Status: Barely active, but still alive

Complications Between Mythical Creatures

Pills and Potions

“Do you have any idea just how ridiculous you sound?” I tried to dismiss it. I brought the cup back up to my lips and took a long drink. Jake’s eyes narrowed, “Of course I know how crazy I sound.” I held the cup in my hands, focused on rubbing out a smudge on the outside. My heart was pounding. My hand were shaking. I tried to nonchalantly hide my shaking by resting the cup in my lap.

“But I know what I saw,” he said firmly. Now he wasn’t trying to avoid my eyes. His eyes were locked dead on mine. There’s no way he could’ve seen my premonition. It’s just not possible. I kept telling myself, but the look in his eyes told me otherwise.

“Scarlet.”

No. I have to change the subject. I have to somehow dismiss this. There’s no proof that he’s seen my premonition. I can still brush it off as a daydream. “Jake, I-”

Suddenly, there was a loud bang as the door to Jake’s bedroom was thrown open. “Oh my GOD!” Abby burst through the threshold. My entire torso screamed with pain as I was suddenly engulfed in my best friend’s arms, “Abby!” I squealed.

“Be careful!” Jake was instantly at my side as Abby released me, looking at him ready to yell. “Who do you think you are?! I-” she started, but was cut off as I grabbed her hand and began to squeeze. I was on the brink of tears. I couldn’t speak. I couldn’t think. The pain running throughout my body was all that there was. “Scar?” she dropped down to my side, “Scarlet, what’s wrong?”

“You squeezed her,” Jake pulling up pillows behind me.

“Excuse me?” Abby skewered Jake with her eyes.

“Abby…” I groaned as I held on to Jake as he gingerly leaned me against the pillows on his bed. Once I was leaning back, he looked down at me worried. “You okay?” the fear in his eyes tugged at my heart. “Yeah,” I gave him a weak smile, and his touch was gone. “I’ll get you some more water,” I watched as he practically ran out.

“Okay…..?” Abby looked from the doorway to me, “What’s his deal?” she hooked a thumb over her shoulder.

“What do you mean?” I asked readjusting myself.

“He seems kind of…”

“Wait.” I raised my hand to cut her off.

“What?”

“How did you know I was here?”

“Oh,” Abby smiled sheepishly. “Embry called me.”

“Embry?” I asked stunned, “When did you give him your number?”

“When we ran into them at Port Angeles..”

“Huh?” I gawked at her, “Why didn’t you tell me?!”

“Well, you seemed busy with..” Abby trailed off as Jake reentered the room with a full glass of water and handed it to me.

I took the glass from him and he took his place back at his dresser. Once again he didn’t make eye contact. Obviously more interested in what was on his dresser.

Abby watched us, “So anyway…. Scarlet, what happened?”

I looked at my best friend, guilty. Not entirely sure what I should tell her. “I found her in the woods,” Jake was looking directly at me now. And now there was something in his eyes, but I wasn’t sure exactly what was there. It looked like he was trying to figure something out, kind of like a puzzle. But not a difficult puzzle. One that he was pretty sure how to solve, but wanted someone to tell him that what he was thinking was right.

“In the woods?” Abby looked from Jake to me.

“Yeah,” I nodded, not looking away from Jake. “I went for a run.”

“She must’ve slipped or something because I found her at the bottom of a drop. It looked like she fell.” Abby was instantly on me now.

“Oh my God, Scarlet! Are you alright?” she was trying to examine me without touching me.

“I’m fine,” I said trying to fend off her hovering hands. “What I need to know is how is my mom.”

“She’s fine,” a stern voice came from the doorway. We all looked up and there was my mother. She wasn’t looking at anyone but me, and I couldn’t help but want to cower away. Her arm was wrapped in gauze and she looked a whole lot better, but I could tell that she still wasn’t at 100% yet.

“Mom..” I didn’t know what to say. I wanted to tell her everything. The run. The fall. The wolves. Jake. And especially the premonition I just had.

“Scarlet, why didn’t you tell me you were going for a run? You know that it’s not safe for you to be out alone like that.” She sat on the bed beside me, taking my face in her hands.

“I’m sorry. You weren’t feeling well and I just figured…”

“You figured you’d go and get yourself broken in half,” Lacie teased as she entered the room with a medical bag similar to Dr Carlisle’s but hers seemed much older and beaten up.

“Hi Lacie,” I smiled at her, “What are you doing here?”

“Well, Abby called your mother and she in turn called me,” she plopped her bag on the floor beside my feet. “Now, what have you done to yourself, my dear?” Slowly sat beside me and began examining all my cut and scrapes.

