‹ Prequel: Bittersweet Sundown
Sequel: Dear Diary!

Fool With Dreams

And I Just Wish That I Didn't Feel Like There Was Something I Missed

“Ash! There you are. Sorry I’m late,” Zack ran to her, giving Ash a quick hug.

“Easy with me, my ribs still hurt, you know,” she smiled back, pulling away slightly.

“Oh, I’m sorry. Let me help you sit down,” he supported Ash’s elbow, making sure she didn’t hurt herself even more.

“Come on, Z, I’m not that helpless,” Ash laughed but didn’t fight back. It felt good, somebody taking care of her. “So, what’s up? Everything okay?”

“Yeah, I just wanted to ask some advice,” Zack sat down at the opposite side of the table.

“About what?” she asked, after giving her order of a Coke and a chicken salad to the waitress.

“Well, I don’t know how to talk about these things,” Zack rubbed his neck in embarrassment.

“Just shoot,” Ash said, turning her eyes away from the pair, kissing lovingly a few tables away. She had given up on believing of having any chance with Brian. He couldn’t accept her for who she was and it was okay. Life’s like that, everything can’t work out. But seeing everyone else happy still stung. She turned her gaze down, trying to hide the sadness from Zack. It was enough that Val and Matt were worried about her emotional state.

“I want to propose to Maggie but I don’t know how to do this. She’s a big fan of romance and I want to make it special to her. I’m just afraid I’ll blow it,” Zack fidgeted nervously on his seat, obviously uncomfortable with the subject.

“And you want me to help?” Ash was a bit shocked. Sure she and Zack had been friends before, but now they hadn’t talked much.

“You don’t have to if you don’t want to. I’m sorry, I’m just freaking out here,” Zack muttered quickly, misunderstanding the look on Ash’s face, thinking that she felt uncomfortable because of her situation with Brian.

“Zack, I’m okay with it. I’ll help you,” Ash smiled at his nervousness. “But I need to ask one thing first.”

Zack nodded, agreeing to at least listen to her question.

“Are you totally, a 100% sure you wanna do this?” Ash asked, thinking about her own parents.

“Yeah, I’ve been thinking about it for months now. I can’t imagine my life without her,” Zack smiled happily, a slightly dreamy look in his eyes.

“Well, since I don’t know her that much, it’s gonna be hard to make it perfect,” Ash frowned. “Tell me, what she likes.”

“All that romantic mumbo jumbo,” Zack shrugged his shoulders, not knowing what else to say.

“Hmh, in that case, I think the classic way would be the best,” she was staring her beverage glass, deep in thought. She was trying to remember all kinds of movies, to come up with an idea that would be classic but still something you would happily tell your grandchildren about.

“So, should I get down on my knee before the speech or just before the question?” Zack asked half an hour later. After brainstorming for about twenty minutes, they had come up with a perfect plan.

“Definitely before the speech. Cause at some point she will realize anyway where you’re heading. At least I would prefer this option. And don’t forget to look her in the eyes.”

“You mean like that?” Zack asked, before standing up and kneeling in front of Ash. He looked deep into her eyes and tried to show out all the feelings he felt for Maggie.

“Exactly like that,” Ash smiled warmly while Zack took her hand between his.

“Will you do me the honor of marrying me?” he asked, keeping his eyes on hers.

“Yes Zack, I would love to be yours forever,” Ash sighed back happily, going along with their game.

Sudden flashing snapped them out of the moment and they looked at the paparazzi with a huge camera, going wild with snapping pictures of them.

“Shit,” was all that came over Ash’s lips. She didn’t like what was going on, she didn’t want to end up in some cheap yellow magazine.

At the next moment, the paparazzi was gone.

“That’s bad. Fuck,” Zack muttered, all the playfulness gone from his voice.

“That changes our plans a bit. You have to go tonight. And you have to make sure she wont read any magazine until you propose. And after you propose, tell her everything, so she wont freak out when she hears about this,” Ash stood up, ready to leave.

“But what if I can’t get the plane tickets? Or the cottage reservation?” Zack was starting to freak out, following Ash out of the cafe.

“Is she at home now?” Ash asked, a plan forming already in her head.

“No, she’s at her parents. Why?”

“When is she coming home?” she continued her questioning.

“I don’t know, at eight maybe,” Zack was puzzled.

“Perfect. To your place then,” Ash winked, waiting til Zack opened the doors to his car.

