Status: Completed.

No One Knows You Like I Do

Forget About What They Say

Madison hugged Mackenzie tightly.
“I’ll see you soon, okay?” Mackenzie said. Madison nodded. She wanted to say something, but hesitated in fear of crying her eyes out. “You’ll always be my best friend. No matter how far we are from each other.”
“Mhm.” Madison managed to say. Madison quickly hugged Garrett before hopping into Nick’s van. Nick said his quick goodbyes and followed after her.
“It’s gonna be okay.” Nick said as he buckled his seatbelt.
“I know.” Madison sighed. “It’s just going to be hard to get used to, that’s all.”
“I know, but I’ll help you through it, okay?”
“I know you will.” Madison smiled as Nick started the van and the drive back home began.

******

The apartment came into view and Nick couldn’t be happier. He was exhausted and clearly so was Madison since she was asleep in the passenger seat.
“Madison.” Nick whispered.
“Hmm?” She mumbled.
“We’re home.” He smiled as they pulled into the parking lt. Madison slowly opened her eyes and sat up in her seat.
“Hey, we are.” She smiled. She stretched her arms and pulled her sweater sleeves up on her shoulders.
Nick parked the van in its usual spot and unbuckled quickly. Madison followed suit and stepped out of the van. “I’m ready for a nap.” Madison said as Nick wrapped an arm around her shoulders.
You’re ready for a nap? I haven’t slept since we left the last hotel.” Nick chuckled.
“I’m sorry.”
“It’s fine.” He kissed her temple. “We’re home now, so let’s just get inside and go to bed.”
“I’ll race ya.” Madison smirked before she ran for the door.
“Not fair!” He ran after her and stopped at the door when she stopped. “Is there a problem?”
“I don’t have my key.” Nick laughed as he pulled his key out of his pocket to unlock the door.
“I guess I win, then.” He smirked.
“Not even!” Madison brushed passed him, once the door was open and ran down the stairs to their room. Nick shook his head as he unlocked up and made his way down to the room at an average speed.
Madison was already wrapped up in the covers when Nick got downstairs. He chuckled as he slipped his shoes off and joined her in the bed.

******

Madison started a pot of coffee as Nick still slept downstairs. She put her favorite movie on TV as she waited for the coffee as well as Nick to wake up.
“I will never understand your obsession with this movie.” Nick chuckled from the doorway. Madison gasped and turned around.
“How could you say something like that?!”
“I just meant, how do you not get tired of it?” He said as he made his way over to the couch.
“Because it’s the greatest movie in existence.”
“I beg to differ.”
“I can’t believe you’ve never told me your real feelings before! It’s like I don’t know you at all. I don’t think I can marry you.” She said dramatically and Nick let out a nervous laugh. He knew she was joking, but he didn’t like that she was joking about something like that.
“I’ve sat through this movie a million times and I’ll sit through it a million more times because I love you. It’s just not my favorite movie.” Madison blushed. She leaned over to him and pecked his lips lightly.
“You are the most perfect boyfriend -- fiancé -- I could ever ask for.” She kissed him again, but for longer this time.
“Ya know,” Madison started. “Maybe I will give those Harry Potter books a try. I mean, you sit through this movie all the time and don’t even like it that much, the least I could do is try reading those silly books.”
“I love you.” Nick chuckled before pecking her lips. “Is that coffee I smell?”
“Of course. Who do you think you live with?”
“You have got a point there!” He stood up and walked into the kitchen. He pulled two mugs out of the cupboard and poured coffee in them. He added creamer and sugar to both before returned to the couch.
Madison sipped her coffee and stared at the TV screen. She wasn’t even really watching the movie anymore, but thinking instead. Even though her and Nick had just got engaged, she knew she had to tell her parents. If they waited too long, her parents would find out and they would not be happy. It would be safer to tell them sooner instead of later.
“So, I was thinking…” Madison turned off the movie, set her mug on the table, and turned to Nick. “We should have dinner with my parents soon and…tell them we’re engaged.”
“Why so soon? I mean, it’s fine, I don’t mind, but you won’t mind if we wait a little while to tell my parents, do you?”
“It’s just…my parents will be really mad at me if I don’t tell them. I mean, you know how they are…kinda.”
“I understand. So, you set up dinner with them and we’ll go.” He smiled.
“Thanks.” She breathed a sigh of relief.

