The Golden Quartet: Year 2

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

“I’ll be back,” Amilia said. “I should be no longer than an hour.” She put on her coat and looked at Athena who was looking down at her mother from the top of the stairs, “You’re in charge.”

Yes!” Athena leant over the railing to make sure her sister heard her down the hall, “You hear that?! I’m in charge!

“HA! Let’s see how that goes.” Astrid yelled back from her room.

Athena frowned, “Mum-!“

The front door shut.

Their mother had left to go shopping at a local muggle store for some groceries.

Immediately Astrid ran out of her room and shot down the hall to get to the closet in the living
room.

“What are you doing?” Athena asked as she came down the stairs and walked into the living room.

Astrid came out of the closet with their mother’s Cleansweep Eleven and a look of determination on her face. “Harry hasn’t responded to any of my, Ron, or Hermione’s letters. I’m going to get him.”

What?” Athena looked dumbstruck but then shook it off when her sister passed her towards the front door. “Wait! You can’t just go flying around! You’ll be seen – and besides you said that Harry was fine whenever mum would ask about him! What do you mean he hasn’t responded – I’m a little confused, Astrid!” Athena raced and threw herself in front of the door, blocking her younger sister.

Astrid sighed then inhaled a deep breath, “Harry hasn’t been responding to any of my letters, nor Ron’s and Hermione’s. I lied when I told mum he’s been fine this summer and that he couldn’t go with us to the burrow last week because their house would be too full and that he’d be going next week,” Astrid inhaled another breath, “because if I did tell her the truth she would go over to those muggle’s house and really burn them alive! And we’ve already got one parent in Azkaban! So, I’ve decided I’ll just go myself – tonight! It’s dark, I’ll fly high so I won’t be seen, so move.

“You can’t-!

They froze when Astrid swung the door open and a familiar man stood there with his fist in the hair, signaling he was about to knock. He had light brown hair, a pale face that had several scars, and shabby patched clothes.

Astrid dropped her broom on their wooden floor, filling the silent air with clatter.

“You’re…” Athena spoke breathlessly.

The man gave them a soft, friendly smile, but Astrid was unimpressed and her once wide dark gray eyes narrowed as she glared then growled, “Remus Lupin.”

Remus’s smile faltered, “I – ehem, yes. And you must be Astrid and Athena.”

Obviously.” Astrid said rather coldly.

Remus began to look uncomfortable at their doorway, sensing Astrid’s radiating cold demeanor.

Athena grabbed Astrid’s arm and pulled her back and opened the door widely, “Uh, come in…”

“Thank you,” Remus stepped into their home and looked around, “Nothing has changed since I was last here-“

“Sure it has,” Astrid spoke, “it’s missing a certain something – ah, what was it? Oh yes, our father.”

Remus sighed and looked at Athena, “Do you hate me as much as she obviously does?” Astrid turned to Athena with hard eyes, waiting for her to say ‘yes’.

Athena looked between the two, “I – uh… tea, anyone?”

Remus smiled, “Yes, that would be nice.” Remus followed Athena who walked into the kitchen.
Athena pulled out her wand from her pocket and waved it making the kettle hover over to the sink to fill itself up with water as she went through the cupboard to get some mugs and tea bags.

“Your mother lets you do magic at home?” Remus asked as he sat down at the table while Astrid leant against the wall, watching him closely.

“Yeah, she’s always hated the Underage Wizarding Law.” Athena said as she put the tea and cups on the table as the kettle placed itself onto the burner.

“And where is your mother?”

“She just left to go shopping, She’ll be back in an hour.” Athena turned to her sister, “Astrid, can you get the cream and sugar?” Athena asked as she sat down across from Remus.

“I don’t want tea.” Astrid said.

Okay, well, our guest does.” Athena said firmly.

Oh, he’s our guest? See, here I was thinking guests were people who are wanted in somebody’s home.” Astrid smiled cruelly.

Remus sighed heavily, “Alright, go on, say it. Say what you’re thinking – go on, don’t hold back-“

“I THINK YOU’RE A PRAT!” Astrid bellowed suddenly, pushing herself off the wall and clenching her fists and her sides and they were shaking slightly.

“Astrid-!” Athena looked scandalized.

