Status: Active - Writing

Forgotten Faces

Given A Blindfold to Hide A Secret.

“Janie, put on your blindfold!” Johnny laughed. When we were half way to our destination he handed me a black sleep mask. I protested at first but he promised that I’m in for a big surprise. At the moment I was trying to peak at where we were at. Obviously it was a fail so I obeyed John’s orders.

“Johnny! Come on, where are you taking me?” I whined, which only caused him to chuckle at me.

“Jan, shoosh, we’re here.” He said as I felt him park but he quickly said, “Don’t take off your blindfold.” And he got out of the car. He then came over to my side and helped me out. He grabbed a hold of my waist and put his chin on my shoulder and kissed it softly. “Please tell me we’re not in the middle of no where and you’re not going to leave me here by myself?” I teased. Johnny laughed, “Where do you get these weird beliefs?”

“I just have a very different mind.” I smirked and felt him smile on my neck and whispered, “You can take off your blindfold.” I smiled eagerly and lifted the mask off my face. To my surprise he brought me to a place that I thought never existed in California.

“When did they put a Portillo’s in California?!” I asked happily.

“Last month. I know you didn’t really like Chicago but I remember you telling me that the one thing you would die for was the food. So I did some research and read that they were putting one in Laguna. So, I thought why not bring you here?” he explained. I turned around and embraced my boyfriend in an enormous hug. He fell back a bit but regained his posture and hugged me back. “Johnny, you are the most amazing boyfriend I have ever had! I love you so freaking much!”

“I love you too Janie.” He said in between my kisses. When I pulled away I grabbed a hold of his hand and dragged him inside. “Have you even had Portillo’s before?” I asked when we were in line. He shook his head no and said, “Can you order for me?” Once I said yes, we were called up to order. For myself, I ordered the Chicago style hot dog; for John, I ordered an Italian beef sandwich dipped. We then decided to share a large fry with cheese, a large coca-cola, and their famous chocolate cake (I got one more to bring home to Jake).

We sat down and ate our food while conversing about our life. He said that the guys are working with Warner Brother on their new album (I haven’t told him that I work there yet), Jimmy and Matt are writing songs like crazy, and that everyone is glad that he and I are together. When I was talking about my life, I told him about how much of a party girl I was, that music and art inspired me, and that I grew up with only Blake because my parents, Jake and kids around the school didn’t treat me the way I wanted to. When we finished our delicious food, which Johnny said was the best food he’s ever had, we got back into his car to drive me home.

The car was silent for half an hour until Johnny asked, “Janie, how would you feel about moving in with me?”

I looked at him with shock knowing he’d see me out of his side vision but he quickly rambled, “n-not right now, I meant in the future. I know you’d say no now since your brother just moved in and we just started dating.”-

“Johnny!” I cut him off and waited till it was silent. I laughed, “You talk too much. Yes, I’d hope to move in with you… someday, just not anytime soon. I want us to take things a step at a time. Honestly, when I’m with you I can see my future, but again. Let’s not take things too quickly. Agreed?”

He smiled, “Agreed.”

*****


Johnny walked me up to my door somewhere past midnight. Instead of driving me home, we took a trip to the beach, went to see a movie, and left early because we hadn’t checked the time since we left Portillo’s. “I had a really great night Johnny. Thank you for the wonderful date.”

“Anything for you, babe.” He smiled and pecked my lips but instead of pulling away we continued to kiss. We didn’t even realize my brother had opened the door till he cleared his throat.

“Didn’t I say you had to be home before midnight?” he questioned me.

“Jake, I suggest you keep your demands to yourself if you want to stay living here. Again, he’s my boyfriend, and I’m twenty-four not fourteen.”

“You’re still my sister.”

“Correction! I’m your OLDER sister. So, be a good little brother and go to bed. You have work tomorrow.”

“So do you!” he stated.

“Shit I forgot!” I mentally slapped myself.

“You have a job?” John asked, I mentally slapped myself again.

“Yes? How else would I pay for my stuff? It’s not like I have my legs open 24/7.” I joked.

“Well, you never exactly told me you had a job. Where do you work?”

“I’ll let you know tomorrow. Have to sleep. Love you Johnny.” I pecked his lips and heard him groan and say goodnight and I love you too. Then my door was shut and locked so Jake and I could sleep safely.

