Sequel: Bittersweet Memories
Status: finished

Love Bites

One Step At a Time.

"worst night ever. Thus far" I mumble as Damon crawls into bed with me

"tonight? Really? Worse than Logan kidnapping you?"

"yes."

"and Elena's creepy vampire stalker at the dance?"

"yup"

"going into a scary dark tomb?"

"uh huh"

"Bonnie being possessed by her ancestor?"

"ha," I laugh, "you should of turned her, oh the irony."

"you're just mad. If I did that, you would of never talked to me again."

I guess maybe hes right, but at this point I don't care. "whatever,"

Damon nods his head and pulls me in close, "tonight wasn't so bad for me actually. I'm glad it was me instead of you. I don't know what I would of done if the tomb vampires did get their revenge on the founding families. I don't mind suffering if it means you're safe," Damon tells me, "but we're both okay now"

I nod my head and just lay there for a while. I can't fall back asleep so I don't even try. It's silent in the room, that is until Stefan rushes in

"Damon, we gotta go. It's Elena"

I sit up quickly. "what happened to Elena?"

"she called me, hysterical. She said.. 'they're all dead.' come on guys"

Stefan is out of the room quickly, me and Damon follow behind him. "wait. You had a long night, you sure you're up for this?"

"it's Elena."

When we get to Elena's, she's sitting outside on the step, shaking and crying. "Elena!" I rush to her side, "what happened?!"

"they're dead...they're dead"

Damon and Stefan look at each other then head into the house, but Elena grabs Stefan's arm. "No. Please, stay with me" Stefan nods and Damon goes in alone.

"tell us what happened" Stefan says as he wraps an arm around her

"I had just gotten home. I walked inside and went into the kitchen, uncle John and aunt Jenna were lying on the kitchen floor...dead." she pauses, "I screamed for Jeremy, but he didn't answer. I went upstairs, he took a bunch of pills, there was empty bottles all over our bathroom!"

Damon hasn't come out yet so I leave Stefan with Elena and walk inside. "Damon?" I call out

"kitchen." I hear his voice. I walk slowly into the other room and see the two lifeless corpses on the ground. "oh, Jenna..."

"his fingers were cut off." Damon says, referring to John, "somebody was invited in"

"a vampire did this?" Damon just nods his head, "come with me upstairs. Elena said Jeremy..."

"okay." we head upstairs and walk into Jeremy's room. He's lying on his bed, he looks so..peaceful. In the bathroom there's various empty pill bottles. I didn't think he'd really go this far, I didn't think he'd commit suicide.

"um...Savannah." I hear Damon's voice from the other room. I walk back in and see Jeremy...sitting up on the bed.

"Jer-Jeremy?" I ask in disbelief, "but I thought you..."

"I feel weird." he speaks, "my gums hurt...so bad."

Damon looks at him, "Jeremy, what did you do?" then he looks back at me, "go get Stefan."

I know what's happening. I run through the hall and down the steps. "Stefan!" I catch my breath, "Elena, it's Jeremy. He's..he's transitioning."

"he drank Anna's blood." Damon says as we talk in the hall

"but wasn't Anna down-"

"Yes. Anna and her mother got out." Stefan says, "but that stays between us."

"my brother..either has to drink human blood or die?" Elena asks, staring at the wall

Damon nods his head, "he has to make the choice."

"my brother isn't dying!" Elena rushes into the bedroom and we follow after her, Anna is sitting on Jeremy's bed with him

I see the rage in Elena's eyes as she looks at the pint sized but very strong vampire, I grab her arms before she can attack. She would lose anyway.

"Anna, you have to leave. We have to call the cops, there's two dead people downstairs" I tell her

"who?"

"John Gilbert-"

"somebody finally killed that piece of-"

"and Jenna."

Anna's tone changes and she looks at Jeremy, I can tell she feels bad. "okay. You guys gotta make sure he keeps it together" I tell Stefan and Damon

I take Elena downstairs with me and we go outside, she pulls me into a hug. "what am I supposed to do? Have a vampire brother or a dead one? I have no more family left in mystic falls!"

"calm down Elena. We're gonna figure this out, one step at a time"