Chasers

Crash

The elevator doors opened, revealing the lobby, Kitty sitting in a chair right in the middle of it all. Mom handed over our key cards. Mom paid already, so we were ready to leave.

"You ready?" Mom asked Kitty, as if she were seven and we were going to Disney World.

Kitty sighed in response and we all headed for the car. It was a nice sixty degrees outside, but considering hotels are always freezing, I was still greeted by a blast of hot air as soon as the door opened. On the way to the car I spotted a car with a dent on the hood. Did he really slam me down that hard? I took a wad of money from my pocket and placed a twenty under the windshield wiper. Hopefully no one would steal it before it got to the owner of the car. We got in the car and I immediately fell asleep.

My whole body jolted forward. SMASH. I had an instant headache. I opened my eyes and there was a tree, right in front of the windshield. It was late afternoon, we must have been close to Denver. I looked around Kitty was unconscious, but didn't have anything but a nasty bruise on her forehead.

I looked to the seat in front of me. My mother was pinned between the steering wheel and the seat. My door was ripped off it's hinges and something pulled me out. For the second time, I found myself pinned against a car, this time my own.

"You'd better have that medallion for me," said the vampire from the previous night.

Then, he screamed in my ear, deafening me a bit, and then I saw what happened. A wooden stake drove through his skull, and he crumpled to the ground. I stood up, and there was a man with curly, white hair and some white stubble on his chin.

He lifted the car with magic and placed it on the side of the road. He unbuckled my mom and disappeared. My first thoughts were of Kitty. I hurried to her side and unbuckled her, lifting her out of the car. Her eyes opened. I eyed a brochure on the seat Mom had been in. The brochure was for a hospital... Well, at least I know where Mom is.