Status: depends...

Shape of My Heart

Chapter Eight

“That was awesome, Katie!” Nick shouted as we got in his car.

“Yeah, just back out before she comes after me.” I said and quickly jumped in the passenger seat.

“Oh, she won’t.” He got in the driver’s seat of his jeep and I locked the car door just in case. “But seriously! The way you turned around and just punched her square on the nose! Man, that was epic! It was all slow motion and crap. Well, from what I saw anyway.” Marcy started to make her way out the front door with blood dripping down her face.

“Nick! Go!” I said, pointing to Marcy. Nick smirked and locked all the car doors.

“Not before she sees this.” Next thing I knew, Nick grabbed my face and placed his lips on mine. I could hear Marcy scream from outside. As soon as Nick and I parted he rolled down his window. “Consider this our break-up!” He rolled his window back up and backed out of the driveway. About thirty minutes down the road and I still couldn’t speak. Did he really just break up with Marcy by… kissing me? Or did he leave her for me? Or… I didn’t know. I felt Nick’s hand touch my knee. “Are you okay?” I looked up at his concerned face and nodded.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I smiled and continued thinking.

“Good.” He smiled, but didn’t seem to believe me. “So, you know, tomorrow is your twenty-seventh birthday.”

“Oh, crap! It’s the third already!?” I was freaking out. I didn’t want to turn twenty-seven! I was too young! Where did the last few weeks of my life go!? Nick laughed and turned the radio off.

“Yes, Kit-Kat. It’s the fourth tomorrow.” I cringed at my old nick name. “So, since we’re already halfway there, I was thinking I could take you out for your birthday dinner a day early. I know that’s not usually the ‘traditional thing to do’ but I thought, hey! Why not?” He seemed really excited to take me out to dinner for the first time in three years, so how could I say no?

“Of course! But… we just ate dinner, Nick.” I had totally forgotten about the awkward dinner until now.

“Well, it’s okay, because we were just going for desert anyway.” Nick smiled and grabbed my hand. “Happy early birthday, Katie.” He whispered and kissed my hand. I felt the blood rush to my cheeks instantly. I leaned back into my seat and watched all the trees pass by. Before I knew it, we had arrived at Nick’s parent’s house.

“Nick… why are we at your parent’s house?” I asked and unbuckled.

“Because… this is where we’ve had your birthday desert since you were ten!” Nick said with a kind of “duh!” tone. “Here, let me help you.” He jumped out of his jeep and opened the car door for me and helped me out of his car.

“Thank you, kind sir.” I smiled and looked at our intertwined hands. I coughed nervously and took my hand out of his.

“Oh my gosh! Is that Katie!?” I heard Jane Carter yell from behind me. “It is!” I turned around and was greeted by the familiar arms of Nick’s mom.

“I’ve missed you so much, Mrs. Carter!” I smiled as she held me out at arm’s length.

“We’ve all missed you, Katie. Where’s Aaron, Nicky?” Mrs. Carter asked looking at her son. I looked around awkwardly.

“That’s kind of a sensitive subject right now, ma.” Nick said nervously scratching the back of his neck. Mrs. Carter made an ‘o’ shape with her mouth.

“So, Nick texted me and said that you guys were going to be here for an early birthday desert.” I nodded. “Don’t worry! Your cheesecake is in the fridge chilling and it’ll be done in ten minutes.” Mrs. Carter smiled at me. “Oh! I’ve missed you so much! Oh! The girls will be so happy to see you! How long are you staying?”

“Just for the night, ma. Then we gotta get back. I’m sure Marcy’s made a mess trying to destroy Katie’s stuff.” Nick sighed. “She obviously can’t take break-ups well.” Nick shook his head.

“Don’t worry, I locked my door.” I smiled. “And, it may be the way you broke up with her, Nick. That wasn’t very nice…”

“Right… well,” Mrs. Carter coughed. “Everyone inside. Robert will be so happy to see you, Katie.” I smiled and followed Mrs. Carter inside.

After about an hour or so of catching up and telling everyone what’s been going on the past three years, we finally got to the cheesecake, and after the cheesecake, Nick and I were in his old room.

“Sorry you two have to share a room. All the other rooms have been arranged into offices and such.” Mr. Carter apologized. “But it’ll be just like old times, right? All of the sleepovers.” I nodded as Nick unrolled the sleeping bag onto the floor. “Goodnight, you two.” Mr. Carter said and shut the door behind him.

“So, I’m sorry I kinda did that to you back at the house.” Nick apologized. “I kinda wanted to kiss you anyway.” He half-smiled.

“It’s okay. I’ve been kinda wanting to kiss you ever since our fist kiss after your first concert too. So you weren’t alone on that note.” I looked down at the floor and walked over to the bed and got under the covers.

“Will you be my girlfriend?” Nick blurted out.

“Wha-what?” I asked, shocked.

“Sorry… I was planning on asking you a bit more romantically… but not everything goes as planned… right?” He sighed. “Well, I’m going to bed now.” Nick crawled into the sleeping bag and covered his head, trying to hide his face. I smiled and got off the bed and sat next to the lump of sleeping bag known as Nick Carter. He was mumbling to himself saying something along the lines of “that was so stupid.” and “you should have just waited.”

“Yes.” I whispered where I thought his ear was. Nick bolted into sitting position.

“God! You scared me! Wait… you said yes?” He asked, his eyes lighting up. I nodded and bit my lip. “Are you sure? You don’t have to say yes just to make me happy. I’m perfectly capable of taking no for an answer.” I rolled my eyes and smiled.

“Yes. I’m sure Nick.” I leaned closer to his face. “You have no idea how long I’ve been waiting for you to ask me that question.” Our foreheads were now touching. “What took you so damn long, Nickolas?” Before he had the chance to answer, I kissed his top lip and he kissed me back
♠ ♠ ♠
YAY! Next chapter is up! :D
hope you like!
xx
Lindsay!