“You think my father is a murderer! YOU’RE WRONG! He never betrayed Lily and James! He’d rather die than betray his friends! But you betrayed him when you chose to believe the lies everyone was saying! You betrayed my mother when you turned your back on her when she refused to believe those lies! He didn’t kill Peter or those muggles! AND HE DIDN’T BETRAY LILY AND JAMES POTTER!” Astrid screamed and her face was now pink as she looked at Remus with livid eyes. “WHY ARE YOU EVEN HERE?!” Astrid asked suddenly.

Remus seemed a bit caught off guard by her last question but managed on saying, “I come here every month.”

This caught both the Black sisters off guard and they looked at him with both a confused and shocked expression, “You do?” Athena asked.

“Yes, well, technically I never come inside…” the whistle on the kettle went off. Astrid whipped out her wand from her waist band and sent the kettle flying across the room and Remus took this as a sign to continue explaining. “I come here, in hopes of re-strengthening mine and Amilia’s friendship and spending time with you two but your mother… when she opens the door –depending on her mood, I think – she immediately slams it shut usually. Only on few occasions would she let me speak to her…” Remus eyes were clouded as he looked down at his folded hands on the table.

“Wait, wait, wait, you’re the muggle who keeps on trying to sell our mum anti-aging cream?” Athena asked, shocked at this news.

“Um, yes, I guess, if that’s what she told you.” Remus said looking up at her.

“Okay, so what?! You come once a month – you still believe our father deserves what he’s getting!” Astrid yelled furiously.

“I wish everyday it wasn’t true!” Remus finally shouted back as he shot up from his seat knocking the chair down.

“Well, it isn’t true!” Astrid yelled back.

“Astrid, please understand-“

“NO! You understand: my father never has, and never will betray his friends and loved ones! And you wanna’ know how I know that?! It’s not because it’s what my mother’s told me my whole life – it’s because I would never betray my friends and loved ones and I am exactly like my father! So to say he would betray his friends is like saying I’d betray my friends!”

Remus was looking at her, remaining silent.

The front door opened and shut, “They were having some sort of sale. I didn’t want to deal with it so I’m going back earlier tomorrow- why’s the broom out here?” Amilia walked into the kitchen holding the broom. Her eyes widened slightly when they landed on Remus and just like Astrid, she dropped the broom.

“He was trying to sell us anti-aging cream.” Astrid said while glaring at her mother whose eyes widened a little more upon the reference. Astrid ran past her mother and down the hall to her room, slamming the door loudly.

“I… um… I think Aldara wants to go for a fly.” Athena said and then broke out into a run and quickly went up the stairs to her room.

“They’ve grown so much.” Remus said breaking the short silence.

Amilia glared, “What are you doing in here?”

“The oldest, Athena let me in. She’s kind…. Astrid on the other hand,” he smiled lightly, “she said she’s exactly like her father but she’s definitely got that wild fire from you.”

“What did you say to them?” Amilia asked sternly.

“Well, not much, Astrid was yelling the whole time, that was, when she wasn’t saying sly remarks.”

“You shouldn’t have come in. What did you expect anyways? That they’d welcome you with open arms like some long-lost uncle-“

“Well, isn’t that what I am? I should be like an uncle to them.” Remus said with hard eyes.

“Many things should be certain ways – but they aren’t. You should go now.” Amilia glared at him.

Remus dropped his head and shook it slightly, when he looked back up at Amilia his eyes were now angry, “Peter, James, and Lily are all dead and it’s because of your husband – you need to face that fact! Stop brainwashing those kids to believe-“

“GET OUT!” Amilia screamed, whipping her wand out from her waist band and pointing it at Remus’s chest.

“Fine,” Remus walked to the door, “but I’m done. You’ll never have to worry about another visit from me. I’m done trying to fix something that is clearly too broken.” He swung open the door and left, slamming it behind him.

Astrid’s head poked out of her room from down the hall and she watched as her mother dragged her feet into the kitchen. Astrid quietly walked down the hall and saw her mother sitting down at their table and was hunched over. “Mum,” Amilia sat up and looked up at her daughter who held so many features of Sirius. Her dark gray eyes, her nose, eyebrows, dark hair… besides having her mother’s full lips, everything else looked like her father, only in a feminine way.

“Yes?” Amilia ran her fingers through her chestnut hair tiredly.