******

Madison and Nick stood on the porch of Madison’s parents’ house. Nick fidgeted with his shirt for the tenth time since they had left their apartment. Madison rang the doorbell and Nick’s already fast heartbeat sped up. He cleared his throat as he tried to calm himself down. Madison chuckled and Nick shot her a look.
“Don’t be so nervous!” Madison said as she pulled Nick’s arms down to his sides, so he’d stop messing with his shirt.
“You’re always telling me how strict they are! I don’t want them to hate me!”
“My mom already loves you and my dad will, too. Just relax!” She pecked his cheek as Madison’s younger brother pulled open the door.
“You’re actually here.” Josh said.
“Of course, we are. What did you expect?” Madison chuckled as her and Nick stepped inside.
“I don’t know.” He shrugged. “I guess it’s just weird without you here and I might’ve missed you. That’s all.”
“Awh, Josh, I missed you, too.” She hugged her brother tightly as Nick stood beside them awkwardly. “Oh, Josh, this is Nick.” Madison’s eyes lit up as she made eye contact with Nick. Josh looked Nick up and down before putting his had out to shake Nick’s.
“We’ve actually met before, remember?”
“Oh, that’s right! You answered the door once when I came to pick up Madison. Good to see you again.” Nick smiled nervously.
“No need to be so nervous, Nick! Dad isn’t that bad, I promise.”
“See?” Madison chuckled. “Josh, we’re gonna go find Mom.” Josh nodded and went back upstairs, where his friend had been waiting for him.
“Do you know who that guy is?” Patrick, Josh’s friend, said.
“My sister’s boyfriend?” Josh said with his eyebrow raised.
“Also, my English teacher…as well as your sister’s English teacher. Or was our teacher.”
“What are you saying?”
“Your sister is dating a teacher.” Patrick laughed. “I wonder if they dated before she graduated…”
“Don’t say things like that.” Josh scoffed.
“Your sister is way different than I expected. Never woulda though she’d bang a teacher.” Patrick smirked.
“That’s my sister you’re talking about!” Josh groaned in disgust.
“I’m jus saying, you don’t really know people until you kn0ow if they’d bang a teacher or not.” Patrick shrugged. “Anyway, I gotta go. My mom says I gotta be home for dinner.” He stood up and headed for the door.
“Wait! Are you sure Nick was your English teacher?”
“Of course. He was the only teacher that let us call him by his first name.” Josh groaned again. “Sorry. I’ll see ya later, though, yeah?”
“Yeah.” Josh sighed. “See ya.” Patrick made his way down the stairs and out the door.
Josh slowly went downstairs to see what everyone else was up to, also to see if dinner was ready.
“Hey, I was just about to call you down. Dinner’s ready.” Madison smiled.
“Oh.”
“You okay? You look like you’ve seen a ghost or something.”
“No…no ghosts, I mean. I’m fine.” He went over to the table and sat down in his usual seat. Madison chuckled as she walked over to grab the salad bowl to put on the table.
Madison and Josh’s dad walked into the dining room, making his first appearance of the night. Nick’s level of nervousness rose once again.
“Sorry I’m late. I had a phone call that lasted much longer than I had intended.” His gaze fell upon Madison. “Ah, Madison, it’s definitely nice to see you. It is much too quite without you around the house.” He smiled and walked over to give her a tight hug. Madison kissed him on the cheek as a hello.
“Dad, this is Nick.” She turned to Nick and pulled him closer, leaving a hand on his forearm. She gave him a reassuring grin.
“So, you’re the young man after my only daughter’s heart.”
“Y-yes, sir.” Nick attempted to smile.
“Richard, don’t scare the poor boy!” Donna, Madison’s mother, said.
“I’m just messing with him.” Richard chuckled. “It’s nice to finally meet you, Nick.” He held his hand out to shake Nick’s.
“Nice to meet you, too, sir.”
“Firm handshake, I like that. Now, come sit down.” He led Nick over to the table as Madison and her mom finished bringing dinner over. “And enough with this ‘sir’ business! Please, call me Richard.”

