Falling In

Truth Be Told

“Ethan!” I shouted to the house.

“What?” he shouted back from upstairs.

“Can you help me here?!” I shouted out before I screamed.

His frantic footsteps came closer as I laid on the ground. “What happened?! Holy shit!” he said as he approached me.

“I forgot how hard it is to bathe Avalanche in the winter season. And I forgot how heavy he is,” I mumbled as I got up from the floor, soaking wet. Ethan laughed hysterically as he pulled up my soaking body to a standing position.

After that dinner with him, everything seemed to be so much better. We got through the first two days of the event without a fight and without a hitch, it was just like the old days. Except the hugging and cuddling and all that cute stuff.

“You’re so adorable,” he cooed at me.

“You’re so not,” I mumbled as I walked up the stairs.

“Wasn’t talking to you!” he grinned at me.

I shot him a dirty look. “Go dry off Avie,” I rolled my eyes as I went up to my room to change out of my wet clothes.

On the third day of the X-Games, I rode with Ethan. It was the day full of snowboarding. It was for sure going to be a long day. I had my snowboarding gear with me, just in case I felt like doing a run or two. After the men’s event, the women’s division was to compete. Reporters had approached me for an interview which I answered a few questions about the sponsorship and whatnot.

After the long day of events, meeting my future rivals for gold next year. I somehow found myself sitting next to Hazelyn Dolciani, and of course her husban at one of the tents. She was the infamous daughter of Drina Macintosh and Calvin White - owners of Apple Inc. And of course, she was famous because of her mad snowboarding skills. Her being married to the totally gorgeous Ryan Dolciani was just a plus. The whole snowboarding world was crazy over it a year ago when they got married. There were a few stories about their whole love story and how they’re finally gonna get their elegant wedding this year.

“Hey! Ryan! Come on! Ride with us!” Louie Vito shouted. “Hey Lyn! You mind if I borrow your husband?” he asked as he approached the tent. “OH hey crazy,” he smiled at me. I just waved at him.

“Nope, take him away,” Hazelyn said with a laugh.

“Come on bro,” Louie said.

“I don’t wanna leave you,” Ryan pouted at Hazelyn. She rolled her eyes at him and pushed him away lightly.

“I’m a big girl. I can take care of a broken bone better than you,” she laughed.

“Hey! Just because I fuss over it and worry,” he huffed at her.

“Go. Go with them. I’ll see you at the party,” she said.

“You sure?”

“I’m positive,” she said, nodding at him. She nodded as she let go of him and he stood up. He then leaned down and kissed her lightly right in front of the guys and the both of them smiled into the kiss before he pulled away. “I’ll see you later,” he said to her. She nodded at him.

“Come on bro!” Louie said. “Thanks Lyn!” he grinned as he gave her a hug.

“Go get drunk off your ass. I’ll drive home,” she laughed.

“Have I told you how much I love you?” he asked her.

Her eyes twinkled as she let out a soft chuckle. “A few times,” she grinned. “I love you, I’ll see you later. Go have fun,” she said and placed her hands on his stomach and pushed him away.

She watched him walk away and he turned one last time towards her giving her a wink before he disappeared out of sight and into a corner.

“Damn, why can’t all guys be like that?” I found myself mumble.

She looked over at me with a twinkle in her eye. “You must be Stella Grace?” she asked and held her hand out. “Hazelyn Dolciani,” she introduced. “God, even after a whole year I still can’t get used to that,” she laughed.

“Stella Grace Descenzo,” I smiled as I shook her hand.

“Nice to meet you. Welcome to the professional side of the snowboarding industry. I’ve seen you compete at Mt. Rose last week. No wonder you’re sponsored by Red Bull, you’re crazy!” she laughed.

“No, not at all. I just love the sport,” I chuckled. “You though, are crazy,” I said. “That sounded mean, it was supposed to come out as a compliment,” I laughed and she too started laughing.

“Well thank you for your insulting compliment,” she said playfully. “But in all seriousness, Ryan and I…,” she paused and looked towards him. “We’ve been through hell and back together,” she said with a soft smile.

