One of the Boys

Paparazzi, Part 1

“I'm your biggest fan
I'll follow you until you love me
Papa-paparazzi
Baby there's no other superstar
You know that I'll be your
Papa-paparazzi
Promise I'll be kind
But I won't stop until that boy is mine
Baby you'll be famous
Chase you down until you love me
Papa-paparazzi.”


Paparazzi by Lady Gaga


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


“Um, Alex, would you like me to drive?” Tony asked, interrupting my thoughts. “You’ve been sitting there for five minutes, just staring off into space.”

I’ve been sitting here for five minutes just thinking? I obviously wasn’t in any shape to try and drive us home. I nodded and opened my door. Tony scooted over to the driver’s seat while I walked over to the passenger’s seat and got in. Tony put the car into drive and we started home.

The silence with Tony wasn’t thick like it was with Nick or Joe, it was comfortable, and it gave me some time to think about the situation I was in.

I was all mixed up and confused inside, trying to look like I had it all together on the outside.

“Do you mind if I turn the radio on?” Tony asked. I didn’t nod, I didn’t shake my head. I didn’t move. I couldn’t handle another love song. I didn’t want a repeat of what happened a few minutes ago.

“I’ll turn it if a love song comes up,” he promised. I sat silently for a minute. Finally I turned my head and nodded.

Tony pressed the button and Celine Dion’s voice filled the car.

“Near, far, wherever you are I believe that the heart does go on Once more you open the door And you're here in my heart And my heart will go on and on.”

You have got to be kidding me. Another love song? I’m seriously thinking about ripping my stereo right out of my car. Tony’s hand shot to the button and changed the station.

A slow piano tune came on. The tune sounded familiar, but I couldn’t remember where I’d heard it from. For a minute the piano continued, and I began to think that maybe we had changed the station to classical music, when suddenly a woman began to sing.

I immediately recognized the voice as Celine Dion. No wonder it had seemed familiar, my mom played Celine Dion all the time when I was little. I remembered the title of the song. It’s All Coming Back To Me Now.

Tony reached to change the station, but I grabbed his arm, stopping him.

“Don’t, I wanna listen to it,” I said. Tony gave me an odd look, since I’d just told him I couldn’t bear to hear another love song, but didn’t argue. I pulled my arm back and listened to the lyrics.

“I finished crying in the instant that you left And I can't remember where or when or how And I banished every memory you and I had ever made.”

That line made me think of Nick, but not in the kind of way that made me cry, the kind that really made me wonder if I could do what Celine Dion did in the song.

Could I forget Nick? As soon as I asked myself that question I knew the answer. No.

Could I get over Nick? Possibly, over time, and with some help. Could Joe be the one to help me get over Nick. Could my brother be right? Could Joe be the one?

Could I ever get over Nick?

What if the reason getting over him was so hard, was because he was the one? What of we were meant to be? Maybe he was too scared to admit it, or maybe he didn’t realize that we were perfect together yet. He said that we were too different, but don’t opposites attract? Or is that just a fairy tale? Is that just a lie to give girls hope?

I should know that fairy tales don’t come true, I knew that, so why was I still hoping that Nick was my prince charming? Why did I want him to come back to me, put me on his white horse, and ride off into the sunset with him? How could I believe such a stupid fairy tale?

There were those rare instances that fairy tales did come true. Could I be one of those rare instances?

The question I really needed to answer was, did I want to give up on Nick?

No.

I suddenly felt determined. He would realize I was the girl for him.

I sighed. But Nick was also a very determined person. Once he made his mind up on something it was very hard to change it. So how could I change his mind?

I could only think of 1 think that would change his mind.

A make-over.

I had to change everything about me.

I had to become a girly-girl.

I cringed at that thought, but I knew it was the only thing I could do to change Nick’s mind.

So where should I start?

Hmm, maybe I should start with my hair. That would be the easiest. I knew what to do about that.

Dye it blonde.

Didn’t guys seemed to prefer blondes over brunettes? That jerk in 10th grade’s girlfriend had blonde hair, and he had picked her over me. He had used me to get her back.

It wouldn’t be hard to dye my hair. I would just go to the hair salon and ask to dye my hair blonde, the hairstylist’s would do the rest. That part would be easy.

The next step would be make-up. That would be a challenge. I had never used make-up, so I wouldn’t know what kind of make-up to get, or how to put it on. I wouldn’t want to put the make-up on all wrong and look like a clown. I would have to go to the mall and ask for a professionals help.

The next step would be girly clothes. That would be easier, but still somewhat of a challenge. I wouldn’t know what kind of clothes to get. Maybe Joe would help me, he had offered to buy me all those girly clothes. Of course I wouldn’t let him buy my new clothes, but he could tell me which clothes guy liked to see on a girl. Maybe I should bring Joe along on my make-over, he could give me a guys perspective on what guy’s think would look good on a girl.

Lastly, I would have to change my independent way and act like a girly-girl. No more soccer, no more basketball, no more paying for the meals. Could I do that? I wasn’t so sure. Maybe Joe could help me with that.

When I’m done Nick won’t be able to resist me. He’ll realize that we were meant to be and we’ll live happily ever after. Hopefully.

Now, before I made this change, I needed to answer one simple question.

Was Nick worth it? I only needed a second to answer that question.

Yes.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Sunlight streamed through my window, waking me up. I hadn’t set my alarm today since I didn’t have to work. Today would be the perfect day to change my image since I had the whole day to myself.

I got out of bed and walked down the hall to the guest bedroom. I saw Tony sprawled across the bed, snoring. I tried not to laugh as I quietly closed the door and walked back to my bedroom. I would let Tony sleep in. I walked over to my dresser and picked up my cell phone off my dresser. I dialed the familiar number. After two ring’s Joe picked up.

“Hello?” Joe answered in a drowsy voice.

“Hi, Joe. Its me, Alex,” I said. Joe immediately perked up.

“Oh, hey Alex. I’ve been think about what you said about just being friends, and well, I don’t agree, but I’ll take whatever I can get.”

“That great because, well, I need a favor,” I started out.

“Sure, anything,” Joe answered.

“I need you to meet me in front of the Orange Blossom Mall in two hours.”

“Ok, but why?”

“You’ll see.” Was all I told him.

“Ok. See you there. Bye.”

“Bye.” I snapped my phone shut, and went to my closet to get dressed.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I walked into the beauty salon in a pair of worn out skinny jeans and a white t-shirt that looked like it had black paint splattered on it. I couldn’t find anything girly in my closet, so I had to settle for this. I walked up the front and told the lady all my information, and a few minutes later it was my turn. I nervously walked to the chair to have my hair dyed blonde.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, because of a very persistent reader, this chapter is up, and the next one should come soon...hopefully. Anyways, hope you guys enjoyed this chapter!