Status: Active

Phantom Horse

Chapter 10

The guy just stood in front of my stall as I slowly gulped down the water. My ears alert of any movement or sound that caused caution or any detection of it. And I watched him out of my peripheral vision and he just seemed fascinated with me for some reason I don't know. I'm just a white mare. When I was finished I backed up to the corner and away from the boy that didn't show any sign of wanting to hurt me at all. I didn't sense he'd do anything either. But I had to stay cautious, just in case.

I took a step closer to the boy. I was curious to know what he wanted and why he had a fascination with me. His eyes showed so much emotion but the two main emotions that were showing the most was pain and admiration. I took a few cautious steps forward and his head tiltled slightly just a fraction. I was about there when my ears flicked towards my right as I heard a commotion down the hall of the barn. The boy looked towards the direction and smiled as he said, "Hey Jake. What's going on?"

I tensed up and flattened my ears at the sound of the name and backed up and snorted. The boy looked at me confused as Jake started to talk, "Some buyers are here to look at the mare."

"So soon?" The boy looked up at him.

Jake chuckled as he saw my reaction, "Yeah Mr. Wallard want's her out of her."

I bared my teeth at him and arched my neck and leaned my side against the back to get far away from this Jake guy as I possibly could. The boy watched me sadly then looked at Jake as he asked, "Why doesn't she like you?"

"Because, I'm the one that caught her." He said grinning from ear to ear.

There was a minute of silence, "Oh..."

I snorted at the guy and bared my teeth at him and reared up pawing at the air in front of the guy trying to scare him just a little but he just looked up at me and smirked while the boy took a step back cautiously. I landed back on my forelegs and looked at the boy and whinnied at him. I didn't want him to be afraid of me, not him, just the Jake guy.

"Looks like the mare's taking a liking to ya kid." Jake's voice called out and you could hear the sweet venom of the smirk.

The boy looked at him and his eyebrow rose, "How would you know?"

"Because she's a staring right at you and she backed off when you stepped back." He rolled his eyes at the boy and I let out a hoarse neigh and snapped at the guy which made him jump back to get out of reach.

Snorting at him I backed up to the back of the stall and Jake took a whip out of his belt loop and raised it as he growled, "Ya damn horse!"

The boy quickly jumped at Jake and reached for the whip as he shouted, "Knock it off Jake!"

"Get off me boy!" Jake growled and threw him onto the ground.

The boy let out a yelp as his side hit the cement ground. My eyes opened wide as I looked back and forth between the boy and the guy and saw that Jake was beyond pissed and looked like he wanted to kill the boy. On instinct I threw myself at the stall door and felt the sizzling pain of the wooden door slam into my shoulders making a loud smacking sound and Jake immediatly looked in my direction as I backed up and and tried to make the gap between the top of the stall and the stall door but my back legs go caught on the stall door making my lower stomach smack onto the cold metal top of the wooden stall door. I put the pain of that aside and shuffled my way to freedom and fell to the ground, I pounced back up and threw myseld in between the boy and the Jake guy. My legs were spread apart from eachother and my neck was craned, nostrils flaring, and ears flat back. I was glaring down at the guy who was looking back up me trying to catch hold of what the hell just happened.