Status: updating whenever

No Happily Ever After

Chapter 16

‘Hi, I’m Mark.’ A boy with average brown hair and grey eyes slid onto the stool next to me and beamed.
‘I’m Ella.’ I smiled, and wiped my eyes. I was hysterical and I hadn’t even drank.
‘Are you okay?’ He frowned.
‘Yeah, I’m fine.’
‘You shouldn’t drink.’ He laughed.
‘I haven’t even started.’ I mumbled in return. He laughed again, and I joined in without even realizing why.
‘Wanna ditch this place?’
‘Sure.’ He grabbed my hand, and led me to the exit. I noticed Mary wink at me in the midst of the crowd but I ignored her. I wasn’t single.
‘So, what’re you doing here?’ Mark had taken us to a small coffee shop, and I had to admit, it was nice here. Friendly.
‘I live with my sister.’ I offered. ‘You’ve got to know her, Mary Dawson.’
‘The girl with all the hair? Yeah, everyone knows her.’ He chuckled. ‘You’re nothing like her though.’
‘We lost contact.’
‘Is that why I haven’t seen you around?’
I nodded. ‘I’m leaving soon anyway.’
‘Really? How come?’
‘College.’ The lie came easily and quickly. After all, I’d graduated early because I’d been moved up a grade when I was 9.
‘Where are you going?’
‘Oh, somewhere in Europe.’ I gabbled, hurriedly. ‘My … friend lives there.’
‘Oh, nice. When do you leave?’
‘Beginning of December.’
‘So 3 days, then?’
‘3 days!?’ I gasped, a hand pressed over my mouth. I was seeing Jack in just 3 days! The months had flown by.
‘Yep.’
‘What about you?’ I smiled with new-found happiness. ‘What’re you doing here?’
‘Girlfriend dumped me. Trying to get over it.’ He shrugged.
‘What happened?’
‘Slept with another guy.’
I winced. ‘I’m so sorry.’
‘Its fine, I’m used to it.’ He chuckled.
Whilst he spoke vehemently about his ex, I checked him out. Nowhere near as beautiful as Jack, no charm like Alex but he was nice. Nice enough to look after a girl obviously not used to clubbing.
Just then, my phone buzzed in my pocket. Jack?
‘Hello?’
‘You picked up!’ It was Jack.
‘Yeah, what’s up?’
‘I haven’t spoken to you in ages.’ He sounded upset.
‘I know, I’m so sorry.’ I mouthed a quick apology to Mark who went over to get our bill. ‘I’m kind of bus-‘
‘Don’t tell me you’re busy, Ella.’
‘I’m with a friend.’ I shook my head angrily.
‘Oh. Right. I’ll call later.’
‘I love you.’
He’d hung up.
I sighed. After staying away from him for 2 months, I just didn’t know anymore.
‘Is everything okay?’
‘Everything’s fine. You wouldn’t mind if I left though?’ I smiled apologetically. ‘I just have a lot to do and tonight wasn’t supposed to happen.’
‘Right.’ I’d hurt him, but he put on a brave face. ‘Good luck with college.’ He smiled wanly and disappeared.
Stupid boys. Who needed them anyway?
I didn’t really know where I was going, but managed to stumble into the apartment at about 1am. I grabbed my cell phone and called Alex.
‘Ella?’
‘Hey, is Jack okay?’
‘He’s sleeping. Do you wanna talk to him?’
‘Alex, what’s wrong?’ He was being far too formal.
‘Nothing, really. Did he tell you?’ He was suddenly excited.
‘Tell me what?’
‘We’re on our way to get you, like now!’ He shrieked over the phone.
‘Really? You have like 3 da-‘
‘Tour finished early, we’re coming, Ella!’ He screamed, and I could totally imagine him leaping about like a girl.
‘Are you serious!?’ I screamed. I put the phone on speaker, threw it onto the sofa and squealed with excitement. They were almost here! I danced around, shouting to Alex who shouted back.
‘Ok, we gotta go. We’ll be with you in like... 4 hours.’
I frowned, and then ran to my room. The books called to me, begging me to return with them. I ignored them and packed my things away. I tried to sleep, but excitement ran through my veins. I left a note for Mary, and tried to watch TV but the little hands on the clock slugged by as if they were taunting me. Eventually, I grabbed my iPod, plugged it into Mary’s speakers and turned All Time Low up on loud.

