Sequel: Family Values
Status: Completed :)

Lead me From the Darkness

Chapter Twenty-Nine

October 13th, 2011
Thursday
Mass General, Boston, MA
10:00 A.M.

The next day Donna was free to go from the hospital. She went straight to Greg's room to see him.

When she walked in he was sitting up watching TV.

"Greg," she said. He saw her and a wide grin spread across his face. She ran over and threw her arms around him.

"I'm so happy you're ok." he said. "You saved my life, I wouldn't of been able to handle Henry by myself." Donna smiled and said

"Henry's gone for good now. I can't believe it took something like this to happen for me to realize how horrible of a person Henry is." Greg pulled her down into a kiss and said

"It's not your fault, don't ever blame yourself." Donna smiled and said

"I love you Greg, I can't imagine what my life would be like right now if you weren't here."

"I love you too," he said.

"When will you be out of the hospital?" she asked.

"In a few days, are you out today?"

"Ya, I only had the stitches in my arms and a concussion."

"Good," he said. "You can come live with me." Donna didn't hesitate and said

"I would absolutely love too." Greg smiled feebly at her and then shut his eyes.

"Are you tired?" she asked softly.

"A little," he said. Donna stayed with him until he fell asleep. She has to go home and straighten things out.

When she walked out of the hospital she felt lost even though she knew where she was going. She felt like she was wandering as she walked down the street. When she walked up to she and Henry's house she felt depressed. She couldn't stay here. All of the terrible memories with Henry would forever rot inside the house. When she went inside she felt afraid. It was dark with no lights on. She was afraid that Henry would be there, hiding in the darkness, waiting to jump out at her. The ringing silence only added to the feeling of dread. When she turned the lights on she realized that no one was there and she had just been imagining things. She still felt nervous as she moved into the hallway and unlocked the basement door. She looked down the staircase and saw the coffee table still pressed up against the wall underneath the window. She continued on to the bedroom and found the closer light on. She went in and was surprised to see the trunk pulled out with the white bed sheets all over the floor. She looked inside to see Greg's jersey still in the bottom. Henry must have found it. At least he didn't ruin it. She pulled a few suitcases down from the top shelf and set them open on the bed. She needed to pack all of her things and put the house up for sale.

She would go straight to Greg's and never come back. The car had been returned to the house so Donna spent the rest of the night packing her things. She wasn't going to stop until everything was in the car. Then she could leave.

Around 2 A.M. she finally had all of her things packed. She had left the majority of the furniture, Henry's things, took her stuff, and grabbed the cookware and dining set. She took one last walk through the house to make sure she had everything.

She came back to the basement doorway which was slightly open. She felt cold air coming through and knew it was from the open broken window. She went to shut the door but found herself wanting to go down the stairs. She flicked the light switch on and slowly made her way down one step at a time.

Again she half expected Henry to be waiting down there for her. She felt relieved when it was empty. She saw the coffee table and the broken window she had struggled and pushed herself through earlier. She went up to the window and felt her heart leap into her throat when she saw dried blood still clotted on the jagged edges of the broken glass. She swallowed the sick feeling that has sprung up and turned away, heading back upstairs. It was the last time she would see the broken window, the empty basement, or the inside of the house. She would even avoid going down the street if she had too. When she left the house she took one last look around the neighborhood. At the playground, the surrounding houses, and the familiar sidewalk she went down everyday. Then she got in her car and drove away, not looking back.
_________________________________________________
Thanks for reading :) Please comment.