Status: Active

No Goodbyes This Time

Awkward Cedric.

Harry, Hermione and I stood out on the bridge leading from the clock tower courtyard to Hagrid's hut.

"Harry, you told me you figured the egg out weeks ago! The task is two days from now." I said.

"Really? I had no idea." Harry said, his voice dripping with sarcasm. "I suppose Viktor has figured it out already."

"I wouldn't know, we didn't actually talk about the tournament." Hermione said. "Actually we didn't talk at all, Viktor's more of a physical being." I almost choked on my own spit as she said this. "I mean, he's not particularly loquacious. Mostly he watches me study. It's a bit annoying, actually."

"You are trying to figure this egg out, aren't you?" I said.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Harry asked.

"I mean, these tasks are supposed to test you, in the most brutal way they're almost cruel. And I'm worried for you. You got by the dragon mostly on nerve, I'm not sure if it's going to be enough this time." I said.

"Hey, Potter." Cedric called. I looked up. "Oh, hi Hayley."

"Cedric." Harry muttered as he walked away from him.

"How are you?" Cedric asked.

"Spectacular." Harry said.

"Look, I realise I never thanked you properly for tipping me off about those dragons." He said.

"Forget about it. I'm sure you would've done the same for me." Harry said, starting to walk away again. Cedric stopped him.

"Exactly. You know the prefect's bathroom on the fifth floor?" Harry nodded. "It's not a bad place for a bath. Just take your egg and mull things over in the hot water." Harry pushed his eyebrows together, then Hermione followed him as he walked away. I was about to go as well, but Cedric stopped me. "Hayley, did you have fun at the Yule ball? I didn't get to catch up with you."

"Yeah, I did. Thanks for asking." I said.

"You looked really beautiful." He said. He didn't dare look me in the eye. I paused, unsure of what to say.

"Uh... thanks?" I said awkwardly. I didn't really like him that way, only as a friend. "Did you see Hermione? Didn't she look amazing?"

"Yeah, I suppose." He said. "I'll see you around." He quickly turned and headed back for the castle.

"See you." I muttered, but he didn't hear me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Awkward. Uh. Yeah.
-Ellie x