Chasers

Truth

There was a target the middle of a field. I was standing across from it. I focused intently on it, as, in my open palm, a ball of lightning, about the size of a baseball, formed. I hurled it toward my target and it hit, with a little course correction. It stayed there for a millisecond, and then flew off to the side. My father applauded me.

He was teaching everything he knew and I listened, growing more powerful, willing to become powerful enough to defeat him, even if it meant I had to listen to him.

“Time to defend yourself. Any good wizard knows that the key to survival is defense,” my father told me. He stood exactly where the target had. How fitting, I thought.

He rocked back, and then threw his hands out in front of him. I used my magic to grab a chunk out of the earth and blocked his attack. This caused the grass on top to catch on fire. I immediately collapsed.

My father’s silhouette was standing above me, blocking the sun from my view. “That’s your problem; you always use too much power. As wizards, we don’t have unlimited power, only as much as our mind can hold.” He offered me a hand, but I declined it, rising up off the ground by myself.

“If I understand correctly, that’s how you killed Kitty’s father.”

“Liar!” I spat at him, my breath like poison, and at that moment, I wished it had been. That couldn’t be, yet I knew, at the point my father and I were at, he wouldn’t lie to me. He offered a hug to me, but I didn’t want it. I wanted Kitty, but surely she must hate me now, more than ever. Does she know? Would she forgive me? I wouldn’t.