Be My Life Jacket

“Fire and beer. What a good combination.”

It had only taken a few moments for everyone to go back to what they were doing after the unintentional scene Sam and I had caused.

“I really am sorry.” Sam said one last time.

“It’s no big deal, really. If I wanted you to feel bad, I’d be milking it.” I chuckled. “But I’m not. And I’m going to be able to have any fun if you keep apologizing. And neither are you. So stop.”

“Fine.” She sighed.

The sun was setting, painting the sky an orangey-pink colour. It was so beautiful, I forgot where I was for a second.

I felt Sam’s hand wrap around my own, pulling me toward the picnic table where she began dressing herself again. I followed suit, pulling my t-shirt over my slightly wet body and slipping my socks and shoes back on.

“So, I heard there’s going to be a bonfire tonight.” She said sitting down and propping her head up on her fist.

“That sounds fun.” I lied with fake enthusiasm as I sat across from her. “Fire and beer. What a good combination.” I laughed to myself.

“Now that I think about it…,” she trailed off laughing as hard as me.

“That’s why I don’t drink.” I explained. “You do stupid things when you’re drunk. And I feel like keeping my criminal record clean for as long as I can.”

“You’re not going to drink?” She asked, arching an eyebrow.

“Nah.” I mumbled, mentally slapping myself for telling her. Now she probably thinks I’m some sort of nerd that’s extremely sheltered.

“That’s okay.” She giggled. “I like a guy who doesn’t buckle under peer pressure.” She gave an adorable smile.

“Oh I think I see the guys trying to light a fire.” I said, trying to change the subject. She looked where I was pointing, where 4 guys were huddled around the fire pit.

“I guess they are. Want to see if they need any help?” She asked.

“Sure.” I said.

***

“Dude, I dare you to run through the fire.” I heard one guy say. I hoped to God that the ‘dude’ wouldn’t do it. That’d get us kicked out for sure. It’d be a public disturbance.

It was dark by this time and Sam was in back in the water with some of her girl friends. I’d been left alone on a log, shivering against the night air.

“Hey.” I heard a semi-familiar female voice slur from beside me.

“Hi.” I mumbled, turning to face her. Her blonde hair was perfectly smooth and dry and her bathing suit was covered up by a small towel that she’d wrapped around herself. I recognized her as Jessica; I’d been introduced to her earlier.

“You wanna come back to my place?”

“I’m good.” I replied, now avoiding her gaze.

“Why not?” She pouted, making me face her.

“I don’t know you.”

“So get to know me.” She giggled.

“I’m good.” I reiterated.

“You’re no fun.” She said, pushing my face away before storming off to another guy.

I felt something wet on my shoulder, so I turned around in surprise. It was Sam. She had her arms wrapped around me.

“Hey.” She said with a smile.

“Hi.” I replied awkwardly.

“I’m tired.” She sighed, plopping down beside me, taking the place of the girl earlier.

“Then let’s leave.” I suggested hopefully.

“I don’t want to.” She whined. “This fire is so pretty and nice.” I could smell the alcohol on her breath every time she opened her mouth.

“At least get dried off.” I admonished.

“Fine…,” she sighed, dragging out the ‘I’.

I went with her to the table where she found her towel in the darkness and dried herself off before putting her clothes back on once again.

I convinced her that it was getting late and that we should go home, so we started packing our stuff into the back of my truck, and after we said goodbye, we departed. I could tell Sam was falling asleep, because every time I took a glance at her, her head was just a little father down, until it reached the window. I couldn’t see her face, so I assumed she was sleeping, and decided against turning the radio on in fear of waking her.

We reached my house in 20 minutes. I parked the car and unbuckled myself, turning to Sam. I reached out to shake her awake, but she woke up before I could. I assumed it was my bright porch lights that did it.

“We’re here.” I announced pointlessly. “Do you need me to drive you home?” I asked, concerned at her state.

“No!” She screeched. “I can’t go home like this!”

“Why not?” I asked, confused.

“My parents will know I drank.” She slurred.

“Then why did you drink?” I asked incredulously.

“I don’t know.” She admitted, her shoulders slumping.

“So…,” I trailed off, not knowing what to say, or what she wanted me to do.

“Can I…,” she hesitated. “Can I spend the night here?” She finished. “I’ll sleep on the couch…or the floor. You won’t even know I’m here.” She promised.

I let out a deep sigh before I agreed. Maybe my aunt and uncle would be asleep and I could just sneak her in. Or maybe they’d be awake and reject Sam’s night-spending.

“Let’s go. You can borrow some pajamas from me if you want.” I said, hopping out of the car before wheeling around to her side to help her out. I knew she’d be wobbling and I didn’t need her getting injured.

“Thanks so much Mick.” She beamed. “I owe you one.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 5! Thanks for reading. Subscribe of you like it. Comment if you have something to say (:

~Kylie