While they were driving, she called to Belle, with whom she attended the same school. Belle was now working as a Station Agent at Delta Airlines. Thanks to her, Ash managed to get plane tickets to Haiti for Zack and Maggie. They had planned going to Hawaii but Belle couldn’t get any tickets of that destination for the same night. So they changed plans.

“Okay, your flight leaves at 9.30pm, with a stop at New York,” Ash informed Zack right after she ended the phone call. Belle had given her a few numbers for a private accommodations and she didn’t waste any time on calling them. She couldn’t just send her friends to a foreign country without having a place to stay.

Once she had that figured out, they were already at Zack’s. She was standing in the middle of his living room and he Zack was walking around nervously.

“Hey, Z, calm down. I got you a very private cottage right at the beach. Someone from the rentals will come pick you up at the airport. Everything is planned out. Now, show me where Maggie’s stuff is, I need to pack something for her while you pack yours, and then you have to go get her and take her straight to the airport. Otherwise you wont make it on time,” Ash instructed, pushing him out of the room.

It took them about fifteen minutes, to get both bags packed. Ash made sure she thought of everything Maggie could possibly need on a tropical island, she packed several pairs of bikinis, a lot of tops and skirts and short dresses. In case there would be some rainy day, she even added a pair of jeans and a sweater. And lots of sunscreen and other cosmetics and hygiene products, not forgetting tampons and of course, condoms, a lot of condoms.

“Sure it’s gonna be enough?” Zack laughed, seeing the pile of condoms Ash had gathered on the bed, next to his luggage.

“Well, you can always buy some more at the airport,” Ash laughed back.

“You think we’re some rabbits or what?” Zack shook his head while stuffing those small packets into his bag.

“Yeas, my dear Mr. Bunny. Now move it, you don’t have much time left and you still have to pick up Maggie,” she hurried him on. Zack took both bags and followed Ash down the stairs.

Ash watched how he tossed the bags into his car and then turned to face her.

“You have all required documents with you?” she asked.

Zack reached a hand to his pocket and checked over, before nodding his head.

“Come on, lets go!” he beckoned with his hand when Ash was just standing at his front steps.

“No, go ahead, you’re in a hurry. I’ll call Dani to pick me up,” she shook her head a bit, not wanting cause anymore time to him.

“Don’t be silly, your house is practically on my way anyway. And even if it wasn’t, I’d still take you home. I owe it to you. I actually owe much more to you. So get in, missy,” Zack said firmly, not leaving her any chance to disobey.

“Fine. Gosh, you’re demanding,” Ash laughed while getting in and pulling the seat belt on.

“That’s me,” Zack smiled and sped off down the street.

“So, make sure she won’t be reading anything for the next couple of days,” Ash reminded him once again. They were soon reaching her house and she didn't wanna keep him there any longer than necessary.

“I’ll try,” Zack said, stopping at a traffic lights. “Shit! I don’t have a ring. Where will I get a ring?” he was starting to panic again.

“Hey, cool it, man. I’m starting to think you’re not ready for this,” Ash looked at him, calculating his behavior.

“I just want everything to be perfect. I need a ring,” Zack took off the second the lights turned to green.

“Take this,” Ash pulled one of her silver rings off her finger. “It’s not much, but it’s a ring. And that way you can take Maggie with you and she can choose exactly that kind of ring she likes.”

“Are you sure?” Zack took the ring, inspecting it for a moment. It had a green emeralds and brilliant diamonds going all the way around the ring. It was simple but still beautiful.

“Yeah, I’m sure. I wouldn’t want to get a ring I don’t like cause I couldn’t never tell the man I love that,” Ash smiled. “This way, she doesn’t have to be in that situation.”

“It’s a beautiful ring, what if she likes it?” Zack parked in front of her drive way.

“Then she can have it and we come up with some agreement later. Now go get your love and have a very pleasant vacation,” Ash kissed him on the cheek and carefully got out of the car.

“Thanks Ash, for everything. I owe you so much,” Zack called through the open window.

“Don’t worry Zack, I’m glad to help you out. Now go,” Ash smiled again and waved when he pulled off.

She was truly happy about them. But now, back at home with nothing to keep her mind busy and being all alone, she felt that familiar sadness taking over again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry girls, no Brian yet. But he will be back soon, I promise ;)

And as always, huge thanks for the comments, I really love them. At least I know some of you are still reading and waiting for a new chapter :)

Title Credit: Linkin Park - My December