Status: Completed! The sequel is up now.

Choke on Your Misery

Hearts Beat inside our Chests

Alex

In the morning, I jerked away as I felt like I was falling sideways. I looked around groggily and realized that Zack had just jumped up off the couch, away from me.

“Zack, why is Alex here?” Mrs. Merrick came into focus, and I jolted up off the couch.

“He-he stayed over last night,” Zack said, blushing.

Mr. Merrick raised an eyebrow, “We never said you could have someone over.”

“You never said I couldn’t,” Zack defended. “Did you guys just get home?”

“We got home around three in the morning, but didn’t notice you two in here,” Zack’s dad said, crossing his arms. “How long has Alex been here?”

“Since like ten-thirty,” Zack said, looking away from his dad.

“You need to ask us before you let anyone stay over,” Zack’s dad scolded, “Especially a boyfriend or girlfriend.”

“Mark, I’m sure they didn’t do anything they aren’t supposed to,” Zack’s mom sighed.

“Did you?” Zack’s dad questioned, and we both shook our heads quickly.

“Dad!” Zack’s face flushed in embarrassment.

“You better not have.”

“Um, if I may, Mr. Merrick – Zack was having a panic attack and kind of needed someone with him, so I came over and stayed,” I spoke up.

“That’s nice, but I think you should be going, Alex,” Zack’s dad said, frowning at me.

“Okay,” I mumbled, blushing. Zack shrugged apologetically. “I’ll see you later, Zack.” I squeezed Zack’s hand and went to grab my shoes, leaving his house quickly. Why was Zack’s dad so mad? He had liked me when he met me, but now he was acting strange. I walked in my front door and stopped when I saw my mom sitting at the kitchen table.

“There you are! Alexander William Gaskarth, I was worried sick about you!” my mom exclaimed.

“Sorry,” I said, wincing.

“‘Sorry’? Did you even think to tell me you were leaving? Or at least check your phone?”

“No, I didn’t. I left around ten-thirty because Zack was having a panic attack and his parents weren’t home. I’m sorry if that’s not considered important,” I grumbled, opening the refrigerator.

My mom sighed, “I didn’t know that’s why you left, Alex. You should have at least told me before you left.”

“Sorry. Next time I’ll call,” I mumbled. I pulled out the orange juice carton and poured myself a glass. “I’ll be up in my room if you need me.”

I headed upstairs to my room, and my phone rang just as I sat down. I checked the caller ID; it was Jack. “Hey Jack,” I greeted as I answered the phone.

“Alex! You wanna go to a party this Friday?” Jack asked excitedly.

“Whose party?” I questioned, setting my orange juice down.

“Some friend of Evan’s; I don’t remember his name. Anyway, it’s an open party, so you should come! Evan said that Grieco is going, and even Rian is going to go.”

“Really? I didn’t take Rian for much of a partier.”

“Me either, but apparently he told Evan he’ll come,” Jack said. “You should bring Zack, too!”

I chuckled, “I’ll see what I can do; I’m not sure he’ll want to come to a party.”

••••••••••

I was sitting in my room later, attempting to write the lyrics to one of my first songs, when I heard a knock at the door. I got up to open the door and saw that it was Zack.

"Hey," I greeted, letting him in. "Did my mom let you inside?"

"Yeah," Zack said, nodding.

"Why are you here? Not that I don't want you to be; you just usually call first," I said, lying down on my bed.

"I'm avoiding my dad," Zack muttered, sitting down beside me. "I'm sorry about this morning."

"What was your dad's issue?"

"My dad's not totally comfortable with the fact that I'm bi. To be honest, I think the only reason he's trying to accept it is because he doesn't want me to be depressed or something," Zack sighed.

"That would explain why he suddenly seems like he hates me," I said.

"Yeah, don't take it personally. He likes you, he just doesn't like... us. He's still getting used to me having a boyfriend."

"I see. Well, he better get over it soon. In the mean time, you get to come over to my house. My mom won’t mind; she loves you," I said with a grin.

Zack chuckled, "I've noticed."

"Plus if you're here, we can do this," I said, tugging Zack down toward me and pressing my lips against his. I kept it innocent, though I wanted to kiss him more roughly. Zack just didn't seem like he was in the mood for that. I pulled back and we lay back on my bed for a few minutes before Zack looked at me.

"What were you doing before I came in?" he asked, looking at me.

"I was attempting to write a song. It kind of sucks so far; I only have the chorus and a little more," I said.

"Can I see it?"

I hesitated, but stood up, "Sure." I grabbed a sheet of paper off my desk and hopped back onto my bed, handing Zack the paper and laying my head on his shoulder.

"I like the lyrics. Sing it," Zack said, lacing his fingers together with mine.

"No way!"

"Aw, c'mon; sing it. For me?" he pouted, and I scowled at him. He knew I couldn't resist that pout.

“Fine, I’ll sing the chorus,” I said, brushing my fringe from my face and taking the paper.

“Come with me, I'll take you there
To a place where we don't have to care
We'll sit and watch the world go by
Welcome to my paradise”


Zack smiled, “I like it; we just need to put some music to it. I love your singing voice.”

“I know. You always stare at me when I sing at practice,” I smirked up at him.

“Shut up,” he said, nudging me in the side.

“I think it’s cute,” I chuckled, kissing his neck lightly.

“More like weird," Zack mumbled. Goosebumps covered his neck as I placed light kisses on it, and he squirmed beside me.

"Aleex," he whined, and I chuckled, looking at him.

"Yes?" I asked innocently.

"You know what," he grumbled, bringing his face close to mine. "Don't be such a tease."

"I could do a lot more teasing than that," I said, smirking. "And not just on your neck..."

Zack blushed and leaned forward to kiss me, more roughly than I had expected. I could feel my heart beating against my chest. If this was his way of getting back at me, I was fine with it. We kissed for a few minutes before pulling apart, out of breath.

"I should probably get going, Alex; sorry. I told my mom I’d be right back,” Zack apologized, sitting up and facing me.

“Dammit. Oh, I almost forgot – do you want to come to a party with me on Friday? Jack and Rian will be there, too,” I said, watching him stand up.

“Party? Not gonna happen,” Zack frowned.

“C’mon, it’ll be fun. You won’t have to talk to anyone you don’t want to,” I said, standing up to face him. “Even Rian is going!”

“I don’t know...” he looked unconvinced.

“Just come with us – we don’t have to stay long if you don’t want to. Nothing bad will happen; we’ll have a good time,” I shrugged.

“Promise?”

“I promise,” I said, smiling.

“Fine; I’ll go. But you get to tell my parents about the party.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Title Credit - Kids in Love - Mayday Parade

Another filler-ish chapter. Things get interesting in the next chapter for sure.

How would you guys feel about a chapter in Rian or Jack's point of view in one of the upcoming chapters? Most likely Rian's. Probably just one chapter, though; and only if it works out with what I'm planning.

Comments and suggestions are lovely :) Don't be a silent reader! I've got some new commenters, though. Yay! I appreciate the comments a lot.

Thanks to:
heyJAYhey
SoWrongItsAubrey
Aliialltimelow

for their comments. :)