*****


“Seriously, Jan? You haven’t told the guy you work at the place where he’s making his new album?” Caleb asked.

“I know it sounds bad, but I didn’t want him to think that I could just let the guys have the spot in the recording studio. They need to get it on their own. If I helped then what good is that to them? This is their dreams, they don’t get in that easily.” I stated in my business tone. Caleb scoffed at first but then sighed, “No, you’re right. They need to work for it, just like everyone else. I worked hard to get here and you worked hard to get there. The only reason I allowed your brother to work here with no experience is because one I owe you, and two the kid has some skills.”

I smiled, “Now you see my point. Well, I’m off to work.”

“Wait, so when are you telling him?”

“Today! When I see the guys at the studio.”

“Are you working with them?”

“No, I’m working with Michael Buble on his album.”

“Don’t know him but okay!” he said as I walked out to my car and drove off to work.

I walked into the studio and was surprised to see very few people here. I shrugged it off and walked to the recording room where I was assigned to work. I set up the sound board and seconds later Michael walked in, as did my intern, Jonah. “Hey guys, are you ready to get this track started?” I asked. They both smiled and said yes. Mike went into the sound room and warmed up his vocals before we started recording the song.

*****


“Alright Michael, can we try the last part? Give a little more voice and sexiness.”

He laughed, “Yes ma’am… What a lovely way to burn, yeah!” he sang the ending to the song fever. When we got done with that part; the song was amazing. “Perfect! I’m going to work on this tomorrow but other than that you’re free to go, and I’ll see you next week Michael.” I said into the microphone.

He smiled and nodded then came out of the booth and sat down on the sofa. Jonah was sitting down next to me, creating a remix for my brother. I told Jonah that if he could do that he could help me with editing the boat load of shit I have to do. “So, Janelle…” Michael spoke.

“Yes?” I asked.

“Would you like to go to dinner with me tonight?”

“As a date? Or to discuss your album?”

“Can’t it be both?”

I smiled, “I’m flattered but the date would be a no and the album is a yes. And to answer your next question; no because one I don’t date people I work with and two I have a boyfriend. I’m sorry.”

“It’s alright.” He shrugged, “I had to give it a shot.”

“Props for trying.” I smiled and stood up, Michael following the same thing. “Thank you for coming in today Mr. Buble. I will see you next week.” I shook his hand, “As for you Ms. Tyler.” And he kissed my knuckled and left.

“Who’s your new boyfriend?” Jonah asked.

“His name is Johnny and he’s in a band.”

“Bad choice, is he even famous yet?”

I laughed, “Somewhat? Do you know that band Avenged Sevenfold?”

“Yes I do, I’ve seen them twice in concert, last year and then their latest concert in Laguna.”

“Well, I’m dating their bassist Johnny Christ or to me Jonathan Seward and I went to that concert too. That’s when he asked me out.”

“That’s who you’re dating?!” I nodded. “Wow, that’s so cool! When do I get to meet them?” he went into fan mode.

“Jonah.” I warned.

“Right, stay professional and on topic.” He cleared his throat, “When do I get to meet the lucky guy that won you over?” he asked.

I laughed at his ridiculousness and replied, “Soon, I hope. He’s recording with the guys today.”

“You mean they were signed to Warner Brother?” I nodded, “I have a feeling none of them know you work here…” he stated. I rolled my eyes, “That was the point. I’m about to head over to their studio to surprise them.”

“Can I come with?”

“Yes, you can. Now let’s go.” I said as I grabbed my laptop and placed it in my purse, along with my phone, wallet, and keys. I walked out of my recording studio with Jonah locking it up behind us. I walked up to the front desk and asked Katie, the receptionist, where Avenged Sevenfold was recording. She pointed in the opposite direction I came from and said two doors down on the right. Jonah and I thanked her and we walked down to our next destination. I could hear from the outside of the door Brian practicing a song and then him yelling out fuck. This made both Jonah and I laugh and then the door swung open to reveal Mr. Hulk.

Instead of saying hello he turned around and yelled to the guys, “I thought we weren’t allowed to invite our girlfriends?”

