Status: completed.

His Name Is Kirby Jones

nine;

“You brought me to a derelict bowling alley?” Zoey said, looking up at the sign of ‘Spike’s Strikes” which had the ‘S’ removed from Spike’s and the ‘E’ in Strike’s was hanging off. The whole sign use to be lit up three years ago, before it closed down. Spike’s Strike’s had been shut down due to finances and due to it being at least half an hour away from town, hardly anybody came here, in fact the place was abandoned from civilisation.

It looked filthy, paint peeling off it, the windows smashed, and the doors boarded up.

“Hey, never judge a book by its cover” Kirby said, as he opened the door and got out.

“But what if the book is completely fallen apart?” she mumbled smartly as she got out too.

“Follow me Zoey” Kirby called as he made his way over to the building. Zoey, timidly followed.

“Kirby, we could get into trouble for this” Zoey whispered loudly as she quickly caught up with him, and Kirby was trying to knock the door down.

“Zoey, relax…nothing will happen to you with me around.” He insisted and with one final, tough kick, the door broke and Kirby reached under and smiled as he twisted the door knob, and due to rust and it being broken so many times, it opened without a problem.

“How’d you do that?” Zoey asked in disbelief.

“Tricks of the trade” Kirby joked, and pushed the door open, and it creaked loudly.

“Come on” he urged and went into the darkness, and Zoey hesitated. Realising, she hadn’t following, Kirby appeared in the light again.

“Zoey, trust me…please?” Kirby said softly, and with a heavy sigh, Zoey went in, and Kirby followed her.

“Be careful, there might be missing floorboards” Kirby said quietly behind her.
“What are we doing here?” she asked looking around, it was dark and she could hardly see a thing in front of her.

“I’d thought I’d be original, and bring you here instead of sitting in a park, or a diner, or going to see a movie. Why not hang out in an old bowling alley?” Kirby said, in what sounded a serious tone.

“You’re insane” Zoey laughed and Kirby smirked in the darkness. Kirby stepped closer to her, her back against his chest. Her breathing hitched silently, and Zoey willed herself to calm down.

“So, we’re going to stand in the dark?” Zoey asked smartly, her voice shaking slightly and she felt Kirby move away.

“Kirby?” she asked worriedly, she didn’t mean to insult him.

“Kirby, don’t freak me out…” she said sadly, and then yelped as the dim, yellow lights came on. She then heard Kirby’s laughter about three metres away and his hands on what looked like a generator.

“What the hell!” Zoey snapped, Kirby couldn’t contain his hysteria as he almost curled over.
Huffing slightly, Zoey crossed her arms and glared in his direction.

“I’m sorry –” Kirby wheezed, holding his hand up protest, and coughed as he continued his laughter.

“But your face was a picture…” he finished, and stood up straight again. Zoey rolled her eyes and turned away from him, looking at the place. It looked so old now, not how she could picture is when she used to come here.

The alleys seemed in good tact, in fact the pins were still standing, and a few random balls were lying around. The bar looked completely ruined, covered in dust and sheets, and the chairs were all bent and crooked. But overall, the building was still standing. Glancing behind her shoulder, she saw a few floorboards were missing where carpet had been ripped up.

“How’d you find this place?” Zoey asked, mesmerized almost. She took her bag off, dropping it to the floor.

“Second day here, we had already unpacked and I went for a drive, ended up here, just never been in.” Kirby said, walking over.

“How’d you know the generator….”

“Lucky guess” Kirby admitted sheepishly, and due to him being in reach, Zoey hit his arm playfully. Kirby pretended to be offended.

“You hit like a dude!” he complained, as he rubbed his arm which was cladded in a black leather jacket.

“Brothers” Zoey replied automatically. Kirby smiled at her as she looked around again.

“Want to play?” Kirby teased, as he waltzed over and picked up two bowling balls easily, he handed on to Zoey who looked at it blankly.

“Bowling…it doesn’t work Kirby” Zoey said slowly, as if Kirby needed it be.

“Okay granted we can only have one hit each….whoever knocks down the most, wins.” Kirby compromised, but Zoey still had a question.

“But what if I get a strike?” she said, smirking slightly. Kirby scoffed.

“If you get a strike, I’ll buy you a milkshake.” Kirby said, smiling a lopsided grin at her. Zoey thought for a moment, and nodded in confirmation.