Dinner seemed to be going quite well and Nick had calmed down loads. He was no longer nervous and held a very nice conversation with Richard; one that Madison had surely tuned out of and had no idea what was occurring. Regardless, it made her smile to think that the two of them were actually getting along, and much better than she had anticipated. She figured it was as good a time as any to fill her parents in on the engagement.
“Mom, Dad.” She finally spoke up. She looked to Nick and gave him a smile. “Nick and I have something to tell you. It’s actually the reason I asked to come to dinner tonight.”
“Do fill us in.” Richard said.
“Well, this past week Nick and I visited some friends in Arizona and, while we were out there, Nick asked me to marry him…and I said yes. We’re engaged.” Madison grinned as she intertwined her fingers with Nick’s.
“Wow. I mean, don’t you think you’re a little young, Madison? You’re barely eighteen!”
“Donna, don’t say that! We got engaged when you were just nineteen.” Richard smiled. “If you’re in love, that’s all that matters. Madison, I think this is great news. Welcome to the family, Nick.”
“Thank you, si--Richard.” Nick chuckled. “I do love you daughter, very much.”
Josh fidgeted in his seat across from Madison. It really bothered him that Nick had been Madison’s teacher. It meant he was older and definitely more experienced. He found it hard to believe that Nick could actually be in love, like really in love, with his sister. Josh may be younger than Madison, but he still felt the need to be protective over her.
“Josh, you’ve been quiet throughout all of dinner. Do you have anything to say about your sister’s engagement?” Donna asked.
“Uhm…” He cleared his throat. “How did you two meet?”
“Well, Nick is in a band and I went to one of his shows a while back with Mackenzie and we just hit if off, ya know?”
“I’m pretty sure I fell in love with her the first time our eyes met.” Nick confessed with a sheepish smile.
“Awh, stop it!” Madison hit his arm lightly.
“Aren’t they just the cutest, Richard?” Donna squealed. “Maybe you aren’t too young. You seem so in love.”
“Thanks, Mom.” Madison smiled.
“Wait.” Josh spoke up and everyone turned to him. “There’s something you guys should know.” Madison shot him a look of confusion before he continued. “Nick…Nick was Madison’s English teacher. Patrick told me. He had him, too. That’s really how you two met, isn’t it?” He glared at Nick and Madison.
“Josh! How could you make up something like that?” Donna shouted.
“I’m not making it up, Mom! Just ask them!” Richard and Donna both glanced at Nick and Madison. Nick was staring down at his hands; the nerves had not only returned, but also shot through the roof. He knew this would come back to bite him.
“Madison…” Donna asked.
“That’s not how we met! Not the first time, I mean.” Madison said. “We met exactly how I told you we met. Although, at the time, I had no idea that Nick was also a part-time teacher. When school started and I walked into his classroom, I was just as surprised as you are now, but I had already fallen for him before that! We tried to ignore our feelings, but it became too difficult, okay? You said it yourself, we’re in love, that’s all that matters, right?”
“Madison, have you any idea what could happen to your father’s name if this gets out?” Donna said, not looking at Madison.
“I’ll never get another case again! These are the kinds of cases that I deal with on a daily basis! You know this, Madison! You know these kinds of things are wrong.” Richard said in anger.
“What happened to ‘Welcome to the family, Nick?’” Madison seethed.
“Well, obviously you two can’t get married anymore.”
“That’s a joke, right?” Madison stood up from the table in her anger. “I love him, Dad. You can’t take that away from me. If you care more about your name than your daughter’s happiness, then fine. Consider yourself no longer the father of me. You’re not going to take away the only thing in my life that makes me happier than anything else does. Come on, Nick, we’re leaving.” Nick got up from the table and started following Madison to the door.
“Madison, wait. Don’t be so unreasonable here!” Donna said.
“No, Donna, let her go. If she chooses him over our family, then so be it.”
“He cares more about me than either of you ever have. That’s what a family is. People that love and care about you unconditionally. I don’t need you.” Madison huffed before she threw open the door. Her and Nick stepped outside and she slammed the door behind them.
Madison was madder at her parent’s for being so ignorant than she was at her brother for telling her parent’s in the first place. She knew that he didn’t mean harm; he was just looking out for her. She just wished he could have gone to her to talk about it instead of saying it in front of her parents.
“I’m so sorry about everything, Nick.” Madison said with tears in her eyes once they reached the car. Nick ran over to hug her tightly and wipe away the tears.
“You have nothing to be sorry about, Madison. You had no idea that was going to happen. I’m just sorry that I couldn’t be a better person in your parents’ eyes.” He sighed.
“Don’t say things like that. What they see doesn’t matter. I love you and you’re all I need. I don’t need them at all.”
“But Madison, they’re you parents.”
“It doesn’t matter. If they can’t accept that we’re in love, then I can’t accept them as my parents. You’ve cared more about me in the time we’ve known each other than they have my entire life. It’d be wrong to turn my back on you for them. I choose you over them any day.”
“I love you, Madison. So much, but are you sure you still want this? Still want to be with me?”
“It’s the most sure I’ve ever been. I love you and nothing will ever change that, especially my parents.” She kissed his cheek lightly. “Now, let’s get out of here. I could really use a good night’s rest after all that.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So....it's been a really long time. I'm super sorry about the wait, I mean it. I honestly have no excuse for not updating except for pure laziness. I barely get on the computer and when I do, it never lasts very long. I remember the days when I updated almost everyday. I wish I could go back to that, but it's just not always so easy. I just hope you guys are still there to read this and will continue to read when I start to post the sequel.
Anyway, let me know how you feel about this chapter! Thanks :)