“We weren’t. That’s why none of the are here.” I heard Jimmy say.

“Then why is Janelle here? Short shit, get over here!” Matt commanded and in an instant he was standing in front of me as well as the others. “Janie, what are you doing here? Wait how’d you know I was in this room? I got lost trying to find it and the lady at the desk even gave me directions.” He laughed.

“I wanted to come see how you guys were doing. Plus, I have to go pick Jake up at the shop in about an hour. And I knew what room you were in because I know where the room is… Kind of? I’ve never really been to this side of the building.”

“Oh that makes sense… Actually no it doesn’t? You’ve been here before?” he asked.

“John, I work here. That’s why last night I’d tell you tomorrow where I worked. Well its tomorrow and here I am so surprise!!” I smiled.

“You work here?” the four taller men said behind Johnny. I laughed, “It’s not everyday I wear business clothes. Only when I come in for work, but yes I work here. Today I was working with Michael Buble, and Sunday I’ll be working with My Chemical Romance.” Then there was a silence and I noticed the guys staring at the young brunette boy standing next to me. I smiled and introduced the young boy to the older children, “Guys this is Jonah, and he’s my intern. He’s also a fan of yours but he promised to stay professional.”

“Hey Jonah?” Matt asked.

“Yeah?”

“Did you clock out?”

“Yes?”

“Well then you can go all fanatic on us.” He smirked; I rolled my eyes and laughed as I said to Jonah, “He’s right. Go ape shit, fan boy.” His eyes lit like a little kid on Christmas and started asking the guys tons of stuff. We were sitting on the couches just listening to questions and answers. Things started to cool off when Jonah asked, “Johnny, how did you and Janelle meet?”

“Oh this should be interesting.” I heard Brian mutter under his breath.

“We met at a bar.”

“Knew it! Janelle, I’m so happy you saw past his stupid drunk self.” Brian teased.

“Actually, he wasn’t drunk at all. There were these douches at the other end of the bar giving me a hard time and I didn’t notice him till he said to ignore them.”

“Short shit being a nice guy? At a bar?” Zacky laughed.

“I have my moments.” John defended himself.

“I still don’t see what you see in him Janie. He’s so… Short.” Matt laughed.

“I’m an inch shorter than him Matt. Maybe you’re just too tall!” I retorted.

“Touché.” He wiggled his eyebrows which caused me to giggle a little.

“Well, I have to go pick up Jake. I’ll see you guys soon.”

I gave them all hugs and gave Johnny a kiss. “Bye guys.”

“Bye Janie!” they all yelled in unison, including Jonah who decided to stay and watch the guys’ record.

*****


“Jake, time to go!” I yelled when I walked in the shop. Something was off though I just couldn’t put my fingers on it. I noticed that Delilah wasn’t in her usual spot and that got me worrying. I walked faster and heard her giggling but I was pulled to an abrupt stop by Jake. The tension in my veins went away but then I grew disgusted when I heard a moan.

“Oh god, where’s Caleb?” I asked.

“He’s on his way back from lunch. And I know. I locked myself in his office to get away from the sounds.”

“Funny story, when I walked in here and heard her, I thought it was you and her since you didn’t answer.”

“In her dreams she wishes it was me, but I don’t go for girls older than my sister.”

“Jake she’s younger than me.”

“In that cause I don’t go for ugly girls.” He said with a smirk which got me laughing. “Okay, well I’ll be right back.” I said to my brother and walked over to the room Delilah was in. I didn’t bother on knocking so all I did was slam the door open to reveal a butt naked man and a topless whore. Keeping myself from not gagging, I kept a straight face and demandingly said, “Get your clothes on now and get out.” The man quickly did as I said and bolted out of the shop, when the trash in front of me took her time, and when she was finished she gave me an evil glare.

“What the fuck is your problem? Don’t you know anything about knocking?” she snapped.

I rolled my eyes and sarcastically replied, “No, I don’t know because my life dream is to watch you in a bad porno.”

“Bitch.” She mumbled and hit my shoulder as she walked past me. Before she left the room I grabbed her wrist and said, “Next time it happens, I’ll leave your ass in there and wait till Caleb gets back. I don’t think he wants to know what you do when he’s gone. You’re steps closer to being caught.”