‘Ella, open up!’
I shifted, and crawled over to the speakers. All Time Low was still playing.
And I was still dressed in the horribly exposing black dress. Ignoring the door and Alex’s screaming, I grabbed a pair of Mary’s jeans and a lacy tank top before slipping into my cardigan and untying my hair.
‘Gee, take your time.’ Alex mumbled. ‘Let’s go.’
‘Right, ok.’ I shoved my things at Alex and followed him to the bus. Rian was sitting on the side walk, signing something for a girl. He looked up, pushed the girl’s pen away and ran up to me. His arms around me, one hand in my hair and one in the small of my back… it was nice to be home.
‘Rian.’ I mumbled. ‘I missed your hugs.’
‘I missed you.’ He pulled away and sent me sprawling into the bus. I balanced myself quickly and made my way into the back.
Zack stood glumly in the door way, but the second he saw me, he perked up.
‘Hey, Zack!’ I smiled brightly, but the breath was knocked out of me before the smile could surface. ‘Calm down.’
‘Sorry… It’s been hell without you though.’
‘Is that a compliment?’ I grinned. ‘Gosh, you’ve changed.’
He looked older. His eyes were more serious and his face had aged. The muscles were hardened, showing off veins that shouldn’t have stood out so much. He really had changed.
‘Yes, it was. Now…’ He stepped away from me, and the next thing I knew, his hands were covering my eyes. ‘Step forward, I’ve got you.’
I pushed the door open, and as Zack’s hands let go of my eyes, someone had me in a bear hug that had me off the ground.
‘Elllllaaaaa!’ Jack shrieked. ‘Surprise!’
His lips found mine, and my mind spun. I wrapped my arms around his neck, and moulded myself to him, clinging to his frame. I needed him. I wanted him. I was finally with him.
‘I love you.’ I mumbled, wearily leaning my head against his chest. Impatiently, he disregarded my statement, and turned my head to look behind him.
The table that stood to its proud frame of 2 feet above the ground was laden with food: chips, dips, marshmallow fluff, poorly cut sandwiches and many alcoholic beverages. A banner hung from one corner to the other reading in sloshed letters ‘Welcome Back’ and the rest of the crew sat grumpily on the sofa wearing coned party hats. I gasped, and then threw my arms around Jack.
‘I can’t take credit,’ He pulled away, but still held me ‘Zack thought of it all. Rian got the food, Alex got the guys to wear the hats, I did the sandwiches and Zack did the banner. You like?’
‘I love.’ I replied, turning to Zack. I hugged him too. ‘Thank you, Zack.’
‘No problem, El.’ I thought he’d stay but he opened the door near the guys and left. Jack had turned up Green Day and had Matt slow dancing with him. Alex was eating food and Rian was playing the guitar… badly.
‘Where’s Zack gone?’ Alex asked, his mouth stuffed with food. ‘These are really good, Jack.’
‘Thanks, babe.’ Jack yelled, already halfway drunk.
‘I don’t know... He left.’
‘Secretive faggot.’ Alex mumbled, going back for more food.
Jack turned a mix of my favourite songs on, and grabbed my hands, waving them around and trying to dance. Elated, I danced with him, alternating between slow dancing and just plain dancing.

‘I’m coming in.’ I yelled, pushing open the door automatically, and stopped when Zack shrieked and pushed his guitar away.
‘Wha-‘
‘What’re you doing in here? There’s a party going on…’ I trailed off when he shook his head.
‘Nope, not in the party mood. Gotta get practising.’
Zack was a strange guy. He was quiet, observant and very good at doing his job – and that was playing for All Time Low. He adored his fans, signed autographs and lived a good life with his friends, but there was something about him… Something off.
‘Are you okay?’ I frowned.
‘Yeah, I’m fine. What about you?’
‘I’m fine.’ I sat down next to him and hugged my knees. ‘What’s up, Zack?’
‘Nothing.’ He lied, not meeting my eyes.
‘Zack.’
‘No.’ His voice was persistent and final. Realising it was a lost cause; I sighed and made my way to the bathroom. We were only here for a few days, making our way back home, but I had to wash my hands. After I was done, I sat back down next to him.
‘I’m gonna leave until you tell me.’
‘Whatever, Dawson.’
I grabbed his laptop, slammed the screen shut and snatched it away. I held it behind my back dodging his fractious and frustrated swipes.
‘Ella!’ He yelled. ‘That’s not funny.’
‘Tell me what’s wrong!’
‘Nothing!’ He yelled, still trying to get it.
‘When the whole thing with Jack and his stupid irate fan happened… I told you. I didn’t want to, but I told you. You know my weakness. And in return for being there for me, I want to be there for you too.’ I blinked and looked at him. Usually, when I gazed at Jack, his willpower would crumble. Then again, so did mine, but it usually worked.
‘You want to help?’ He frowned. ‘Keep the guys away from me when I’m with my guitar, ok?’
‘Are you writing a song?’
He tapped his nose, grinned, snatched his laptop back and settled back onto the floor.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sick, so I'm posting two boring chapters in today to keep you entertained.
Sorry guys, my anaemia is getting so bad I can't breathe or walk properly, so no more for a while.
I LOVE YOU ALL.