Private Universe

No Man Is an Island

I sat on the plane, waiting for them to let us out. We had landed back in Baltimore and all I wanted to do was get off. I did not like flying. I could hear Alex laughing next to me but I ignored it. I was not in the mood. All I wanted to do was get off and get home. I missed Rian and the apartment and my bed. We'd gone to see Harold two days before and I was sad to learn that he had gone on vacation. I wanted him to meet Alex.

"Zooey! It's snowing!"

My head whipped around to the window. "Oh my god."

Alex grinned at me. "Don't tell me you haven't seen snow before."

"I have. I lived in Colorado." I said rolling my eyes.

"Right. Then what's the problem?"

I glanced at what I was wearing. Jeans and a light weight long sleeve shirt. "I'm going to freeze."

He started laughing. "Right. Well, I have a sweatshirt in my bag."

"Alex, how is that going to help me right now?"

"Umm. I don't know."

"Exactly."

"Excuse me?" The woman in front of us was staring at us intently. Please don't be a fan. I thought. I wasn't in the mood.

"Yeah?" Alex said.

"Are you guys married?" She asked. That was new. I tired to hide my smile as I remembered hearing Alex wanting to marry me.

Alex nodded and I choked on my own spit. "Yes. We're happily married. And expecting." His hand found my stomach and rubbed it soothingly.

"Oh. You two are cute." She said.

"Thanks. Later, when we get home I'm probably going to make sweet love to her." He said. I snorted and laughed so hard I couldn't hide it. The woman gave us a disgusted look and turned around.

"Really?" I whispered, still laughing.

"Why not?" He laced our fingers and kissed my head.

We waited in silence and we could hear the woman in front of us whispering to her friend about us. We would give each other looks as she said something funny and then burst into laughter. She would look back at us and give us dirty looks and it only made us laugh harder. When we were finally allowed off, Alex never let go of my hand as we made our way to baggage claim. I could feel myself shaking from the cold and Alex pulled me in for a hug, rubbing my arms trying to warm me up.

"Thanks." I said into his chest.

"Anytime." He squeezed me close. "I can't believe you're not coming on tour with us."

"I know."

"Explain to me why you aren't again?"

I let go and looked up at his face. "I like where we are. It's absolutely perfect. I don't want to screw that up by spending too much time together on a hot smelly bus."

"I would gladly sleep on the lounge couch."

I laughed. "I wouldn't be able to resist you. We need space. Not like not talking. But we both have to be away from each other at some point."

"You make it sound like we're breaking up."

I felt my eyes widen. "We're not. I just don't want to screw this up. I haven't had a decent relationship and I feel that if we spend too much time together I'm going to hate you."

He mocked being offended. "Hate me? How could you?"

I smiled. "You are making this explanation complicated."

"Good. Maybe you'll talk yourself in circles and eventually join us." He grinned.

I rolled my eyes. "You can call me every night. Or day. Or whatever. But I'm not changing my mind. I'm gonna stay here and get to know the city. Maybe get a job or something."

He groaned. "I'm going to miss you."

"I'll miss you too. But this way we keep things fresh. And if you fly home I promise to be at the airport to jump into your arms when you get off the plane." I grinned.

"Swear?"

"Cross my heart."

"Hmm. And if we drive?"

"I'll be naked in bed waiting for you."

"Promise?" He grinned.

"Promise."

"Fine. I like these possible outcomes." He kissed my nose.

He picked his suitcase off the carousel and set it in front of me. Then he got mine and he took me off to the side where he dropped the suitcase on the ground and unzipped. He dug through it for a bit while we both got stares from strangers. He pulled out one of his hoodies and gave it to me. I slipped it on and grinned when he picked the suitcase up again.

"Better?"

"Much. Thank you." I leaned up and kissed him lightly.

"Anytime."

We drove home in silence but he never let go of my hand. The cab driver was weird and I felt very uncomfortable. We both kept giving each other looks and then giggling. The cab driver would look in the mirror at us and we stopped. I felt bad because we were being kind of rude the driver, but he was creepy.

When we got home I unpacked my suitcase and Alex made dinner. I had no idea where Rian was but I hoped he got home soon. I kind of missed him. I could smell Mexican food cooking as I finished unpacking and headed down stairs. I turned on the television and got comfortable. Alex brought food a little after and I smiled at him. We ate in silence and when he was done he wrapped his arm around my shoulder and kissed the side if my head.