“Caleb won’t find out.” She laughed in disbelief.

“We’ll see.” I said when she left the room.

“I take it this has happened before?” My little brother asked. I nodded and sighed. “How was work?” he asked, changing the subject. I smiled, “Work was good. Michael was really good and he asked me out, which I politely declined because he’s my client and I have Johnny. And I visited the guys and they were mad at John when I was there because it was no girls’ day, I guess? But then I told them that I worked there. Then they understood.”

“How’d Johnny take it?”

“He was fine with it. I t didn’t seem to bother him at all.”

“That’s cool.” Jake said and then Caleb showed up.

“Hey Jake, you can go now.”

“Thanks man.”

“Hi to you too?” I said to Caleb, who seemed to be thinking fast. T his wasn’t like him to walk in and be… un- polite.

“Janie, I need to talk to you.” He said without looking at me or my brother. I stood standing where I was as my brother nodded and left with my car keys.

“What’s up Caleb?” I questioned.

“Okay, be honest and don’t lie. Did you or did you not have a relationship with a guy named Dean Smith.” He said turning to me this time and concern was written all over his face.

“Uh, yeah. Senior year, he cheated and dumped me at the end of the year. I ran into him with John when we were at the beach, but that’s basically it.”

“So you haven’t talked to or seen him since?”

“No I haven’t. Why?”

“Uhh, he’s kind of, sort of my cousin. Who talks a lot about you, and I needed to ask if it was true.”

“There’s more isn’t there?”

“He’s going to be working here for a while; till him and this guy Carter can get what they want and leave back to Chicago and then to New York.”

“That’s what they’re doing here?”

“I take it you know this Carter guy?”

“He grew up with me and Blake. And he’s here with Dean? And Dean is you’re cousin, whom you’ve never mentioned before, but what is it they exactly want?”

“Sorry, I didn’t realize it was you till him and carter said they both ran into you. Carter gave Dean your number for ‘just in case’ reasons and I’m not sure what they’re here for. I’m just the person letting them have a place to live for free.”

“They’re at your house!”

“Yes?”

“Wonderful, well I better go. I think I need to take a break from today. Bye Caleb, I’ll see you tomorrow morning.” We kissed each others cheeks as we said goodbye.

“Bye Janie!” he called back and I went to my car where Jake was at, sitting in the drivers seat. “Do you want to drive?” I asked. He nodded and I sat in the passengers’ seat as he drove us home. It started raining when we arrived home so I naturally changed out of my work clothes and into my comfy lazy clothes, pulling my hair up into a sloppy bun and going into the living room sitting on the couch next to my brother.

“Movie night?” He asked. I looked over at him and nodded and he went to look for movies. While I sat there listening and staring out at the California rain, I thought back to my hometown. How, whenever it rained the damp smell stayed a while after it had stopped, the trees would be used as protection from staying as dry as possible, and how calming it was when you fell asleep. It’s still calming here, just not the same as Chicago. That’s another thing I missed. The rain use to make me smile and now it just makes me feel empty.

Jake came back with a bunch of movies and placed the first one in without me knowing. When the selection screen came up I smiled widely at my brother. “Moulin Rouge?”

He smiled back, “Yes, I know one of your favorites. I also grabbed the Star Wars series, Forest Gump, and Saving Private Ryan. That way there’s a little bit of both of our favorites.”

“How did you know those were my favorites when you were barely around to know?”

“You’re my sister, I just had a hunch.” He shrugged. I smiled sweetly at my brother and gave him a hug and him giving me one in return. It’s times like these that I’m glad I have family. I know I hated them in the past but it still hurts not seeing them for so long. You miss them after a while. And I’m glad I’m finally getting close to my brother. I’d be crushed if something ruined it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and Subscribe!

Thank you for reading this, but I'm really upset that neither Bryanna or myself have gotten ANY comments. It kind of makes me feel like a failure. I love this story a lot and i'd appreciate it if i got some feedback.

So, i really worked hard on this chapter. And i really like it (: Portillo's is amazing <3 I love Chicago food and the rain, it's raining now (: and it makes me happy.

Here are the outfits:
Janelle Date
Janelle Work
Janelle Movie

New People:
Jonah
Michael Buble
Katie