Sequel: The Other Woman
Status: Completed

Black Sheep

Chapter 15

“I know exactly what you mean; I thought the exact same thing when I first met William.” Kate and I laughed as Harry and Will looked at us in amusement.
“I was so worried about today. I was asking so many questions in the car.”
“You’ve actually handled this really well. I’m proud of you.” Harry kissed the top of my head. The patio doors opened and Charles and Camilla returned from the garden.
“It’s been wonderful meeting you today Rebecca but one must attend to some business. You’re welcome here anytime and if you ever need to speak to me about anything, you know where I am.” Charles kissed both my cheeks and stepped back to let Camilla say goodbye.
“We haven’t had much of a chance to talk today, but we must have tea sometime.” Camilla said as she gently hugged me.
“Of course, we’ll have to organise something. And thank you for inviting me.”
“It wasn’t our idea; Harry wanted to show you off to us.” Camilla laughed slightly. We said our goodbyes leaving Harry, Will, Kate and I in the garden room.
“I really should tell you some embarrassing stories being the older brother.” William said.
“I have too many embarrassing stories to tell.”
“You can say that again. There was this time when we lived here, just before the three of us moved to Kensington. Father said he had to move some plants inside to stop the winter getting to them, but he meant the greenhouse. Harry thought the house would be full of plants; he said-”
“You better not put any of those plants in my room; it’ll be like the day of the bloody triffids!” Harry finished the story to a chorus of laughter.
“That’s not even that bad.”
“I didn’t want to scare her off.” William joked to his brother.
“She’s seen me drunk already, if anything will scare her off it’ll be my drunken singing. One night I went out with the lads from the polo club and called her at half 5 in the morning, asking her to pick me up.” He looked straight into my eyes, remembering the story. “She drove to the club, came in, found me, took me outside, and got me in the car.”
“That’s devotion right there.” Will sarcastically smiled at me.
“While I was sat in her car I decided it would be the best time to declare my love for her. Which I did, through the medium of song.”
“He said; ‘nobody knows love, better than Take That’ and started singing to me.”
“I’m glad we’re keeping the stories tame. I don’t think I could cope with the really embarrassing ones.” Kate said.
“We really must be getting home, but it’s been great meeting you.” Kate said.
“Yes, we should meet again while Harry’s away. I can tell you all those embarrassing stories.” Harry’s face turned white.
“Of course, we should make a night of it.”
“I’ll get Harry to give you my number so you can text me.” Kate said.
“That would be fantastic thanks.” I smiled and we all said our goodbyes. We both headed to Harry’s car.
We set off out of the drive and onto the main road. Harry had hardly said a word.
“I really enjoyed today. It was a lot less scary than I thought.” Harry nodded his head. “What did Will mean ‘while you’re away’?”
“Can we talk about this when we get to yours?” I nodded silently, watching the city lights go past.
*****
I opened the flat and kicked off my shoes. Harry stood at the door, looking down. I turned around, to face him and slowly walked over to him. I wrapped my arms around his waist and nuzzled my nose into his neck.
“I didn’t want to tell you this soon.”
“Tell me what?”
“I might be going away for four months.” My breathing hitched but I stayed still.
“Where to?”
“Afghanistan. I’ve been cleared for a second tour.” I held him tighter as if he were leaving there and then. “You can’t tell a soul. Last time someone posted it all over the internet and I had to come back home. I haven’t heard back from the MOD or the press team yet but I think they’re just going to say I’m there and hope for the best.”
“When do you go?” my voice didn’t even sound like my own; it was too quiet and timid to be my own.
“Next week.” We both stood there, holding each other. “I would’ve told you before, but-”
“It doesn’t matter. I know now.”
“You’re not pissed off at me?”
“Yeah I’m livid but right now I just don’t want you to go.”
“I have to, it’s my job.” I nodded, understanding exactly what he meant. We both stood there for what seemed like ages.
“It’s what I’ve wanted to do since I was little.”
“I understand.” I said quietly. It was as if I had no voice.
“Do you though? Do you understand what I’m saying?” Harry raised his voice
“Of course I am Harry. What’re you on about?”
“I could die out there Bex. I could die.” I just nodded. “After I leave I might not come back.” He placed his head in the crook of my neck and started quietly sobbing.
“I know.” I buried my face in his fiery hair, trying not to cry myself.
“I love you.”
“I love you more.”
“Not possible.” He pulled away from my neck and pressed his lips to mine. The kiss wasn’t harsh. It was as if we were savouring every moment.
♠ ♠ ♠
A lot of emotion in that one; I'm sorry :(