Retarded In Love

Chapter 32

On the way there, I explained everything. How Dico wasn't my boyfriend and was basically taking advantage of my situation. How I was extremely drunk, and I slipped up. How David had left me and Dico decided to jump in. I don't know why I cared so much they knew the truth. I guess I didn't want them to get the wrong idea about me. I had just met these men two days ago, and I didn't want them to have this bad first impression burned into their mind.

When we got to the river, there was a large wooden addition to the ramp that had been there yesterday. It was a small ramp with a loop, leading into the large ramp into the river. Looking around, I saw people slowly scurrying about, in no hurry. They were sitting up cameras, coolers, chairs, random whatnots. Jeff did say we were going to be there all day. I climbed out of the van and walked over to where the group of people were standing. I almost had a heart attack when I realized they were standing around Tony Hawk and Matt Hoffman. Before I had a chance to greet anyone, I heard Jeff call my name. I saw him standing at the top of the ramp before the loop. I made my way over to him quickly.

"How are you this morning?" He asked, smiling.

"Good... You?" I replied with a smile.

"Good. I just overheard your conversation in the van, and wanted to make sure you were alright."

I nodded.

"Ok," he said, "Are you ready to shoot?"

"Now?"

"No, not now. After we get a few shots of Tony and Matt. You're going to attempt this loop, if you're up for it."

I looked out at the large wooden figure. "Yeah, sure. I'm down."

He smiled at me and started down the ramp. "Good. I'll call you when I'm ready."

I turned around and smiled wide when I heard footsteps coming up the ramp and turned to see Tony Hawk standing beside me. He smiled at me and looked out at the loop.

"Looks fun, huh?" He laughed.

I smiled. "Yeah, I'm stoked."

"You skate?"

"A little."

"Awesome," he extended his hand, "I'm Tony."

I took his hand and shook it firmly. "Ellie."

"It's nice to meet you, Ellie."

I smiled and walked down the ramp, because I could see Jeff and Matt looking up at us like he was waiting for me to come down so they could start shooting.

+ + +

For about an hour, we sat around and watched Tony and Matt attempt the loop. Not one of them had done it, yet. I heard Jeff call my name, and then someone tapped me on the shoulder. I turned around, and Bam handed me my skateboard.

"Dico brought it." He smiled, and I made my way to the top of the platform. Tony and Matt were breathing hard and I could tell they were hurting. Matt gave me a questioning look, and I stared out at the looming figure. I saw a helmet and elbow pads sitting on the platform and I put them on as Matt tried again, falling into the cushion the crew pushed out. There was no doubt in my mind I was going to get wrecked.

"When you reach vert, you're going to want to turn around. Just ride it." Tony breathed with a weak smile.

I nodded and waited for the ok, then pushed off down the ramp. Everything went ok, I picked up speed, bent my knees as I approached the loop, got upside down, and fell. My head hit hard against the bottom, but I had twisted my body so I didn't land directly on my head. I could hear the 'ohh' of the crowd, and almost immediately, Bam was at my side with a cameraman close behind.

"Ellie, shit. Are you ok?"

His words sounded slurred and my vision was blurry. I stared at him, unable to speak.

"Ellie! Are you ok?"

His words finally registered and I nodded, hopped up, and jogged up the ramp once again. Matt was there now. He smiled at me, and nodded his head. All I could do was laugh.

+ + +

My turn came up again, and I took a deep breath, then pushed off harder than before. Once again, the start was good, I bent my knees and tried to push my body against gravity but failed. I got a little farther than last time, but once again fell. This time, on my shoulder. I got up quick, and walked off the loop. Jeff handed me a bottle of water which I drank most of quickly.

"Do you want to keep going?" He asked me, sympathetically.

I nodded. "I'm going to get this thing, Jeff."

He smiled. "Awesome. Hey, Bam. Want to stop being a bitch and pad up?"

I skipped out my turn this round, and Tony and Matt both made it. Everyone cheered loud, and they returned to the platform to give me advice. After three more falls, I was really feeling it. My shoulder had started to form into one huge bruise, but I was bound and determined to get it. Soon, Bam joined me on the platform. Tony gave him the same advice he had given me, and Bam pushed off. He got to about where I had the first time, and fell.

We alternated turns about two more times, and then it was my turn. I took a deep breath and stared out at the river beyond the figure. My hands were shaking and my breathing was shallow and heavy. I took one more deep breath and pushed off as hard as I could. Down the ramp... approach the loop, bend my knees, fight as much as I could, straighten my legs: upside down, bend my knees, push my body, push and fight, but don't think. The next thing I knew, the sunlight hit my face and I was riding away. The crowd erupted in a loud cheer, and I jumped off my board, popped it up into my hand, walked off the platform and collapsed onto the ground. Breathing deep, I was sore, bruised, cut, battered, but ultimately accomplished and happy.

I closed my eyes and continued to lay there, ignoring the commotion going on around me. I felt a shadow grow over my face, and then Jeff's voice, "Way to go, Ellie. You really proved yourself worthy today."

I smiled, but wasn't able to speak just yet.
♠ ♠ ♠
Read.
Comment.
Subscribe.
Feedback?
Please and Thank You!