“Why didn’t you tell us he’d been coming here every month for the past eleven years?” Astrid asked thoughtfully.

“Because it was unimportant.”

“Obviously it was important enough to lie about.” Athena said as she walked into the kitchen.

“Okay, let’s clear this up now – which one of you is the good cop and which one is the bad in this soon-to-be interrogation?” Amilia said with narrowed eyes.

“You miss Remus just as much as he misses you too, don’t you?” Astrid asked softly.

Amilia clenched her jaw, “What do you want from me, huh?! So what if I do? You think we could just go back to being good ol’ buddies? And I thought you hated him Astrid!”

Astrid shook her head, “No, I don’t hate him… I hate what he thinks about our dad… but I remember I really liked him from your Marauder stories.”

“Well, he isn’t that guy anymore!”

“I know! And I’m not asking you to be buddies with him again! I just want to know if you missed him!”

“Why would that even matter?!”

“Because he was one of your best friends!”

“Exactly – was! Not anymore, Astrid! Geeze, you hate him one second then the next you hate me!”

“I don’t hate either of you! I hate this situation!” Astrid screamed. “YOU’RE NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO WANTS REMUS TO BE A PART OF OUR LIFE AGAIN! I hate that he believes our father is guilty! But… I still… would’ve liked him to be a part of our life. Uncle Al believes our dad is guilty too, but we still see him. Why not Remus-“

“Because Al is unstable! He thinks everyone is guilty! I’m sure if they would’ve said I’d betrayed Lily and James and killed Peter that he would’ve been the one to hunt me down and throw me in Azkaban! But Remus was our best friend – he was supposed to believe us no matter what – and guess what? HE DOESN’T! I’m done with this conversation! Go to bed – both of you!”

Astrid quickly turned and ran to her room, slamming the door behind her. She ran and threw her body onto her bed, burying her face into her pillow and let out a muffled scream.

A tapping at her window made her mind momentarily forget about Remus and the argument with her mother, because as she shot out of her bed to open the window to let in Xander, her hawk, her mind was on Harry again. Xander had a letter and Astrid quickly took it and tore it open.

Dear Astrid,

It’s me Harry! I’ve just arrived at the Burrow this morning when your letter to Ron came telling him about your plan to get me out tonight – I hope this gets to you before you leave, this hawk is fast so I’m sure he’ll do the job-


Astrid looked at Xander who looked fatigued and like he was about to fall apart from making two delivery’s in one day without proper rest.

I’m sorry I didn’t reply to any of your messages, some house elf was keeping your guys’ letters from me! He also told me not to go back to Hogwarts! That I’d be in some kind of danger (like that’s new anyways). So Ron, Fred, and George all took their dad’s enchanted flying car and broke me out of the Dursley’s and took me to their house! They told me you and Athena had come over last week – isn’t this place great? I really love it here. Hermione’s just also sent us a letter asking us to meet in Diagon Alley this Wednesday so I hope to see you guys there!