“Chocolate?” she threatened suddenly, narrowing her eyes. Kirby laughed.

“What else?” he replied as if it was obvious and this time Zoey nodded and offered out a hand. Kirby took it, and tingles spread through their skin.

“Right, bring it on.” Zoey said, her competitive side sinking in and the joyful thought of a free chocolate milkshake.

“Losers-“ Kirby coughed exaggeratedly “I mean ladies first” he corrected, smirking knowingly. Zoey laughed sarcastically before taking her place, and looked at the pins, focussed.

“Nice and easy” Kirby mocked, and Zoey tensed as she felt him step closer behind her.
Zoey cleared her throat, as she swung the ball, careful not to hit Kirby. She threw the ball, wishing silently for it to hit all the pins.

It rolled, and rolled and then smacked the pins.

All of them.

“YES!” Zoey shrieked victoriously, throwing her arms up in the arm and starting dancing happily, wiggling her hips, and she didn’t notice Kirby’s eyes glance down then back up, laughing at her childish response.

“In your face Kirby Jones!” Zoey said, grinning as she spun around and faced him. Kirby smiled.

“I guess I owe you a milkshake, and I don’t get a shot…” Kirby said, pretending to be sad and hurt. Zoey giggled.

“Try not to cry honey…” she teased, and patted his chest, then stepped away and walked past him. Kirby chuckled to himself.

“I’ll cry myself to sleep…” he insisted, and Zoey rolled her eyes as she picked up her bag.

“Well, hope your pillow is water-absorbent” Zoey teased, and Kirby continued to laugh.

“Come on then, I want that milkshake.” Zoey said firmly, and Kirby shook his head, making his curls bounce.

They left the building, laughing and joking as they made their way to the diner, where the best milkshakes were.

When they finally sat down with their drinks, two chocolate milkshakes, courtesy of Kirby, they finally had a chance to talk.

“Thanks” Zoey said softly, as she sipped the luscious drink. Kirby smiled, and nodded as he watched Zoey take another sip.

“You’re welcome.” He murmured, and took a sip of his own, surprised at how good it actually tasted.

“So mind if I ask why you moved here….especially in the middle of your senior year?” Zoey asked kindly, looking at him, flicking her fringe out of her eye to the left as usual.

“Um, family problems.” Kirby said vaguely, which indicated he didn’t want to talk about it, and looked anywhere but at Zoey. Deciding not to push it, Zoey gave an easy smile and sipped her drink.

“I’ve been here a week and all I know is your name is Zoey Titian, you’re 17, go to the same school as me, and you have a sibling…”

“Five actually” Zoey corrected, and Kirby’s eyes widened.

“Five, all brothers?” Kirby asked, and Zoey nodded, smirking. “Yep, five protective brothers….fun huh?” she teased, and Kirby laughed casually.

“That must be rough, do they hate you dating?” Kirby asked charmingly. Zoey started to blush, and looked down instantly. Kirby noticed her reaction.

“What’s wrong? You’ve dated right?” Kirby asked unsure, and Zoey didn’t reply.

“I haven’t been on a date before. My first kiss was when I was 14, and it was with my neighbour, and that was because he felt sorry for me…” Zoey mumbled, feeling even more ashamed. Kirby found it adorable, and reached his hand across, and took Zoey’s hand away from hiding her face.

“Hey, it’s nothing to be embarrassed about….in fact, I think it’s cute.” Kirby said, and Zoey scoffed.

“Yeah right, a girl of the age of 17 has never been on a real date before due to her over-protective, stupid brothers…” Zoey grumbled, and Kirby sighed softly.

“Zoey, it’s cute…trust me.” He said reassuringly. Zoey sighed as she sipped her drink again and looked at Kirby, who had a soft smile on his face. His lips looked so soft, and Zoey wanted to reach across, and kiss him.

Shaking those thoughts out of her mind, Kirby got her attention again.

“So, five brothers, never been on a date, what else?” Kirby asked.

“Um, my favourite colour is Turquoise, I love peanut butter and I want to travel to London when I’m older” Zoey said, trying to think of interesting things.

“Cool, I’ve been to London actually…” Kirby said and that perked Zoey’s interest.

“Really?” she asked excitedly, Kirby nodded.

“Yep, went on the London Eye, saw a West End show and even had a picture by Big Ben…I have to say, London is pretty amazing, great shopping too.” Kirby expanded, and Zoey absorbed it all in.

