Status: Completed.

No One Knows You Like I Do

Waiting to Make My Move

Madison had been helping Mackenzie pack up her things to take to Arizona. It was a bittersweet task, to say the least. She wasn’t ready to have her best friend move to the other side of the country. She wanted her to happy with Garrett, though, and if Mackenzie thought that would be by moving to Arizona, then Madison would be behind her 100%.
Madison quietly put Mackenzie’s books into a box while Mackenzie folded up her clothes.
“Only 2 more days of you living here.” Madison sighed.
“I know! It’s crazy, isn’t it?” Mackenzie grinned.
“Crazy. Yep.”
“Oh, Madison, you know I’m going to miss you like crazy! You’re practically my sister! I just want to be closer to Garrett.”
“I know, I know. I’m just gonna miss you so much.” Madison eyes started to water, but she wiped at them quickly.
“Oh, don’t you start crying!” Mackenzie’s eyes started watering and it was all downhill from there. The two girls started crying and it didn’t seem to stop. They hugged each other tightly as they sobbed.
Nick, who had been on a coffee run, walked into the room and stopped at the sight of the sobbing girls. He sighed as he set the coffees down on Mackenzie’s desk. He knew this would happen.
“Hey, c’mon, don’t cry.” He said as he walked over to the girls. Madison pulled away from Mackenzie and turned to Nick. She wrapped her arms around torso and started sobbing into his chest.
“It’s hard not to.” Madison said.
“I know, but it’s not like you’ll never see each other again. Everything will be okay and you’ll still be best friends.”
“I know, but--”
“Shhh. Stop. Everything will be fine. I don’t want to see you cry anymore.” He wiped the tears from Madison’s cheeks. She took a few calming breaths and relaxed herself.
“Okay.” Mackenzie calmed down as well and started packing her clothes again.
“Here, drink your coffees before they get cold.” He grabbed the cups from the desk and handed them to the girls.
“Now, I know I was in charge of finding you way to Arizona with all your things and Justin gave me the best idea.”
“Uh-oh.” Madison said.
“Don’t ‘uh-oh.’ It’s a great idea!”
“Well, let’s get on with it, then.” Mackenzie said.
“We’ll pack up my van and Madison and I will drive you out there, that way the two of you have a few more days together!”
“Oh my god, that’s, like, the best idea I’ve ever heard!” Madison said. “Are you sure you’re up for being in a van with 2 girls for a few days, though?”
“How is it any different than helping pack up a room with 2 girls for a few days?” He chuckled.
“Oh, it’ll be a lot different. Trust me.” Madison chuckled. “But, hey, if you think you can handle it, then I am down for the road trip.”

******

Four hours into the drive to Arizona, Nick was regretting this choice. Not even because the girls were annoying him. It was because they were having a walk down memory lane and he was feeling left out. He had nothing to contribute to the conversation because they were talking about their elementary school years.
Nick was getting hungry, now, and a Waffle House was coming into view.
“You girls okay with stopping to eat?” Nick asked.
“Yes! I’m starving!” Mackenzie said. Nick pulled into the Waffle House parking lot and turned off the engine. The girls hopped out of the van quickly and ran inside. Nick sighed to himself as he locked up the van. Once inside, he saw that the girls were already seated, so he walked over to the table. He slid into the booth next to Madison and picked up his menu.
Mackenzie stood up from the booth.
“I’m gonna go wash my hands. Be right back.” She skipped off to the bathroom, leaving Nick and Madison alone.
Nick set down his menu and looked over at Madison until she felt his gaze and looked up at him.
“What?” She giggled.
“Nothing, nothing.” He shook his head.
“Don’t lie to me.”
“Just…” He sighed. “You’ve been ignoring and talking about all these memories, having a good ol’ time, and I’m just there driving quietly.”
“Awh.” Madison grabbed Nick’s hand and intertwined their fingers. “I’m sorry. I’ll move front and we’ll include you. I don’t want you left out.” She kissed his cheek sweetly as Mackenzie returned to the table.
A few more hours into the drive and the two girls had fallen asleep. Madison was leaning against the window and Nick looked over at her. He smiled to himself as he pulled into a hotel parking lot. He was getting tired and he figured it’d be best to just got get some sleep.
He locked up the van and went to check into a room. When he returned to the van, he woke up the girls and helped them into the room.
Madison curled up next to Nick once they were in their bed and he wrapped an arm around her waist. He kissed the top of her head before closing his eyes and drifting off to sleep.

