Status: Completed!

Rebel Love Song

Homebodies

We were having another random California storm, even though it was early March already. I was practically running into the house when I heard a faint mewling over the pounding rain. I swore under my breath as I stopped to listen for the sound. I was soaked through to the skin already and I could feel my socks squishing between my toes.

I crouched, seeing a flicker of movement under the pipe that came down from the gutters. Huddled under the drain pipe, there was a tiny gray tabby kitten, soaked and shaking.

“Oh, poor baby.” I scooped it up and carried it into the house quickly. “Jake?”

“Yeah? Jesus, you’re soaked.” He said, walking into the front hall where I was taking off my shoes.

“Look what I found outside.” I held out the sodden pile of fur that was the kitten I’d found.

“You go dry off, I’ll see what I can do about this little one.” Jake carried him off to the kitchen while I headed for the bathroom. I found a pair of my trusty sweatpants and a thermal long sleeve that I put one of Jake’s hoodies over.

He was drying the kitten off with a hand towel when I came back into the kitchen.

“We better not let Lily see that, she’ll wanna keep him.” I said, leaning against the counter. “I’m gonna go get her.”

“You want to keep him?” Jake asked.

“Can I?” I clasped my hands under my chin. He sighed, but he was smiling. “Yay! Thanks Jakey.” I stood up on my tiptoes to give him a kiss.

The poor kitty nearly got abandoned as we got deeper into the kiss. If he hadn’t meowed so pathetically we might have forgotten about him all together. I pulled away from Jake and started drying his fur.

“What should we name him?” I asked when he looked more like a puffball than a drowned rat.

“Hmm.” Jake put his arms around my waist from behind me and rested his chin on my shoulder.

“Davey?” I’d been known to have a mild obsession with AFI. Jake shrugged when I looked at him, so I picked Davey up and kissed his little nose. “Come on little guy, there’s a little girl who’s gonna LOVE you.” I looked over my shoulder at Jake as I walked away. “And I’ll be back for you, mister, in a few minutes.” I winked at him.

“Oh Lily!” I hollered, walking into her bedroom. Trixy was sleeping at the foot of her bed and she was playing with her stuffed animals. “Look what I found.”

“A kitty!” She squealed, hopping up and holding her little hands out for him.

“Be careful with him sweetie, he’s still a baby.” I gave her the kitten gently. “His name is Davey.”

“After that guy you like?” Wow, I really must be an AFI freak if she knows who he is.

“Yep.” I watched as Lily put Davey and Trixy next to each other. Trixy just sniffed him and put her head back down. “Come on, go brush your teeth so I can read you your story.” She skipped off to the bathroom and came back a few minutes later. I helped her into her pajamas and braided her hair down her back before picking up the broken down book of fairy tales that Grandma had given me. Before I’d even finished the story, her little eyes had closed. Her arms were wrapped around Trixy’s neck. I put Davey in a crate that Jake had for Trixy and put a bowl of water and some newspapers in it for him.

Then I went into my room to find Jake splayed out on my bed, arms crossed behind his head.

“Miss me?” I giggled, crawling onto the bed next to me.

“Terribly.” He wrapped his arms around my waist.

“Are you gonna stay with me tonight?” I asked, pressing a kiss to his chest above the neckline of his wife beater. I swear, the man lives in wife beaters and ripped jeans. Not that I’m complaining, he looks fucking sexy.

“If you want me to.” He pulled my quilt over our heads so we were in a cocoon of fabric. With the lights off and the storm still going on outside, I couldn’t see Jake’s face.

I could, however, hear him breathing and feel him pressed up against me. We’d been together a few months and we were moving slower than two virginal teenagers.

I could vaguely tell where his lips were, so I leaned forward and kissed him. One of his hands tangled in my hair and the other settled on my ass, holding me to him. I rolled him to the side so I was on top of him, straddling his hips.

He slid his hands up the back of my shirt, following the lines of my lacy bra. I had to bite down on my lip to keep from moaning when his rough hands cupped my breasts. I arched my back, grinding my hips against his. He let out a soft groan and flipped us over so he was hovering over me. He pushed my shirt up over my stomach, leaving a small trail of kisses and bites up towards my chest.

--

“Jesus, girl, what the hell happened to you?” Sammi asked as I pulled my shirt over my head. We were supposed to take Lily shopping today and Sammi was waiting while I changed my shirt.

“What?” Shirt still half on, I looked down at myself and saw what she meant. My torso was a Rorschach pattern of bruises and hickeys.

“What did you and Jake do last night?” She grinned and wiggled her eyebrows.

“We were on our way to third base but we got tripped by the short stop.” I muttered, pulling my shirt on. I swear, Lily is the biggest cockblocker I’ve ever met. The thunder and lightning had freaked her out so she and Trixy started busting down my door. Jake and I ended up sleeping the same bed, but there was a kid and a dog between us.

“Got cockblocked by the munchkin?”

“Poor Jake.” I shook my head. “Every time we get close to doing anything interesting, we get stopped.”

“Jeremy and I can take her if you guys wanna get your freak on.”

“I’ll talk to Jake about it.” I jammed my feet into a pair of boots and debated between one of Jake’s hoodies or one of mine. I was accumulating a collection slowly, and I even had a few of his shirts in here now that I think about. I ended up grabbing one of mine.

“I think he’ll jump for the chance to get you alone. According to my sources, he never shuts up about you and Lily.”

“Well he barely goes out, so we’re the only people he sees.”

“He didn’t used to be like that you know. He used to go out with the guys all the time and never be home. He stays home for you and the kid.”

“He doesn’t have to, but it’s nice that he does. I like being able to chill out with him.” I could easily see myself being with him for a long time. He’s sweet, he’s funny, he’s sexy as fuck and as I discovered last night, a little bit of a biter.

Well, considering my stomach and chest look like leopard print, he’s a lot of a biter.