Status: new story...tell me what you think!

After All This Time

11.

Lily was sitting at breakfast when Mulciber walked up to her.

“Hey Evans.” He said roughly.

Lily frowned, but nodded, acknowledging him. “Yes, Mulciber?”

He sighed. “I think he’d want you to know…that’s the only reason I’m talking to you…Severus is in the hospital wing, thought you’d ought to know.”

Lily gasped. She grabbed her things and quickly took off for the hospital. She had an hour before first lessons, and her first class was right around the corner anyway. Bursting in, she saw Sev sitting on a bed, eating cereal, and looking miserable.

“Sev!” she shrieked, running to him. “What happened?”

Sev winced. “I took a willow branch to the face, stomach, everything basically.”

She stared at him stupidly. “You what?”

Sev shook his head. “Black played a joke on me…said Lupin was out by the whomping willow…”

She smacked his arm. “You’re so stupid!”

Sev winced. “Ow! Lily, that hurt!”

Madam Pomfrey came out. “Dear, take another potion. Miss Evans, follow me.” She said, giving Sev another goblet and drawing the curtains.

“Is he going to be alright, Madam Pomfrey?” Lily asked.

She nodded. “He’s bruised and battered…he’ll be out by this afternoon. Don’t take your anger out on Black and Potter, Miss Evans. Professor McGonagall said the two were merely trying to save him.”

Lily gave her a look. “What?”

Pomfrey nodded. “Yes, Black did trick him, but Potter risked his life for him. Threw himself at Snape, protected him from a nasty blow. Would’ve been in here for eons with blood loss if Potter hadn’t…Potter had a bloody face when he came in here.”

*~*~*~*

After dinner, James was walking with Sirius and Peter. Lily followed them until she got close enough to tap James.

“Can we talk?” she asked.

James nodded, and his two friends took off. “Finally asking me out, Evans?” he asked cockily.

Lily sighed. “I’m trying to thank you, Potter, and you’re making it awfully hard for me to just be
around you.”

James stared at her. “What do you want to thank me for?”

Lily bit her lip. “Saving Sev.”

James sighed. “It was no problem, really. It was all Sirius’s fault, I didn’t know.”

Lily nodded. “And I wanted to thank you for risking your life. You didn’t have to…I know you don’t like him.”

James gave her a look. “Why do you hang out with him, Lily? He’s horrible...the things he’s done…”

Lily shook her head. “His friends have done that. Sev is a good guy, Potter. He wouldn’t hurt a fly.”

James shook his head. “Lily, I don’t understand. What keeps you around him?”

Lily shook her head yet again. “He’s my best mate, Potter. I don’t expect you to understand. He’s there for me, and he isn’t a pig headed prat. I trust him with my life.” She announced. “But thank you, again, for saving him.”

As Lily walked away, James stared. “You’re welcome, Evans.”

*~*~*~*

Sev was back in his Slytherin room. He was turned on his side, staring at the picture of him and Lily on his bedside table. It wasn’t magical; it was from before they got to Hogwarts.
They were sitting in the meadow, smiling together, heads pressed.

He loved her.

That was the day he’d made up his mind; no matter what, Lily Evans was going to be his. They were best friends, and at one point, best friends fell in love, didn’t they? It had to be true.

He remembered the day before that term; they were lying in the meadow again, fingers laced.

”So you’re ready for school?” Lily asked.

Sev chuckled. “Not particularly…how about you?”

Lily sighed. “Anything to get out of here…Petunia is unbearable.”

Sev smiled. “Don’t worry, Lil. Soon enough, it’s going to be you and me.”

Lily smiled back. “Just the two of us…best friends forever, right Sev?”

Severus nodded eagerly. “Forever…nothing can change that.”

Lily nodded. “Nothing, ever.”


Severus smiled. No matter how hard Potter tried, Lily loved Sev. He was sure of it. He was her best friend, she was his. It only made sense for them to get together. He’d love her forever and treat her like the queen she was.

Severus Snape fell asleep, planning his life with Lily Evans Snape.