Sequel: Family Values
Status: Completed :)

Lead me From the Darkness

Chapter Eleven

September 11th, 2011
Friday
Greg’s Condo, Boston, MA
8:00 A.M.

Donna woke up to the sunlight streaming in on her from the window over head. She felt Greg lying next to her and remembered she was in his condo. She slowly sat up and looked at the clock it was 8:00. She felt worried wondering if Henry knew she was missing. She felt Greg move next to her and heard him say

“Good morning,”

“Morning,” she said stretching. “Isn’t your dad here?”

“Oh ya,” said Greg. “Thank god he didn’t wake up before us and find us here.” Greg got up from behind her and peaked into one of the bedrooms. “He’s still asleep,” He went into the kitchen and said

“Want anything?”

“What do you have?” she asked.

“Cereal,” he said. “Sorry I don’t know how to cook much.”

“I do,” she said smiling. “I could make us something.”

“Really?”

“Ya,” she got up off the couch and went over to the fridge. “I could make bacon.”

“I love bacon,” he said.

“Bacon it is then,” she said reaching in and grabbing the box. Greg watched her heat up the skillet on the stove and tear open the box of bacon. She stood in the spot that Vikki had only a few months ago. Greg saw his dad walk out from the bedroom. It was an awkward moment when all three stared at each other.

“Hi dad,” said Greg, breaking the silence.

“Good morning,” said his dad.

“This is Donna,” said Greg.

“Nice to meet you Donna,” said Colin.

“You too Mr. Campbell,” she said nervously.

“What have you guys been doing?” Greg and Donna looked at each other not sure what to say.

“I come and cook breakfast sometimes,” said Donna. “Greg isn’t to good at it so I come and do it.”

“What are you cooking?” said Greg’s dad. Donna felt the tense atmosphere disappear and said

“Bacon,”

“Bacon’s good,” said Colin. Greg was smiling at his father’s temporary approval. Colin turned to his son and said “When is your first game?”

“Not soon,” said Greg. “October sixth.”

“I’ll come down to see it,” said Colin. Greg turned to Donna and said

“I could get you tickets if Henry won’t it will be fun.”

“Alright,” said Donna happily.

“Who’s Henry?” asked Mr. Campbell. Donna was unsure what to say, she didn’t want to tell Greg’s father she had a boyfriend when she was over his son’s house cooking him breakfast.

“My brother,” said Donna. She regretted saying he was her brother instantly after she said it. What if he saw her and Henry later kissing somewhere?

“Is he playing on the Bruins?” asked Colin.

“Ya,” said Donna “He started this year.”

“So you come from a hockey family?” asked Colin. She knew she was digging dangerously deeper into the lie.

Greg knew that his dad liked Donna only because of the lie she had told him. What would he think if he knew that she was from a poor immigrant family and leaving her abusive boyfriend to come see him? His dad went to watch the morning news while Donna finished up making breakfast. Greg stayed in the kitchen with Donna.

“I hope he doesn’t ever see you and Henry together,” said Greg.

“I’ll make sure he doesn’t,” said Donna. She finished cooking and brought a plate out to Greg’s father. She and Greg sat at the small kitchen table eating.

“I don’t know exactly when Henry is going to get back this morning; he hasn’t called me yet asking me where I am so I’m assuming he hasn’t come back.” she said.

“Where is he staying all night?” asked Greg.

“I don’t know,” said Donna. “He goes out and parties. He’s probably sleeping around.”

“So he’s cheating on you?”

“Ya,” said Donna “I know he is, I can’t stop him.”

“So if you ever cheated on him he’d get angry but he thinks he can cheat on you.”

“Ya,” said Donna. “That’s his mind set.” She took out her phone and said “I should call him to make sure he’s actually not home.” She called Henry’s number and his answering machine picked up meaning his phone was off.

“I wish games would start,” said Donna, changing the subject. “It was fun to go to Providence games and especially Henry for awhile and have fun.”

“We have preseason games starting on September 23rd.”

“I’m gonna go to every one of them.” said Donna. “I can’t stand sitting at home in that apartment anymore. Alone at night, waiting for him to come home.”
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

I've posted the preview for my Lucic/Horton/Campbell collaborated story. Since I'm not done with the Campbell stories I only have the previews for Lucic and Horton. It's called Times of Change.

I'm also starting to write an original fiction about hockey which means there won't be any real people mentioned in it but my own characters. All I can tell you right now is that it will be a drama based on a small hockey town with two different characters telling the story. I probably won't have the first chapter up for a few weeks.