Stolen Seconds

Twenty: Sharing a Room

Billy joined us in the hallway and we wall just ate cookies and didn’t really talk besides Aaron and Nick talking about my nonexistent parakeet.

Finally Aaron and Nick left to back to their rooms and so did Billy. I groaned as I got up from the floor. Zak was leaning up against his hotel room door; staring at me. I asked,” You okay over there? You look like your zoning out?”

He kinda smiled and blinked. I walked over to him and hugged him preparing to go back to my room. He didn’t go right inside his room when I walked away but I really didn’t pay much attention to that. I put my hands in my pockets as I got to my door and realized my key was no longer in my pocket. I looked around me and then I saw Zak smiling like a fool with a keycard in his hand.

I rolled my eyes and walked back over to him. He put my keycard in his front pocket of his sweat pants and opened his door. I put my hand on my hip and demanded,” Give me my key!”

He held the door open for me and I crossed my arms as I made my way into his room. I
joked,” You’re so difficult!”

He closed the door behind us and said,” Welcome to my hotel room.”

I sat on the edge of his bed while he offered me some food from his food basket. I shook my head at his offer because I wasn’t hungry. He walked away from the desk and he laid down on the left side of the bed. I just sat there wondering if I’d ever get me key back.

He patted the right side of the bed and stated,” You can lay down if you want? I don’t bite.”

I laughed as I scooted back towards the pillows and replied,” I don’t buy that.”

I’m not going to lie. I was a bit nervous of lying down next to Zak. But I was also happy and excited. So really I was just big bucket of emotions. I put my head on the pillow and faced him. I could still smell his cologne and it made me feel light headed.

He brushed a piece of hair that fell from my bun out of my face and behind my ear. I felt myself blush and I saw him smile at my reaction. He complimented,” You looked beautiful.”

I questioned,” Really? I have no makeup on and I look like a bum.”

He chuckled and disagreed,” No you don’t look like a bum. I think you can pull off wearing no makeup.”

I answered,” well thanks.”

He asked,” Is it okay if I turn off the light?”

I asked back,” Am I staying in here?”

Zak smiled kindly,” Well I would like you to.”

I pulled the blankets on top of me and said,” Go ahead and turn the lights off.”

The lights went out and my eyes were readjusting to the darkness and I rolled onto my left side so I was no longer facing Zak. I felt his arm reach over my back and hold my hand before falling asleep.

I blinked a few times before I realized I was fully awake. The curtains were open and the sun was shining through. I noticed that I had moved since I fell asleep and so had Zak. He was now shirtless. From what I recall, he wasn’t shirtless last night. My head was on his chest and his arm was still around me.

I woke up feeling refreshed though. I’m pretty sure that I just had the best sleep in such a long time. Feeling Zak’s steady breathing underneath me I could tell that he was still sleeping. I softly moved his hand and sat up. I padded to the hotel bathroom and checked my reflection.

I didn’t look that bed considering that I had just woken up. I took his toothpaste and brushed my teeth with my finger; afraid of morning breathe. I let my hair out of the bun and brushed my fingers through it. I was sure that Zak still had my room key so I could go change or anything so I had deal with what I had on.

I walked back into the room and walked over to the little kitchen area where Zak had all of the snacks for the lockdowns. I began trying to quietly dig through the bag. As soon as I grabbed a little pack of chocolate donuts I heard the sheets rustle.

I looked over my shoulder with a donut in my mouth. I probably looked like a deer in the headlights or a kid who had just been caught with his hand in the cookie jar. Except Zak wasn’t looking at me, he was searching the bed for where I had went. I bet you he thought I had left. He should check his front pocket because I can’t leave without my key.

I cleared my throat even though my mouth was full. His eyes met mine and I could see the flash of relief on his face. I held out a donut to see if he wanted one. He shook his head and his head hit the pillow again.

I walked over to his side of the bed and said,” You’re going to have to get up sometime.”

He grumbled,” Why?”

I replied,” Cause I kind of need my hotel key so I can go get ready and Aaron and Nick haven’t left yet and I’m sure they’ll want to see you.”

He reached into his pocket and handed me my room key. I said thank you quietly and began to walk towards the door. I asked,” So I’ll see you later?”

He smiled as he propped himself up on his elbow,” Yeah meet me in the lobby tonight at five and dress nicely.”

I nodded,” Alright see you then.”