Your friend,
Harry


Astrid let out a relived sigh to hear that Harry was in fact okay – aside from the fact that a house elf had shown up at his house telling him not to return to Hogwarts because he’d be in grave danger. But like Harry said, ‘like that’s new anyways’.

~~~

“Hey, Hermione!” Astrid waved her hand high in the air to get her best friend’s attention.

Hermione looked over at Astrid with a grin and ran over to her, “Hey Astrid! Hey Athena! Hello Mrs – er, Ms-?”

“Please, Hermione, call me Amilia. I’ve heard so much about you.” Amilia smiled down at the bushy haired girl.

Hermione’s cheeks went slightly pink, “Really? Good things I hope.” She shot Astrid a curious look.

Amilia laughed, “Yes, good things. Astrid told me that you are very smart and caring. She also told me about that adventure you had at the end of the year and how you got past Snape’s potions – very impressive. I know I wouldn’t have been able to do that – no I’m serious!8” she reassured Hermione who was humbly shaking her head which Astrid thought was very odd – Hermione, humble? Hardly.

“Oh, but, um, Amilia, please don’t mention our little adventure to my parents…” Hermione looked over her shoulder and pointed out her muggle parents. They were looking at some odd trinkets outside of Potage’s Cauldron Shop. Her mother had long wavy dark hair and her father had light brown hair, and they both had brown eyes.

“Well, if it isn’t Hagrid!” Amilia beamed as she saw the giant walking over towards them with Harry by his side looking rather filthy.

“Harry!” both Astrid and Hermione said together.

Harry grinned as his two friends ran over to him, “What the bloody hell happened to you?” Astrid asked.

“I used the Floo Network for the first time…” He smiled sheepishly.

“’Ello Hermione, Astrid.” Hagrid said happily looking down at them. “Ello Athena!” He waved to Astrid sister who smiled and waved back and Hagrid’s dark eyes landed on Amilia, “Merlin’s beard… is that you, Amilia?”

Amilia grinned and walked over to Hagrid, “You bet.” They hugged warmly. “How have you been, Hagrid? Have you still got Fang?”

Hagrid looked as if he would cry of happiness, “Er, let’s leave them alone.” Astrid said to her friends.

“Yeah, anyway, I’ve got to find the Weasleys.” Harry said.

“I’ll go tell my parents,” Hermione ran off to her mother and father.

“Athena, we’re gonna go find the Weasleys!” Astrid yelled to her sister as they began to walk away.

“Oh, I’m coming with you!” Athena ran after her sister.

“I’ve been well, Amilia! Fang is old an’ is still a great big coward!” he laughed. “And how’ve yeh been?”

Amilia shrugged, “Better since the last time we saw each other,” she said referring to Lily and James’s funeral. “Well, you haven’t changed a bit. Still looking after odd creatures?”

“O’course. Yer kids have grown so much – Astrid’s a real character...”

~~~

“Astrid,” Harry asked as they walked over to Flourish and Blotts, “what do you know about house elves?”

“Not much. You know, technically, I have one.” Astrid said without thinking and Athena looked at her sister with wide scolding eyes.

You do?” Harry asked.

“Uh, sorta’ – it’s complicated – let’s drop it –oh! I see the Weasleys!” Astrid waved over at the Weasleys who were standing just outside of Flourish and Blotts looking around frantically.

“Mum, dad, Harry’s there!” Ron said as he sprinted over to them along with the rest of his family.

“Oh Harry! Are you alright my dear?” Mrs. Weasley asked frantically.

“Yes, Mrs. Weasley, I’m fine.” Harry reassured her.

“Hello, Mrs. and Mr. Weasley.” Athena and Astrid said and they smiled and said hello and how it was good to see them again.

“Where did you come out?” Ron asked.

“Knockturn Alley.” Harry said.

Excellent!” Fred and George said together.

“You two would think that’s something to cheer about.” Athena said while rolling her eyes.

“Now, come on!” Mrs. Weasley said in a rush, “Let’s go inside. Gilderoy Lockhart is signing books!”

Astrid observed the enormous crowd inside Flourish and Blotts. It was filled mostly with girls and women, who all looked anxious to see Gilderoy Lockhart.

“We’ll get to actually meet him!” Hermione squealed, “He’s practically written almost the whole booklist!”

Everyone squeezed inside, Mrs. Weasley was leading the way, pushing through the crowd as everyone picked up their school books. Gilderoy Lockhart was seated at a table which was surrounded by copies of his books and pictures of himself, which were all winking and flashing dazzling smiles. Lockhart was wearing robes that matched his blue eyes and has wavy blonde hair.

“Out of the way,” a man snarled who pushed through them with a camera, “this is for the Daily Prophet.”

“I don’t get what the big deal is – if you ask me, these books are rubbish.” Astrid said, looking quite annoyed.

Hermione gasped, “How could you say that?”

“Look at him,” Astrid waved her hand in Lockhart’s direction, “he’s a pansy. He wouldn’t know the difference between a vampire and a leech.” Ron laughed.

Gilderoy Lockhart looked up at Astrid and then looked at Harry who was on her left.

He stared, then leapt up to his feet, “It can’t be! Harry Potter?

Everyone turned to Harry who immediately looked uncomfortable, and were whispering excitedly. Lockhart suddenly dived forward, grabbed Harry’s arm and pulled him around the table next to his side.

The photographer began to snap photos, “Nice big smile, Harry,” Lockhart said through his beaming smile, “Together, you and I will make the front page.”

“Ladies and gentlemen!” Lockhart began loudly. “What an extraordinary moment this is! When young Harry stepped into Flourish and Blotts, he had no idea that he would shortly be getting much more than my books –free of charge- that he and his schoolmates will, in fact, be getting the real me! I have great pleasure and pride in announcing that I will be taking up the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry!”

