Status: Completed.

No One Knows You Like I Do

No Good For No One Else But Me

Nick knew it was a crazy thought, but maybe, just maybe, Madison would give him the chance. So, there he was on her doorstep, knocking on the door. But when someone that wasn’t Madison opened the door, he was taken aback.
“Uhm, hi.” He said.
“Can I help you?”
“Is…Madison here?”
“Who might you be?”
“Her…boyfriend.”
“Oooh, please, come in!” She stepped back and allowed him inside. “Madison should be home any minute! Come sit, I’ll get you something to drink.”
“I’ll just have water.” He smiled awkwardly as he sat at the table.
“So, what’s your name?”
“Uhm, Nick. I’m guessing you’re Madison’s mom.”
“Of course! Who else would I be?” She set a glass of ice water in front of Nick and sat across from him.
“You just seem…different than she described.” The front door opened and closed.
“Mom?” Nick’s heartbeat sped up at the sound of her voice.
“In the kitchen.” Madison’s footsteps got louder as she walked closer to the kitchen.
“Sorry I’m late. I stopped by a--” Her met his and they both froze. Madison cleared her throat. “Nick, what are you doing here?”
“I, uhm…”
“He’s your boyfriend! He doesn’t need a reason to come see you!” Madison looked from her mom to Nick and back again.
“Right. Well, let’s go to my room then.” Madison grabbed Nick’s hand and pulled him out of the kitchen and up the stairs. She closed the door behind them and locked it. She turned to face him Nick, who was now sitting on the edge of her bed.
“You told my mom we were still together?”
“I panicked. I didn’t think she’d let me see you otherwise.”
“Fair enough…but why are you even here?”
“I’m going to California. We’re recording. It’s the first full-length, ya know.”
“And you’re telling me thing because…?”
“Well, you were there for a lot of the writing, I mean, some of the songs are even about you. I just thought…you’d want to know.” Madison didn’t know what to say. Hearing Nick tell her he’d written about her put her in shock. She definitely didn’t expect that.
“Congratulations.” It was the only thing she could spit out.
“Thanks.” Nick looked away and rubbed the back of his head nervously. “Look, we’ll be there for a few weeks and people will be stopping by and I thought, maybe, you could?”
“Stop by?”
“Just as a friend. As just the rest of the guys’ friend even. Whatever.”
“A friend?” Madison had thought he’d come to try and get her back, but now he was just looking for her friendship? She wanted him back in her life and if that was the way he wanted it, she’d take it.
“Yeah. A friend.” Nick managed to smile and brought his gaze back up to her eyes.
“I have a job, now.” She didn’t know why she was trying to use this as an excuse. She wanted to go to California.
“Right, well, that’s important. So, I’ll just get going.” He stood up.
“When do you leave for California?”
“Tomorrow.”
“Oh.” They were both silent and fought each other’s gaze. “Well, I’ll try to get some time off, but it’s not guaranteed.”
“Okay, well, we’ll be there a few weeks, so you’ve got time…I’ll, uh, see you around?” Madison nodded as he headed for the door.

******

Nick lay back as the phone took off. He put his headphones in ears and closed his eyes. He was excited to record, but not excited to be out of Boston. Somehow, just being in the same city as Madison made him feel okay, but being on the complete opposite side of the country was not sitting well with him. Even if it was possible that Madison would fly out to see him, he was still uncomfortable leaving.
Nick tried to fall asleep and eventually succeeded. When he woke, the plane was landing at LAX. He quickly texted Justin, letting him know he was landing. Nick put his phone and headphones in his pockets and waited for the okay to grab his carry on from the above compartment.

Justin and Halvo sat, waiting for Nick to come into view. They had been waiting for twenty minutes already and were growing bored. Once Nick finally rounded the corner, they stood up. Without even a hello, Justin said, “Did you talk to her?”
“Hi to you, too, Justin.” He laughed. “Yeah, I did.”
“What happened?!” Halvo asked immediately.
“Geeze, guys. I just got here! Can I grab my other bag first?”
“Fine.” Halvo sighed and sat down. Nick chuckled as he walked over to grab his larger suitcase once he returned, the guys were asking question again and Nick simply rolled his eyes before answering them.

******

Madison stood on Mackenzie’s doorstep impatiently waiting for Mackenzie to come to the door.
“Oh my god, why did you take so long?!” Madison shouted as she pushed passed Mackenzie and went to sit on the couch.
“Well, I’m sorry, I was upstairs.” Mackenzie shut the door and walked over to the couch. “What’s so urgent, my friend?”
“I talked to Nick yesterday.”
“Yesterday? And you’re waiting until now to tell me?! WHY?”
“I thought it would be better to tell you in person and I was too tired to come over after he left and I had to work today, so here I am now.”
“Oh my god. Tell me everything!” Mackenzie sat down as Madison began to tell her everything, beginning with her going her to Nick’s apartment all the way up to him leaving her house awkwardly. “Are you gonna go to California to see him?”
“I’m not sure. I’d have to quit working at my dad’s firm because I know they won’t give me the time off.”
“You hate that place anyway!”
“I know, but--”
“Stop trying to come up with an excuse, Madison!”
“He just wants to be his friend, though.”
“That is the farthest thing from the truth. He thinks that it’s all you are willing to be and he’ll take you any way he can have you, even if you’re just friends. You need to fly out there and show him you’re willing to give him another chance.”
“But--”
“If another ‘but’ or some other attempt of an excuse comes out of your mouth, I will slap you. That’s a promise.” Madison sighed and weighed her options. If he didn’t want her back, she would finally have the push to move to Philadelphia. If he did, well, then Madison would care about anything else.
“Okay. I’ll go.”
“Yessssss!” Mackenzie cheered and hugged her best friend tightly. “Don’t you dare come back without a boyfriend!”
“But what if he doesn’t want me back, though?” Mackenzie lightly slapped Madison. “Heeeeey!”
“I warned you!”
“Alright, alright!” She held up her hands in defense, so Mackenzie wouldn’t slap her again.
“So, when are you leaving?” Mackenzie grinned.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, how many people are loving Mackenzie right now? I know I am! She's giving Madison that kick, not push, she needs to go back to Nick. The next chapter is goOoOoOoOod~
Thanks for the comments, katnisseverdeen, heartsinruins, mandiimouse, & lovelyhope. <3