“You have to get through hell before you get to love,” I scoffed. “It’s painful as hell, and that’s the exact reason I’d never fall in love.”

She looked at me, raising an eyebrow. “From experience?” she teased. I blushed, and took a glance at Ethan whom was in the same group as Ryan. “Ethan Versace, huh?” she asked, following my eyes.

“Wh-what? No,” I stuttered.

“Bestfriend?”

I smirked. “Used to be,” I nodded.

“Mind if I ask what happened?” she asked as she moved to the chair next to mine.

“Crazy stuff,” I said to her. “I’d tell you, but I’d have to kill you,” I joked.

She laughed at that. “That crazy, huh?” I just nodded at her as I looked towards the distance where Ethan was. He was talking to a group of people, probably people from magazines and stuff. “You love him,” she said to me.

“What?” I asked, furrowing my eyebrows at the accusation.

She laughed once again. “The way you just looked at him, and smiled. It’s undeniable,” she told me.

“I liked him a long time ago. I was young and crazy,” I laughed nervously.

“You’re like, 21 now?” she asked me.

I nodded. “I met him when I was fifteen. I went to his bestfriend’s graduation party. I was friends with his bestfriend’s sister,” I explained, smiling at the memory. “I didn’t even know the graduate at that time, I just went to visit them with my cousin. Turned out, he’s my brother’s bestfriend,” I laughed.

“Wow,” she chuckled. “And then?”

“Well, I spent summer’s down in South California, and he spent winters up in Tahoe with me. Sometimes here in Aspen. But it just didn’t work out, you know?” I laughed dryly.

“How long?” she asked me.

“How long what?”

“How long did you avoid him?” she asked me. I looked sharply at her, but she was staring out in the distance, and obviously she was looking at her husband.

“How’d you know?” I asked.

“You and I are very much alike, Stella Grace,” she smiled at me. “I just moved here from London when I met him. I was 17 and I lived alone in an empty house, a few minutes away from my brothers. We went to the same school, we were in the same Physics class. He was my physics partner and my Performing Arts partner,” she smiled. “I hated his guts. He probably made out with every girl in the campus,” she scoffed. “But who knew? We became bestfriends, and eventually we got together. We got through Freshman Year of college, but Sophomore year, he transferred to the school I went to,” she smiled.

“Awww,” I cooed.

“Not awww,” she scrunched her nose. “We broke up at that time,” she said. “This bitch got in the way, and well, we broke up. He was an ass,” she shook her head. “I ran away from him. Three years,” she said. “But here we are now, married,” she laughed.

I smiled at how happy she was. “Four,” I told her. She raised an eyebrow at me. “Four years. I left him for four years,” I said to her.

“What happened?” she asked me. “Damn, I wouldn’t even have known how the fuck to live another year without him,” she said with a scoff.

Stella Grace Descenzo ; June Of 2008

“They cancelled session 4, so I’m coming home early,” I told Deegan.

“Alright, you want me to pick you up?”

“No, I’m okay. I’m gonna go surprise Ethan,” I told him.

He laughed at me. “OH Stella, how in love you are,” he cooed.

“I am not!” I giggled.

“You just fucking giggled,” he laughed. “Go get on that plane and get to your love,” he laughed. “And I need to get back home before my dad kills me,” he whispered. He spent his week in Alaska and he barely got service. He told me that there was only one spot that he could make a phone call. It was in the middle of the woods, half a mile from his house. It was still their property though.

“Okay. Say hi to him for me. Oh and say hi to Alexa for me,” I laughed as I could practically feel him blushing.

“You’ve gotta meet her,” he told me seriously.

“Next summer, I’ll go with you,” I promised him.

“I’ll hold you to that,” he chuckled. “I posted some new pictures. Check it out. But I seriously gotta go, my phone’s dying,” he said.

“Okay, love you Deegs!”

“Love you too Stells, now go get your boy,” he laughed as he hung up.