"You're quiet, tonight. You okay?"

I looked into his dark brown eyes and sighed. I had to get it over with. "Can I ask you to do me a favor?"

"Anything."

"While you're on tour, could you...ahh. Shit. I don't know how to ask this."

"What are you worried about?"

I felt the familiar sting of tears but pushed them back. I did not want to start crying. "I trust you, okay? I really do. You're the only person to meet my mom and really get to know who I am. I don't think I've ever trusted anyone more. I just..."

"Worried I might cheat?" He smiled.

"Is that bad?"

"No. It's understandable. Is it wrong that I feel the same way? Since you'll have the apartment to yourself, be able to have all the guys over." He laughed.

"I swear I won't. I don't know anyone."

"And I'm going to know people on tour?"

"You're going to know more people than I will!"

He rolled his eyes. "I guess. But I promise to stay true to you as long as you do the same."

"I promise."

"Good." He kissed me lightly and pulled me close.

"When is Rian getting home? I've only got like two more days with you guys before you leave."

"He should be home soon. I think he's bringing Cassadee too. I miss that girl. And you can meet her."

"Sweet. Is she staying in the apartment too?"

"I don't know. I doubt it. We can always ask."

"Okay."

I snuggled closer to him and he pulled the blanket from behind the couch around the both of us. He didn't complain about Dirty Dancing as much as I thought he was going to. I hadn't seen the movie in ages and it just felt perfect.

--

"Zooey, wake up. Rian's home." I felt Alex tuck hair behind my ear and I smiled.

"Can I talk to him tomorrow?" I whispered.

He laughed. "Come on. He's got Cassadee."

I groaned as Alex helped me get untangled from the blanket and on my feet. I could hear voices in the kitchen and I stopped. Alex looked at me and I ran my fingers through my hair trying to make sure it looked perfect. I ran my fingers under my eyes to make sure I didn't have eyeliner down to my chin.

"How do I look?" I asked.

"Perfect." He laced our fingers and kissed my nose. "Cass, this is Zooey."

The girl at the counter turned around and smiled at me. She had crazy white teeth and freckles spread across her nose. Her hair was long and dark with a red-ish purple streak underneath. She had on skinny jeans and a t-shirt with a Grey vest over it. I felt frumpy in Alex's hoodie and jeans.

"Nice to meet you! Rian's told me a lot about you." She said.

"I hope nothing bad."

"Not at all. He told me about how you tackled Alex. And didn't take shit from the tech people. And how you can eat a lot."

I could feel my face getting red. "Oh. Cool. Neither one has told me much about you. Sorry."

She laughed. "Don't apologize. I've been around these idiots forever. I don't expect them to talk about me much anymore. You're brand new." She grinned. She had too much energy for the middle of the night.

"Right. I'm sorry I'm not more enthusiastic. I was traveling today. And I was just woken up." I gave her a slight smile.

"No worries. I told Alex not to wake you. I'm staying the night. We can talk and get to know each other in the morning."

"Sounds like a plan." I smiled and before I knew what was happening she pulled me into a hug.

"Let her go, Cass. She looked like she's ready to fall over." Rian said.

"Oh. Right." She grinned at me as she let go.

I waved as I pulled Alex to bed. "What do you think about her?" He whispered as he shut our door.

"She seems great." I said yawning.

He laughed. "You can be honest."

"I'm just tired. And she has too much energy right now. It's like the middle of the night."

"I know. They just got in. They've been up for hours."

"Mm."

"I'll be back in a little bit. I have to go tell Rian something before I forget."

"Okay." I said sleepily, crawling under the covers. I heard him laugh as he shut the door before I drifted back to sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know I suck big time. Shit got crazy this week. I started on college stuff and then a birthday party came up.
And the worst possible thing happened yesterday. It feels like my world has ended. For the second time this year. The Academy Is... officially broke up. It's been a shitty week. I might update again if I get a nice idea going.
Anyway. I don't know what to give everyone for our TEN STARS. I am very excited about that. I will figure something out.
And there will be drama soon. I promise. I've got ideas. I know it's moving slowly. With all the work I've been up to this week I'm losing my 'broccoli' or the little voice in my head that tells me what to write. I'm working on it.
Just know that I love every single one of you for your support. <3
So read, comment, subscribe and give me love as always. [:
Title credit goes to Jack's Mannequin again. New album is the best yet. Everyone go pick it up. Now. [: This song is really beautiful too.