Sequel: Bittersweet Memories
Status: finished

Love Bites

I Made a Mistake

Damon vents in the only way he knows how...feeding. He won't show emotion..not that its unusual, he won't talk to anybody. He just drinks all day long and feeds on helpless women; but if that's what it takes to make him feel better, then so be it.

I told him I was here for him, anytime he needed. He won't talk to me. But every night, around midnight, he sneaks into my bedroom and lays with me until dawn. He doesn't know I'm awake when he comes in, but I am. I don't say anything, I just let him lay there; if that's what he needs me for then that's fine. He's always gone before I wake up though. But tonight is different, this time when he sneaks into my room I'm gonna let him know I'm awake. Maybe he'll stay, maybe he won't. Right on point, here he is. Damon quickly and quietly takes off his shoes and gets Into bed with me, snuggling up to my body just like every night. I run my fingers through his hair, something he definitely wasn't expecting.

"goodnight, Damon" I whisper

He doesn't say a word to me, just like I expected. But he does wrap his arm tightly around my waist. In the morning, he's gone. Today I decide to pay him a visit, see how he's doing. It's been a few days and I haven't seen him at all during the day. After my morning ritual, I put on some clothes and head downstairs.

"breakfast?" mom asks

"I'm okay, thanks though"

When I arrive at Stefan and Damon's, I knock and the door is answered by Elena. Right behind her is Stefan.

"hey you two" I grin, knowing exactly where she slept last night

"Savannah" Stefan greets me as he invites me in

"where's Damon?" I ask

"in bed. He doesn't sleep here anymore but always manages to find his bed right before I wake up"

"yeah, I know. He sleeps with me"

Elena's eyes widen.

"no. I mean, he just sleeps in my bed. He started doing that on his own" I say

"I know" Stefan starts "I went to look for him one night, I knew exactly where he'd be"

I give Stefan half a smile then I go upstairs to see Damon. He's under the covers, sprawled out all over the bed. But somehow I know he's awake. I slip off my shoes and get under the covers with him, if he can sleep with me then I can definitely sleep with him.

"how are you?" I ask the back of his head

He turns around eventually and gives me a smile, putting on a show no doubt. "I've been better"

I just nod my head and move closer to him, that's the first thing he's said to me in four days. I run my fingers through his messy hair and wait for him to start talking, because I'm not leaving until he does.

20 minutes pass, 20 minutes of staring at each other and then he finally speaks.

"I made a mistake" he says lowly

"how were you to know she wasn't gonna be-"

"I mean with you."

What?

"what are you talking about?"

"I should of said screw Katherine and stayed with you. One part of me was saying go and the other said stay"

"was the brain or the heart saying stay?"

"neither. I know It wasn't my heart...because I don't have one" he sarcastically whispers that last part

"then what was it?" I ask, rolling my eyes

"I don't know." he tells me "that morning when we kissed, I didn't wanna let you go. I almost didn't"

He's telling me what I want to hear, what I've been waiting to hear. But, it doesn't feel right. He still chose her.

"can you admit you were under Katherine's spell?"

"....yes." he sighs

"she didn't love you Damon. If she did, there wouldn't of been no room for Stefan in her heart and she would of found you when she was freed"

He doesn't say anything, he just stares. He knows what she did to him, that makes it hurt even worse.

"I can't be your second choice, Damon"

"you're not-"

"I've always been. Ill be here for you, anytime you need me...but that's it"

"you're wrong"

The next few days, Damon continues to sleep over my house and in the mornings I go to see him. I spend usually half the day in bed with him. Elena's here also, we've just been blowing off school. But today, I have to go.

"come on Savannah" Elena says, coming into Damon's room. "we had a nice vacation, now back to reality"

"reality as in how much trouble we'll be in for ditching so much school?"

"exactly"

Elena exits Damon's room and I tell him I'll see him later before getting out of bed. Elena says bye to Stefan and we head off to school.

"I hope he'll be okay" Elena says

"I think he's feeling better, actually"

I wasn't just saying that for the sake of being hopeful, everyday I spend with Damon, he seems to be getting back to his old self. I'm still not sure if that's a good thing. I can't understand him, does he really expect me to believe I'm not his second choice? If Katherine came back, we all know exactly which one of us he'd choose, right? Should I just forget everything and just believe him? Take a chance?

Or regret it forever?