Status: Completed!

Rebel Love Song

Tattoos

We dropped Lily off at Sammi and Jeremy’s house before heading to Wandering Canvas to get our tattoos. I’d worn a shirt that didn’t have a back purposely. Jake didn’t have the option of a chestless shirt so he took it off when he sat in the tattoo artist’s chair. I didn’t have time to enjoy the view of his bare chest because Frank had me facing the opposite direction to work on my back.

As usual, the outlining hurt way worse than the shading. But it would be worth it, especially as a memorial to Jules. I’d told Frank what I wanted and he’d drawn up an amazing sketch for me. It was a heart with wings wrapping around it, with Jules’s initials were written above the heart.

I couldn’t help but think about Jules as Frank worked. The memories were good, but they were tainted with loss. She should be here, raising Lily. Zack should be here. None of this was fair.

“How’s it looking Jakey?” I called.

“Mine or yours?” He asked.

“Either one babe.” I laughed.

“Yours looks great from here. Mine is turning out beautifully.” He let out a short hiss. “Well that one hurt.”

“Neither of us are going to be able to function normally.” I said. “Or sleep normally.”

“Well, these tattoos are important.” We were quiet again, the whirring of the machines the only sound in the room.

“You’re all done.” Hannah, the artist who was doing Jake’s tattoo said, letting him look at himself in the mirror.

“It looks great. Thank you.” Jake said, walking over in front of me so I could see it. “Carolyn” was written across his chest in dripping, gothic letters.

“It looks amazing Jakey. You know, I was almost named Carolyn.” I said.

“Well that would have been interesting.” He said, finding a place to sit while Frank finished mine up. Carolyn was his mother’s name. She’d been a big musical influence on him and a big part of his life, so that was the story behind his tattoo.

“And you, missy, are all done as well.” Frank handed me a mirror before positioning the big one behind me so I could see my tattoo.

“It’s beautiful. Thanks Frankie.” I gave him a very careful hug before he smoothed a bandage over it. Jake wanted me to take a picture of his for his Twitter, so I grabbed his phone and waited for him to peel the bandage off.

“Okay, I’m ready.” He said.

“Why are you pinching your nipples?” I laughed, taking the picture.

“Protecting my modesty.” He stuck his tongue out at me.

“Whatever Jakey.” We paid for our ink and got into the car. I had to sit leaning forward a little on the seat. Jake kept shifting uncomfortably where his seatbelt rubbed against his new tattoo.

“We’re both fucked, you know that right?” He said finally.

“Pretty much, yeah.” I chuckled. “Especially since tomorrow we’re taking Lily to the zoo.”

“Fuck, that’s tomorrow?” He groaned.

“Yep. So get ready for family fun time.”

“We are a family.” He said slowly.

“Well yeah, what else would you call this?” I laughed. He kissed the back of my hand as we pulled into Sammi and Jeremy’s driveway.

“Let me see your pictures.” Lily demanded when she saw us. We obliged and removed the bandages so she could see. “JVV. What’s that?”

“Those are your mommy’s initials.” I said, lifting her up so she could see Jake’s tattoo better.

“Who’s Carolyn?” Lily asked.

“Carolyn is my mommy. She means a lot to me.” Jake explained.

“Why don’t you get Auntie Sky’s name tattooed on you then?” Lily cocked her head to one side. Jeremy coughed, trying to break the awkward silence.

“Because I’m not sure your auntie would want that.” Jake said finally.

“What if her auntie thought that was sweet?” I said.

“Lily-pad, are you sure you have everything?” Sammi scooped Lily out of my arms and disappeared around the corner, Jeremy close on her heels.

“Do you think tattooing the name of the person you’re with on you is sweet?

“If the person who’s name it is loves you, then yes.” I kept my eyes glued to my feet, knowing full well I’d just indirectly told him I loved him. He put his hand under my chin, tilting it up so I’d look at him.

“I love you too.” He said just before he kissed me. I probably would have kept kissing him, had a camera flash not gone off and the first few notes of the wedding march being sung by a five year old.

“Jeremy.” Jake said, pulling away from me. “What are you going to do with that?” Not three seconds later, Jake, Sammi and I all started buzzing. I pulled out my phone and saw a Twitter alert from @JinxxBVB.

“Guess who’s getting it on in my hallway?” Was the caption to the picture he’d just taken of us. Both of us were tagged in the picture.

“You didn’t.” I said, looking at him.

“I believe I did.” Jeremy grinned.

“I probably would have put a picture of you on there soon anyway.” Jake said, kissing my forehead. “Now come on munchkin, time for us to go home!”

In the eight minutes it took us to drive home, Twitter had exploded. People were retweeting the picture, and tweeting Jake and me.

About 70% of those directed towards Jake were “NO HOW COULD YOU WHY JAKE WHY” or something similar.

“Well this isn’t good.” I said, pulling up the Twitter feed on my laptop. Jake and I were sitting on his bed and scrolling through the tweets.

“Shit. I’m sorry Sky.”

“It’s okay. They would have found out eventually and god knows nothing anyone says to me is going to keep me away from you.” I grabbed my phone and turned it back on, ignoring the messages I was getting. I scooched in as close to Jake as I could and took a picture of the two of us.

Then I uploaded it to Twitter and captioned it, “Guess who’s the luckiest girl alive?”

“I’m the luckiest guy alive then.” He said, putting my laptop on the nightstand. One of his hands slid behind my head, tugging on the strings of my halter top.

“How are we gonna pull this off?” I said, seeing where he was going with this.

“I have an idea.” He grinned, pulling me on top of him.

“I like where you’re going with this.”

“I love you Sky.”

“I love you too Jake.”