“How come you went there?” Zoey asked, wanting to know everything about it.

“I was visiting my Aunt and Uncle who moved there before I was even born. I went sight-seeing with them and my little cousins.” Kirby said fondly.

“Aw, what age?” Zoey immediately cooed.

“Alex is nine and Holly is six” Kirby replied and Zoey smiled.

“Bet they adore you huh?” she blurted out, and Kirby laughed as he noticed how Zoey panicked slightly as she said it.

“They love the fact I’m older than them, they showed me off everywhere last time, as if I was some top celebrity star.” Kirby laughed, thinking of the memory and Zoey chuckled as she tried to recover from her previous mistake.

“Tell me about you Kirby, my life isn’t that interesting…” Zoey argued, and Kirby shook his head.

“I disagree, I find you very interesting…” Kirby said, winking at her and almost making her melt again. Zoey blushed, and looked away.

“But if you want to know, my favourite colour is blue, I love skittles, best candy ever made, I love my car as you know, I play the guitar for fun oh and something you should know….I adore coffee, any drink, any food containing coffee, I adore.” Kirby said smoothly, and Zoey smiled at him.

“Coffee addict?” she teased and Kirby held his hands up surrender.

“I’ll admit it now” he called, and chuckled as he saw Zoey smiling at him in wonder.

“What about you, any siblings?” Zoey asked, and Kirby shook his head.

“Nope, just little old me” Kirby said, in a false sad tone.

“You know sometimes I wish I was an only child, only sometimes though because living with six guys is tough…” Zoey laughed, and Kirby gave her an understanding look.

“What about your Mom, you two close?” Kirby asked interestedly. Immediately, Zoey’s face dropped.

“Um, my Mom died six years ago…” she murmured softly, not looking at Kirby, not wanting to see the sympathy held in his eyes. She was fiddling her thumbs, seeing a hangnail on her right one, when she felt Kirby’s strong, masculine one cover her left hand.

“I’m sorry to hear that” he said, sounding genuine. Zoey tried to smile, but couldn’t quite manage, even six years on, it still hurt just as much.

“It happens” Zoey mumbled croakily.

“I feel bad for making you tell me that….so want to know something?” Kirby said gently, and Zoey looked up finally, show she was interested.

“You didn’t make me” she sighed, and Kirby shook his head.

“Doesn’t matter, I want to tell you something.” Kirby said, and Zoey looked at him, wiping her eyes quickly before the tears fell.

“I live with my grandparents; my Dad’s most likely dead from drug use and my Mum left me at my grandparents when I was seven. She dropped me off for the weekend except she didn’t come back for me…” Kirby said, sounding monotone, as if he didn’t want to feel any emotion towards it.

Zoey felt her face immediately show sympathy, despite her own hating of it. “That sucks Kirby, I’m sorry…” Zoey said tenderly and squeezed his hand. Kirby shrugged.

“Like you said, it happens” he said, his voice returning to normal. They let go, and their hands returned to their normal position.

They changed their subjects then, moving completely away from family. Zoey found it so easy to talk to him; and Kirby liked listening and putting his own input in. They could joke, and fool around, and be themselves and there was no denying a new friendship was bound to happen. The added chemistry between them, which was oblivious to them, was just an added bonus.
--
“How was Elena’s?” Marcus asked as Zoey shuffled in about seven o’ clock that night, half an hour before dinner was due. She had kindly asked that Kirby dropped her off, three houses away so none of her family would see she wasn’t with Elena. Instead, a boy, called Kirby Jones.

Hell would have broken loose.

“Um good” Zoey mumbled, still thinking of when her hand tingled when Kirby touched it. Marcus smiled at his daughter and flicked to page of the newspaper he was reading.

“Drew’s on a date, Tommy is in his room, Kennedy is doing his homework, and Luc is reading I think…” Marcus said, chuckling.
Zoey nodded as she took off her cardigan.

“Where’s Jonah?” she asked, and Marcus looked at her before answering.

“Jonah’s gone out.” He said, and Zoey nodded, not wanting to know anymore.
It had been difficult these past couple of days, not talking to her brother. She knew she couldn’t hold a grudge forever, but she at least deserved an apology.

