Status: On hold for now, siffering from writers block.

Standing in the Rain

Klutz

The ride to school was silent except for the music coming from the speakers. I stepped out of his car and could smell the rain.

"Three... two.... one." It started to rain, I smiled.

"Are you ever wrong?" He chuckled.

We walked up to the main entrance as the bell rang. It never mattered how early or late we left his house. For some reason we always managed to arrive a minute or two before the bell.

"See you at lunch," I called as we went our separate ways. We only had one class together, luckily we had the same lunch. Lunch however, seemed to never come. I thought I was going to die waiting for the bell to release us from the guidance counselor. He kept going on about our upcoming push into the real world, otherwise known as graduation. When the bell finally did ring and lunch came I had a total of 13 people ask about my head. Eight of them calling me a klutz. Luckily though no one noticed my wrist. I put my bag in my locker and looked at the mirror inside. My head was pretty bad, there was a cut about and inch long, surrounded by a huge bruise. I slammed my locker shut and jumped. Ryan was standing there, I didn't even hear him come up let alone see him. He laughed lightly.

"A bit skittish are we?" He stopped laughing and very gently brushed the mark near my eye. "How is it?"

"It hurts." I shrugged. "Though right now, I'd rather just get some food." He nodded in agreement. After going through the line and grabbing our lunch (I had a calzone and fries, while he had a chicken sandwich and fries) we went to find our friends. Normally we sat outside but it was raining today. We found them at a table towards the back of the cafeteria. Amber and Cole had already seen my head. Korey had sixth period with Ryan and I, so he hadn’t seen it yet.

“Damn. They said it was bad but I wasn’t expecting that.” Korey said staring at my head. “You my dear have two left feet.” Ryan threw a fry at him.

“Don’t I know it.” I laughed it off. None of them knew what was really going on. Sure they thought it was weird I never invited them over. Amber would complain every once in awhile that we never had sleepovers at my house. I had to keep it that way. I sat next to Ryan as Cole groaned.

“Stalker alert.” I looked over and watched as Kayleigh made her way over to us. She was obsessed with Ryan. He didn’t like her. No one did. She would show up at his house randomly, we were all pretty sure she followed him home from school one day in order to find out where he lived. She’s convinced he’s madly in love with her and that I am keeping them apart.

“Hey Ryan.” She batted her eyelashes at him. I suppressed the urge to gag.

“Hi Kayleigh.” He smiled politely. I never understood why he wouldn’t just flat out tell her to stay away from him. He was too nice sometimes.

“So I was wondering if you had a date for prom yet?” She twirled her hair around her finger and bit her lower lip trying to act all cute. I saw his mouth twitch ever so lightly and held in the laughter that was about to bubble out.

“Well actually,” He put his arm around me and pulled me close to him. He smelled really good. “I do.” I looked at him wide eyed. He smiled at me and kissed the side of my head carefully avoiding the sore spot. Our friends smiled big. I recently found out they had a pool on how long it would take for Ryan and I to start dating. Ryan didn’t know of course, and this didn’t count. He was just using me to get out of this.

“Oh.” She narrowed her eyes at me and left.

“So how about it?” Ryan asked keeping his arm around me.

“How about what?” I had no intention of going to prom. I didn’t have the money, and I sure as hell wasn’t going to ask my parents for it. He grabbed my chin and gently turned my face towards him.

“Will you, Tallie Stevens, go to prom with me?” My stomach flipped and I tried my best to keep a straight face and not smile like a buffoon. I could figure something out.

“I guess if I have to.” I shrugged and tried to look depressed. He smiled and let go of my chin keeping his face near mine.

“Oh you do.”