Status: Completed

The Beach

09- Just For the Sake of Saving Us

“Jake is coming here?” Alex asked, dumbfounded. Sawyer had just informed him that Jake had decided to surprise her with a trip to Virginia Beach.

“Yea. And I have no valid reasoning for you staying here that isn’t going to sound like we’re fucking. Oh god, we have to move all of your stuff into one of the guest rooms so that he doesn’t know we’ve been sharing a room. Ugh. I really dislike him right now.” Sawyer complained.

Sawyer was sat on Alex’s lap, him in one of the kitchen chairs, his arms wrapped around Sawyer’s waist, holding her protectively close to him.

“This is supposed to be our summer. I can’t believe that he is going to interrupt my summer vacation. My last summer vacation. How could he possibly think that this was ok? Why in the hell wouldn’t he ask me? I’ve never invited him here, so why would he think he could just come waltzing on over?” Sawyer ranted, and Alex lifted a hand to rub her back, trying to calm Sawyer down from her increasing anger.

“Sawyer. Calm down. We will work this out.” Alex tried to calm her down, but it wasn’t working.

“Alex. How am I going to explain that you are staying here? You aren’t related to me. So obviously not related to me. Oh god.” Sawyer said, and Alex kissed her cheek, distracting her for a second.

“Sawyer. We’re going to figure this out. We could always say it’s how we reconnect. Like, we’ve been family friends forever and we only have the summers to spend together.” Alex suggested, but Sawyer gave him a weary look.

“I don’t know. I mean, just me and you is still a bit sketchy.” Sawyer stated, running a hand through her hair.

“Well. I do have an idea.” Alex said, and Sawyer looked at him with curiousness and wonder.

“Well. I’m off tour right? So is the rest of my band, and they are in Baltimore. They could be here in half a day.” Alex suggested, but Sawyer just stared in response.

“But they’re all guys.” Sawyer said, stating the obvious.

“Well, there are two girls we could bring. Two of their girlfriends.” Alex suggested, and Sawyer crunched her nose.

“I don’t know any of them. How are we going to convince Jake that I know everyone? The only one I really know is you.” Sawyer asked, worried, but vaguely convinced that this could work. Alex’s plan was actually sounding plausible.

“We could always do a cram session. Like, how you told me you always crammed in high school because you remembered information better? We could do that, and just give you the information.” Alex suggested, and Sawyer looked at him, still a little unsure, but she didn’t have many options.

“Are you sure they’ll be down to just spur of the moment come here to help out someone they’ve never met?” Sawyer asked, and Alex grinned widely.

“Sawyer, it’s the beach. Everyone loves the beach.” Alex stated as it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“What are you waiting for then. Tell them to get packed and start driving. We have two days before Jake appears and ruins our summer. I gotta know at least their names by then.” Sawyer said, and Alex pulled her in for a rough kiss. She was surprised, but took advantage of it, putting her hands in his hair and grasping at it like a lifeline.

Alex pulled away first, causing a whimper to escape through Sawwyer’s lips. She pouted at him, and he just smiled and kissed her forehead.

“I wish I could say we should continue this in the bedroom, but we have a lot of work to do. It’s time to get on the phone. I got to round up the gang.” He said, and Sawyer gave him a small smile.

“You’re going to owe them big for this aren’t you?” Sawyer asked, linking her hands behind Alex and relaxing in his lap.

“Probably.” He said, and Sawyer arched an eyebrow. “Ok. So definitely. But, I’m positive they will come if I tell them I need them.” Alex said, and Sawyer nodded, giving him a quick kiss before getting off of his lap. Alex stood up, kissing Sawyer’s forehead once more before heading out of the room to go get his phone.

Sawyer watched as he walked out of the room, smiling softly at his retreating figure. She loved that man, and she couldn’t believe everything that he was going to do for her. Especially when it was her life that was ruining their time together.

Sawyer could almost kill Jake. She couldn’t believe him. She wasn’t sure how he could think that his surprise visit would be ok. He knew that she liked her summers in Virginia Beach, and she had told him this would be her last one alone, and if she did continue going to Virginia Beach, it would be with him. But she had wanted this last one to herself.

How could he just ignore her requests like that?

She didn’t know, so she just grabbed one of Alex’s blueberry muffins and walked upstairs, stopping outside of the bedroom when she heard Alex talking on the phone. She shouldn’t have, but she stopped outside the door and listened a little bit.

“Yes Jack. I really need all of you to come up here as soon as possible. Room and board right on the beach.” There was a pause and Alex sighed. “Yes Jack. Her fiancé is springing a surprise visit and the only reason we can come up with is that it’s a friend reunion that we do every summer. However, it would help if there were more friends to substantiate that claim.” Alex said, and another pause followed. “I’ll make you cupcakes. The funfetti kind.” Alex said, and chuckled. “Alright, well get everyone in the car and get them here tonight if possible. See ya soon.” Alex said, and Sawyer smiled lightly to herself before walking into the room and making her presence known.

“Hey. Any luck?” Sawyer asked, catching Alex’s attention.

“Yea. They’ll be here.” Alex said, and Sawyer smiled at him, because the words she wanted to say just couldn’t come out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit- Paper Moon by All Time Low

Stupid Jake right? I know.
Also, you didn't think I was going to do an entire story without the rest of All Time Low did you? Well they shall be making their appearance.