“You going to go get cleaned up for dinner?” Marcus asked, and Zoey nodded and headed upstairs. She went into the bathroom, washing her hands and face and examined her face. She was actually really tired, and couldn’t wait to sleep tonight. She tied up her hair, pushing it away from her face and left.

Zoey paused as she was about to in her room, and went to go check on Kennedy, when she peeked her head in, he had her back to her, with his headphones in his ears and he appeared to be writing. Deciding it was best to leave him, Zoey went back to her own doorway, when she felt the need to go talk to someone, someone that would understand, someone she wouldn’t have to lie to.

Zoey knocked on the door and waited patiently for him to call.

“Come in” his voice came, and Zoey slowly opened the door, and quickly closed it behind her. He was sitting on his bed, the one by the window, and smiled softly at her.

“What’s up peanut?” Lucas asked, dog-earring the page he was just reading, and closed the book and putting it on the bedside table.

Zoey bit her lip nervously. Lucas waited patiently, and Zoey sighed, and finally walked forward, and made herself comfortable on the bed.

“You know how you guys are protective of me and stuff?” Zoey said nervously, wringing her hands. Lucas nodded.

“Just because we love you.” He added, and Zoey nodded, understanding.

“Well, you’re not as bad as the others…which I’m grateful for.” Zoey said slowly, trying to form words in her head. Lucas nodded.

“I think the others believe you’re still a baby you see and you need protecting from everything…” Lucas argued, defending his brothers and father’s actions. Zoey nodded.

“I know, but you understand how I feel right? About stuff…” Zoey said quietly.

“What you saying Zoey?” Lucas asked confused, and sat upright.

“I think…I think I like this guy” Zoey admitted quickly, and Lucas blinked before answering.

“A guy?” he repeated, unsure of what he was meant to say.

“I know I’d normally talk to Elena about this stuff but last time I told her something she went an said it too loudly and now Jonah and I aren’t talking and you’re kind of the only person I feel I can talk to without getting shouted at or forbidden from leaving the house…” Zoey explained, seeing her brother’s perplexed expression.

“Right, I get you…so this guy was he the one that brought you home the other day?” Lucas asked softly, and Zoey nodded, feeling her cheeks burning.

“And I went out with him tonight…” Zoey added

“So you weren’t at Elena’s?” Lucas asked, and Zoey looked right at him, seeing he looked completely confused.

“No, I knew that if I told Jonah I was going with Kirby-“

“Kirby?” Lucas blurted, interrupting her. Zoey smiled slightly.

“Yeah, Kirby Jones…” she said, as if she was introducing him. Lucas nodded, and kept quiet as she continued.

“I knew that Jonah wouldn’t let me go, and then he’d come and tell everyone…” Zoey finished, and Lucas nodded, this was true.

“So what now…does this guy like you back?” Lucas asked interestedly. Zoey shrugged.

“I don’t think so; I’m way out of his league.” Zoey muttered feeling disheartened. Lucas shook his head.

“I find that hard to believe, more like you’re out of his, peanut.” Lucas argued gently, and Zoey rolled her eyes and playfully his arm softly.

“You have to say that, your family.” She mumbled, looking down at the floor.

“No, I tell the truth.” Lucas argued again, and Zoey merely shrugged in response.

“Guys, Zoey….dinner’s ready!” Marcus called, bringing Zoey and Lucas out of their thoughts.

“So what should I do?” Zoey quickly asked, as she got off the bed. Lucas did the same and put his arm around her shoulders.

“You talk to him, become friends and see where it goes, don’t rush into anything. I’m sure this Kirby will return the feelings Zoey, how could he not?” Lucas said softly, smiling at her. Zoey grinned.

“Do you think?” she asked excitedly. Lucas shook his head.

“I know.” He corrected, and Zoey smiled to herself as they left the bedroom, and watched as
Kennedy ran downstairs, and Tommy followed, making weird monster type noises to scare Kennedy.

“Luc, promise not to tell anyone?” Zoey asked feebly, and Lucas held out his pinkie finger which was perhaps double the size of Zoey’s.

They interlocked pinkies, and smiled at each other.

“Pinkie promise” Lucas confirmed, and chuckled as he patted her shoulder, urging that they should go downstairs. Zoey did, and when she sat down to eat, she couldn’t help feel a bit better, and saw Lucas was smiling fondly at her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you like it? :)
Thanks for support, please comment? :)

Anything you want to happen specifically? :P <3
Let me know