******

Madison was driving and they were just a few hours away from Arizona. It’d been a long few days, but it was fun. Madison still wasn’t ready to say goodbye to Mackenzie, but she knew she had to.
“Am I going the right way?” Madison asked and Nick looked at the directions on his phone.
“Yeah, you’re fine, stop worrying.” He chuckled.
“I just want to make sure! I’ve never had to drive to Arizona before.”
“Well, I would tell you if you were going the wrong way.”
“How do I know that?”
“Don’t you trust me?”
“I guess.” Nick gave her a look and she rolled her eyes. “Okay, okay.” She chuckled.
“How far are we from my boyfriend?” Mackenzie asked from the backseat.
“About 4 hours.” Nick replied. Mackenzie sighed and sat back in her seat. She texted Garrett about how far away they were before stretching out and lying down across the backseats.
Nick turned up the radio and Taylor Swift was playing. It was like he had a sixth sense for her songs or something. He smiled as he bobbed his head to the beat.
’ Cause our song is the slamming screen door, sneakin' out late, tapping on his window. When we're on the phone and he talks real slow, 'cause it's late and his mama don't know!
Madison sang along because she loved Taylor Swift, too. Mackenzie watched as the two went back and forth with the lyrics until the song ended.
I was riding shotgun with my hair undone in the front seat of his car. I grabbed a pen and an old napkin and I wrote down our song.” Nick and Madison laughed as Nick turned down the radio.
“God, you two are so cute, it’s sickening.” Mackenzie said as she covered her face with her hands. Nick and Madison continued to laugh.
“We are pretty cute, aren’t we?” Madison smirked.
“You know we are.”
“Okay, you can stop at any time.” Mackenzie said.
“She’s just bitter because she wishes Garrett and her were as cute as us.” Madison said.
“Hey, we are way cute. We just don’t get to show off like you two.”
“Good thing you’re moving in with him, then. You guys can be cute any time you want.” Madison shrugged.
“Hey, you want to me to drive the last few hours?” Nick asked.
“If you want to.”
“Yeah, it’s fine.” He chuckled.
“Well, okay.”
The next time they came to a stopping point, the two hopped out of the van to switch. Before they did so, though, Nick placed his hands on Madison’s waist and pressed his lips to hers.
“Do you guys HAVE to do that?” Mackenzie groaned.
“Yep.” Madison said before reconnecting her lips with Nick’s.
“Well, I have to pee.” Mackenzie pushed passed them to go into the bathroom at the gas station they had stopped at. Nick and Madison chuckled before one last peck. They hopped back in the car before Mackenzie returned.

******

Garrett was standing outside his house when Nick, Madison, and Mackenzie pulled up. Mackenzie pushed the side door open and jumped out onto the sidewalk. She ran over to Garrett and wrapped her arms around his neck. She placed a kiss on his lips as he put his hands on her waist.
“Let’s just leave these two alone.” Nick chuckled as he grabbed Madison’s hand in his.
“Wait, no! They get to be alone together forever! We’re leaving tomorrow and I want to spend time with my best friend.”
“Well, your best friend is currently making out with her boyfriend, so I don’t know how much time you’ll be able to spend with her. Now, come on, we’ll be right back.” Nick laughed. “Let’s just go for a walk.”
“Fine.” She sighed and let him lead her away from the other couple. “Have you spent a lot of time in Arizona?” She asked after they’d been walking in silence for almost 5 minutes.
“What? Uhm, yeah. Well, some.”
“Are you okay?” Madison chuckled. “You seem a little a nervous or something.”
“Okay, I wanted to wait a little while longer, but I don’t think I can, if we’re going to be alone in a van as we drive back home tomorrow.” He stopped and ran his hands nervously through his hair.
“Nick, I’m confused. What are you talking about?”
“Madison.” He cleared his throat and grabbed Madison’s hands. “I love you.”
“I love you, too.” She chuckled. “But I’m still confused.”
“I…I have something for you.” He reached into his pocket. “I’ll, uh, get down on one knee, if that’s what you want.” He knelt down on one knee.
“Oh my god.” Madison covered her mouth.
“Madison Rae, will you marry me?” He smiled nervously up at her. Madison nodded as tears formed in her eyes. Nick stood up and held Madison in his arms. “I love you so much.” He whispered. Madison attached her lips to his as he lifted her off the ground.
Nick set her back down and put the ring on her finger. He intertwined their fingers before they headed back to Garrett and Mackenzie’s place.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know I've been MIA for a while and I sincerely apologize! My brain has been so scattered and life has been crazy. I hope y'all are still with me here! We're nearing the end (only three chapters left) and I'll start working on the sequel. To be honest, I haven't even STARTED the sequel, but I have an outline of how that's going to go, so don't worry! BUT I have chosen a title, The Tide Is Holding Us Beneath. I haven't posted the summary, yet, because I don't want to ruin the end of this before I finish, but as soon as this story is over, there will be a summary. Go subscribe now! :)
Along with the sequel, I have another The Maine story: You Leave Me Broken (We Won't Regret This is almost finished and I have You Leave Me Broken to start posting), a John story: Caught In The Waves Of Hesitation (which also doesn't have a summary, but I just don't want to give away to much and I can't think of anything that sounds good, but it's John O'Callaghan and I'm really loving this story, so if you would subscribe now, I will post the first chapter within the next few days so you can get a feel of it. I really think you guys will like it!!), and I have a few ideas for some Garrett stories bouncing around in my head. I need to talk those out with my best friend and see what she thinks before I start those. But I hope you guys will check all these things out because I'm going to be very bored this summer (besides a few AWESOME events taking place in June) and I will (hopefully) have lots of writing/typing up time!
Okay, I think that's everything I wanted to get out. Thanks for sticking around my lovely readers! <3