carlos leaving in the morning, what's going to happen?
Will she come to her senses?

Okay, I've gotta get back to writing(:

xxxo, Sara