I got out of my plane, as I dragged my suitcase with me. I knew it would be worth it though. Everything was worth it if it involved Ethan. I hailed a cab and got in, the driver helping me shove it all in the trunk.

“Where did you board?” the driver asked me.

“Oregon,” I told him.

He smiled at me. “That’s cool. Are you on your way home?”

“No, I’m visiting my best friend,” I told him.

“Must be a special friend,” he laughed.

“Kind of,” I laughed. “Can we make a stop?” I asked him. I stopped by Katherine’s house to drop off my stuff, so I didn’t have to carry so much and thanked her as I ran back to the cab with my purse. Yes, a fucking purse.

“Well, have fun in San Diego while you’re here,” the cab driver told me as I got out. “Oh and good luck with your plan,” he said and I thanked him as I closed the door.

I took a deep breath as I pulled my legs up to the front door and stared at the doorknob as I contemplated to ring the doorbell or use my key. I finally decided on using the key after staring at it for a good 5 minutes. It was fairly quiet, so I dropped off my purse at the couch before walking up the stairs to the familiar hallway. I opened the door quietly, the one that led to Ethan’s room.

It was dark, and I waited for my eyes to adjust a bit. The lamp next to the bed was turned on, giving me enough light to see Ethan, peacefully lying there. I smiled at the view but it instantly fell when I saw another naked body covered by the comforter next to own naked one that was also covered.

I was about to let out a screech, but I put both my hands over my mouth the tears threatening to fall. I didn’t bother closing the door, nor bothered to stay quiet. I ran down the stairs and grabbed my purse as I ran out the door and out of his neighborhood.

That was the reason that Heather gave me that gift. So that I wouldn’t spend the month in San Diego, where she wanted to spend her time. Dating the guy I potentially loved behind my back.

What a fucking bestfriend. Literally.


“Holy shit,” Hazelyn’s jaw dropped.

“Yup,” I nodded.

“Was that the last time you saw him?”

“Yup,” I nodded.

“Did you ever talk about it with him?”

I paused for a second. “No,” I said quietly.

“Stella, you have to talk to him,” she told me.

“I- I cant,” I sighed.

“You have to. You cant keep avoiding the problem all the time,” she told me earnestly. When I didn’t say anything, she looked at me and looked at our surroundings before speaking again. “I thought Ryan got a girl pregnant,” she said to me. My jaw dropped. “Thought,” she repeated. “For three years. I ran away from him because of something I thought,” she said. “I regretted not talking to him sooner.” She shook her head. “My point is, after three years I found out that he didn’t even touch the girl, she set it up. I could’ve been happier earlier,” she said to me. “Talk to him.”

I looked at her, and took a deep breath. “It was a long time ago,” I whispered.

“Honey, love doesn’t fade that quickly,” she laughed.

“He liked me, not loved,” I mumbled.

She shook her head at me. “He looks at you the same way Ryan looks at me. I saw that article on Transworld. Those pictures on that article? That’s just a printed version of how he see’s you,” she smiled at me.

“Hazelyn?” I smiled at her. “You’re the big sister I wish I had,” I laughed as I gave her a hug.

“Do everyone a favor and talk to him?” she chuckled. “You know, people usually confuse love with hurt and stuff like that. They always say love hurts, but you know what?” she asked glancing at me. “The truth is, loneliness hurts, rejection hurts, losing the one you love hurts. Envy hurts. They blame everything on love, when the truth is love overcomes all of that. Because of love I forgot about everything that happened between Ryan and I and it overcame all the hurt. It makes somebody feel wonderful,” she smiled at me, then looked me in the eye before leaving me with something to think about. “Love is the only thing in the world that doesn’t hurt,” she said.

I just kept quiet. I looked up and saw Ethan coming towards us, and approached us with a wide smile on his face.

“Hi Lyn,” he waved.

“Hey Ethan,” she said and gave him a hug. “I’ll get going,” she said and snuck a glance at me. “Give it a shot,” she winked at me before walking off.

“Let’s go?” I asked him, and he just nodded.
♠ ♠ ♠
there's half the story of WHY they stopped talking!!! :O