“She has a few broken bones, a severe concussion, a broken ankle, and a couple other things,” Jake chimed in, hand deep in his pockets.

“I see. And are you the doctor here?” Lacie asked with a teasing tone, her hands gingerly turning my head from side to side.

“No, but I called a doctor to come check her out.”

“You did?” my mother asked over her shoulder taking in the bandages. She had stepped back to let Lacie look at me, her arms folded across her chest and concern clearly painted on her features.

“Yes, he gave me pain meds for her and wrapped her up.” Jake took the bottle from out of his pocket and handed it to my mother.

“I take it, you’re the one that found her then?” she asked looking at the prescription then handing it over to Lacie. Jake nodded in response. “Well, thank you,” my mother turned and nodded to Jake, grateful.

“It was no problem."

“Why don’t you two give the women a moment?” Billy suggested from the doorway.

Jake and Embry, who I hadn’t realized was standing by Abby, left the room. “Thank you, Billy.” My mom gave him a warm smile. "Just shout if you need anything," Billy smiled at my mom then wheeled himself down the hallway.

Once we knew that they were out of ear shot, my mother turned to Lacie and asked, “How is she?” Lacie hovered her hands over my body. A warm sensation began to work it's way through my skin where her hands shadowed.

Lacie purse her lips and looked at me sternly, “She’s not in good shape. Scarlet, you’re pretty banged up.” Even though I already I knew that this was the case, it still made my stomach sink hearing it out loud. I need to get out of here.

“Is there anything you can do to heal her?” Abby whispered, peering over her shoulder at the door.

Lacie looked up at my best friend, trying to reassure her with a smile, "I can heal the cuts and scratches, but Scarlet you'll have to keep the bandages on for a couple of days," she looked at me. I nodded slowly, the motion began to make the room sway. The last thing I need to do it raise anymore flags with Jake. "But I'm afraid I can't do much with the concussion or broken bones. Those are all internal. My powers only work on open wounds.”

"That's fine. Could you please heal her cuts and we'll get her home," my mother began to stand. "Actually, Whitney, I don't think we should move her." Lacie pursed her lips.

"What do you mean?" Abby asked, confused. She looked down at me, exchanging a confused look with me.

"Scarlet's injuries are too great. Moving her in this condition could cause more harm than good."

"So what are we supposed to do? Leave her here?" my mother asked; Lacie stayed quiet. My mother's eyes grew wide, "No, absolutely not. She is coming home!" she nearly shouted.

"Whitney, be reasonable. You're in no condition to care for her either. I can give her a few herbs to help with the healing," she patted my knee then smiled at me, I was too stunned at what Lacie had just told my mom to return the expression. "Oh, which reminds me; you need to rub some of this on your arm." she turned and pulled out a small vial and handed it to my mother. She just glared at Lacie in return. Watching her, it almost looked like she was pouting at Lacie. There was no way that my mother was going to let me stay at a stranger's house, especially one who has a teenage boy.

"Lacie, that is out of the question!" she shook her head.

"Oh come now, Whitney. It's not like she'd be unprotected." she rolled her eyes at my mother's frustration. The fact that Lacie was so matter of fact about this just made me speechless. How am I unprotected? Well, even in this state I can still use my powers.

“Billy,” Lacie called over her shoulder as she began pulling herbs out of her bag. I could hear his wheelchair as he wheeled himself down the hallway towards us.

“It seems as though Scarlet isn't able to move just yet. Would it be alright if she stayed here for a couple of days?” Billy glanced up at my mom, her arms folded across her chest, and smiled at her.

“Of course,” he sat back in his wheelchair, “We can take good care of her.”

“No, it's okay, Billy. I don't want to be any trouble.” my mom forced a smile and folder her hands in front of her. “We can get her home and I can take care of her.”

"I don't think you'd do too well with your arm like that," Billy nodded at my mother's bandaged arm, a teasing look in his eyes.

“He's right, Whitney. You need to care for yourself. Billy can care for Scarlet. He has Jake, Embry, and of course, Abby.” Lacie smiled at my best friend. She smiled back, but was just as confused and stunned by their conversation as I was.

“Whitney. It will be okay. I promise we’ll look over her,” Billy’s eyes got empathetic. He and my mom locked eyes and grew quiet. After a pause my mom sighed, “Fine.”

My jaw dropped.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you everyone for your support! I am so very sorry for such late updates, but I am back! I had decided to rewrite this chapter, so if you think you've already read this chapter you probably sort of did. Let me know what you think!

Please comment, subscribe, and rate!