Textbook Romance

Hiding Behind Beautiful.

We headed back to the venue after that, walking back the way we came while shooting mild insults at each other the whole time. When we walked through the gates of the venue, Max had to flash his pass to get the two of us through, now that kids were starting to line up in the front of the building to wait for the doors to open.

"I'm late," I groaned as I looked at the time on Max's phone since I didn't bother to pay the bill for mine.

"I'll walk you in," Max told me, "So that Tey doesn't try to fire you already."

I chuckled nervously. "I thought the band was in charge of their merch, girls," I said, biting my lip as Max and I started walking across the back parking lot towards the double doors that would lead into the back rooms and the stage.

"Tey could put in a complaint, though," Max said.

Max banged on the double doors when he realized it was locked. And then he glared at the doors like they would disintegrate in front of us. When they didn't, and nobody came, he rolled his eyes and pulled his cell out of his pocket.

"Craig, man, come let us in the back," he said a minute later when his singer answered the phone. "We're locked out."

Craig talked for a minute, dropping the f-word and causing Max to glare at the floor.

"I'll be there when I fucking get there," Max growled, "Sound check can wait."

I could hear Craig shouting and then Max shot a few curse words at him before ending the call and waiting impatiently for Craig to show up and let us in. I laughed when five minutes past and Max growled and reached for his phone again. Before he could dial the number the doors burst open and a guy I hadn't seen before smirked at Max as he held the doors open.

"Thanks," Max growled as he grabbed my wrist and yanked me past the guy.

I chuckled at Max's obvious frustration as he pulled me down the hallways behind the stage, already having them memorized from just a couple hours of wandering around in them.

He pulled me out to the floor where, in a couple of hours, kids would be filling up. In every section of the merch. area, there were two or three people standing there getting ready to sell shirts to the kids. Max yanked me over to where Tey was frantically laying out the shirts in their corresponding piles.

"Hey, man," Max greeted as we walked over.

Tey stood up and turned around to look at us. "Nice of you to come to work," he said towards me, although I could see a slight smile on his face. Then he turned to Max, "Nice, uh, hair... color."

Max thanked him quickly and then took the blame for me being late, like a gentleman would.

"I expect you to be on time in the future," Tey said when Max finished taking the blame.

I nodded automatically. But Max scoffed and threw his arm over my shoulder, looking at Tey with a faux mad expression. "She'll be to work when I say she can come to work," he said as he wrapped his arms around my shoulders and hung on me like I was holding him up.

His chin was on my shoulder as he and Tey joked around and "negotiated" my terms of employment. When someone cleared their throat behind me I looked to my right and then over Max's head.

"I'd appreciate it if you'd let go of my girl, Max," Neil said as he stood behind us.

Max rolled his eyes. "If she's still your girl after you blackened my eye."

I sent Max a glare and turned around, pushing his hips backwards and away from me. He gave me an innocent look as he stood slightly behind me. Leaving me between Neil and himself as Tey went back to work, minding his own business.

"Can I talk to you?" Neil asked as he motioned behind him and away from the merch. booths.

I shook my head. "I have to get back to work," I told him.

Neil sighed. "But you have enough time to chat with Max." he stated.

"He was just walking me back, Neil," I said, watching as he gave me a wondering look. "I'll talk to you later. After the show or something."

Neil sighed and turned to walk away, leaving Max to smirk next to me. I smacked his chest as I turned back to Tey and slid over the counter. "I'll see you later, too," I said to Max, motioning for him to leave.

He shrugged and sat on the counter. "I think I'll hang out for a little bit," he said, folding his knees up to his chin.

I rolled my eyes at him. "You're late for soundcheck," I told him matter-a-factly, pointing to the stage and then shooing him off.

He shook his head. "They can wait. I run that band and I say that I'd rather hang out here with you."

Tey chuckled but didn't stop what he was doing to get rid of Max. I sighed and turned around, ignoring the bassist as he sat and watched me work, setting up the piles of shirt by style and size.

It took about 25 minutes for us to finish with the shirts, and then we got out the case that we'd put the money in. It had a lock in the front that would keep the money safe and on the top it had the band name in case we'd get it mixed in with the ones from the other bands.

The doors would open in about 45 minutes and I knew now that Max had completely skipped soundcheck. Tey, Max, and I sat on the counter as we waited and Max ducked behind me when Bryan appeared on the stage, obviously looking for Max as he peered across the venue.

Max hid behind me and the counter and cursed when his cell phone started ringing in his pocket. "What?" he asked as he pulled it out and held it to his face. "I'm busy."

I rolled my eyes and reached behind me to grab his arm. "Get off of me," Max whisper-yelled as I tried to yank him up and expose him to Monte who was still standing on the stage, talking the phone and searching for his missing bassist.

"Max, get up!" I said forcefully, causing Monte to look my way when he noticed I was struggling with something.

When Max slapped my hand off of his arm I stood up from the counter. The guys at the booth next to us were laughing as we distracted them from finishing their work. "Bryan!" I shouted across the floor.

"Nev, sit down," Max growled at me.

I shook my head at him as Bryan looked over to me. "He's down he-"

Before I could finish Max had stood up and wrapped his arms around me before yanking me over the counter and pulling me down behind it with him. His hand was covering my mouth as he told me to be quiet.

The guys next to us had cracked up laughing as Max held me hostage. I glared at Max which caused him to uncover my mouth but still hold me down. He was crouched down in a squat and had me pressed against his chest and between his legs as I was forced to squat down too.

"I have to get dressed and do my makeup, Maxwell," I growled as I tried to stand up.

Max's cheek was against mine, and when he shook his head his head his freshly trimmed hair ticked my cheek. I sighed and leaned my head back against his shoulder, knowing he wasn't going to let me go until he felt like it.

Max breath hit my neck as we hid behind the counter. I sighed and stayed there with him, not fighting him to let me go because he wouldn't until he got bored.

We stayed like that for almost five minutes until Max was being dragged up by his shirt. Craig, Robert, and Monte were standing there looking at us with their arms crossed after they dragged Max up.

"Are you quitting the band for the night or..?" Robert trailed off, trying to hide his laughter as Max shook them off and jumped over the counter.

"Nah, I'm coming. Was just spending a little time with a pretty girl."

I rolled my eyes. "See you later, Max," I said, "Good luck."

Max looked over his shoulder as he started to walk away. "Bye, Beautiful. Enjoy the show."
♠ ♠ ♠
This is for Rachele Kristine; because she updated twice and then once on accident. (:

And I have two and a half more chapters to post.