As the crowd clapped and cheered and Astrid looked horrified, “We’ll learn nothing.”

Harry walked over to his friends who were now carrying a large pile of books and Mrs. Weasley took them off his hands, “I’ll get them signed dear.” And she hurried in line.

“Come on, let’s get out of here,” Astrid said and they turned to leave the overly crowded shop.

“Bet you loved that, didn’t you, Potter?” They looked to see Malfoy standing on the stairs that led to the second floor of the shop. He immediately came down and stood in front of them with his usual sneer. “Famous Harry Potter. Can’t even go into a bookshop without making the front page.”

“Jealous?” Spat Astrid with a glared.

“Hardly.” Malfoy spat back. He turned to Ron who was carrying this years books, “I suppose your parents will go hungry for a month to pay for all those.”

Ron and Astrid made to jump Malfoy, but Mr. Weasley, Ginny, Fred, George, and Athena came.
Athena grabbed Astrid’s arm and pulled her back.

“What’s going on?” Mr. Weasley said.

“Well, well, well, - Arthur Weasley.” They all looked to see Mr. Malfoy step into the shop. He had long platinum blonde hair, pale gray eyes, a long face, and had a long black walking stick. He placed his hand on Draco’s shoulder and wore the same sneer.

“Lucius,” Mr. Weasley said just as coldly.

“Been busy with all those raids, Weasley? I do hope they’re paying you overtime.” He reached in Ginny’s cauldron and pulled out a very old and battered school book, “Obviously not. What’s the use of being a disgrace to the name of wizard if they don’t even pay you well for it?”

“We have a very different idea of what disgrace is, Malfoy.” Mr. Weasley stated.

“Clearly,” Mr. Malfoy’s eyes drifted over to Mr. and Mrs. Granger who were looking at some books. “Assorting yourself with muggles, Weasley… and I thought you could sink no lower-“
Astrid was sure Mr. Weasley was going to attack Mr. Malfoy, but before he could, they all saw a foot come up between Mr. Malfoy’s legs and kick him. Mr. Malfoy’s eyes widened and he fell to his knees and Draco struggled to help him with also wide eyes.

Amilia stood behind him at the door with a sneer, “I’ve always known you could sink lower, Malfoy.”

Mr. Malfoy turned his head and spat, “Black.”

Athena and Astrid’s eyes widened as they saw looks of confusion cross their friends faces. Draco helped his father up, who turned back to Ginny and thrusted her books to her, “Come, Draco.” He shoved past Amilia with Draco following him swiftly as they left.

“That was bloody brilliant!” Fred and George said in unison.

Amilia laughed lightly, “Sorry, Arthur, for interfering, but I’d never pass a chance to physically hurt Malfoy.”

“No, worries, it’s always welcome.”

~~~

Later, the adults went to the Leaky Cauldron for a few drinks and the kids went to get ice cream at Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour.

“Your mother is wicked.” George said with a grin.

“And she’s very attractive.” Fred added with a smirk.

Gross!” Athena punched Fred in the arm.

“Um, Astrid,” Harry asked gingerly.

“Wha?” She asked, looking up at him with a mouth full of ice cream.

“Well, it’s just that, Mr. Malfoy… he called your mum ‘Black’, why was that?” Harry asked.
Everyone turned to Astrid. Athena’s mind was racing yet was blank and couldn’t think of anything to say.

Astrid gulped her ice cream then sighed and lent back in her chair, “It’s a nickname she got in the wizarding war. She’s not exactly proud of it, but she used really dark magic in battle. Some of them were spells she created – I told you that last year.” She half lied smoothly and Athena let out a silent sigh of relief.

Wicked.” Fred and George said together.

“So, your mother is a very powerful witch, is she?” Hermione asked.

“Oh, yeah. A whole bunch of Voldemort’s followers feared her – and the ones that are still alive still do.” Astrid and Athena grinned.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooookkaaay here you go. Like I've said, I want to get to the third one soon so I'll be updating frequently.
ALSO, I'm going to be posting a new Sirius Black story pretty soon. It has no relation to this series. So, keep a look out for that. :)
Comments are always loved
Thanks for reading!!