Sequel: Family Values
Status: Completed :)

Lead me From the Darkness

Chapter Two

September 5th, 2011
Monday
Ristuccia Arena, Wilmington, MA
8:00 A.M.

Greg walked into the lockers rooms at Ristuccia Arena. It was a slow morning and he still felt half asleep as he looked around the room to see only a few guys had also come in. He went and sat down next to Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton. He was pretty close to both of them, especially since he’d known Nathan from the time they were on the Panthers together. He and Milan became good friends because his wife Raina would invite him over for dinner, knowing that he was alone at his apartment now every night without Nicky.

“Cheer up,” said Milan seeing the looks of misery on his face. “She’s been gone for a few months now.”

“I can’t get over her,” said Greg. He’d gotten dumped by his long time girlfriend Nicky at the end of last season and still hadn’t gotten over her. Nathan shrugged and said

“She cheated on you didn’t she?” Greg grunted in reply not wanting to think about it. He quickly changed the subject and turned to Milan.

“How’s the babies?”

“Wonderful,” said Milan smiling. “They’re a handful though; this season’s going to get a bit exhausting. Raina and I take turns getting up at night when they cry.”

More guys came into the locker room and Greg saw an unfamiliar face walk in. The man was tall and had a confident almost arrogant look on his face. He had brown hair, fair skin, and a handsome face. He was very tall from what Greg could see, probably around 6’5” or 6’6”. He glanced over to see Nathan and Milan watching him as well as he crossed into the locker room and sat down at a bench at the far end of the room. He sat below a locker with hockey gear in it labeled with his last name and number, Hunt #42. He was definitely a new player. Greg slouched over waiting for the couch to come in and introduce the new player.

Claude Julien walked in a few minutes later and the locker room fell silent. He began to talk about their success last year winning the Stanley Cup and how even though we’d reached the top last year we still had to put all of our effort into this season and try to get to the top again. Then he introduced the new player.

“Everyone this is Henry Hunt, our newest player. He came here from the Providence Bruins. He will be on the second line” Henry had a smug smile on as he was being introduced. Greg knew he wouldn’t like this guy, he seemed cocky. They left the locker room and went onto the ice. He watched Henry skate out, still not having of said a word to any of them.

It felt good to finally play hockey again. He felt so free on the ice and it took his mind off of Nicky. He looked around at the same crowd of fans that had gathered to watch them. He looked around for faces he knew, he found Krejci’s girlfriend Allison amongst the crowd, and he saw Raina sitting up on the bleachers with the twins and Tuukka’s fiancé Jasmiina. The sadness he felt knowing that Nicky was not out there watching him was quickly erased when he heard the arena doors open. He looked over to see a girl walking in and sitting down on the bottom step of the bleachers. He was instantly captivated by her beauty and didn’t notice that he had stopped skating to watch her. She had extremely fair skin that was made even more significant by her jet black hair and bright blue eyes. She had a cold expression on her face as she looked out at the ice. Greg had never seen her before. He heard Claude tell him to keep skating from the bench. Greg obeyed and skated faster to catch up with Milan, Nathan, and David.

“You ever seen her?” he asked David pointing to the girl.

“No,” said David. “Why?”

“Nothing, she’s just a new face. You usually see a lot of the same fans around here.” David shrugged and kept skating. Greg couldn’t take his eyes off of the girl. She finally noticed him watching her and turned to look at him. Greg felt struck and almost intimidated by her ice blue stare. She didn’t change her cold expression as she continued to look at him. After a few seconds Greg couldn’t hold the connection. Feeling uncomfortable he looked away and down at his feet.

Donna sat on the end of one the bleachers feeling extremely out of place in the new rink. She should have brought a thicker sweater instead of the thin black cotton one she was wearing. She shivered and hugged herself, trying to get warmer. She looked for Henry out on the ice and found him skating by himself over in the opposite corner. He had that disgusting over the top look of pride on his face he usually wore. She knew he’d be going into this new team acting like he was the best thing that had ever come to the NHL. She continued to watch him go around and around the rink warming up. She looked around at the other players and noticed one watching her. She looked back at him, taking in his handsome face, and wondering why he was staring at her specifically. He turned away a minute later and went back to skating. Donna quickly switched her gaze back to Henry who had thankfully not noticed her checking out another player. If Henry thought she was attracted to any other man, especially a new teammate of his he’d beat her with a belt.
__________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.

I'll be going away this Saturday till the 28th, I will have internet access but I'm going to be busy so I might not get to update much.