Chasers

Encounter

I frantically ran down a hallway, only spotting one Vampire on the way. "You," he said, as his face changed. He wasn't a vampire. "What are you doing here?" he asked me. "You're supposed to disable the machine. But you're here for your friend, aren't you?"

I couldn't speak. "I will tell you where she is, but promise me you'll disable that machine of theirs. As long as their machine is up, only illusionist magic works, meaning I can disguise myself and talk to your father, but my choices outside that are limited. You should disguise yourself, too; Or maybe you can't handle it? Either way, your friend is in the feeding room, and if I'm correct, she doesn't have much time left."

As silent as I was, I hated this man. He was as sadistic as my father. He gave me directions to the feeding room, which was apparently hidden from the map, and I left him, knife in his chest, hoping that a similar fate waited for father.

I ran down the hallway, frantically, as before. I had a new course set, ready to crash the party. I disguised myself as a Vampire, as my father's contact had, and entered the feeding chamber. A knife ran across bare skin; That was all I saw. I ignored the dozens of humans, each with a subsequent Vampire around them.

Suddenly, I felt a disturbance in the crowd. They were backing away, making a path for the queen, who was entering from the other doorway. She called to her fellow Vampires, as if she deserved to be their queen. "This witch came to our lair, but even she should know that no mage, has ever come here and lived through it." She spat out the word mage, as if it were a derogatory term. "And why did she come? For a boy?"

I blushed, but the queen continued, "My drinking of her blood is more than just that. Not only will it make me stronger, but it is the declaration of war, on all spell-casters, everywhere. Spread the word, and your brothers all over the world will receive the message. Today, I declare war!" With that the crowd roared, some of which, immediately leaving to tell their 'brothers.'

"Wait!" she shouted. I smell blood. The blood of three more. I knew my cover had been blown, so I released the disguise. I hopped on an unoccupied chair, so that I was standing on it. "You, boy!" the queen screamed, losing her temper. "Get him over here, strap him in a chair."

"Wait!" I screamed. The Vampires didn't move. "I do not wish to declare war on you, I explained. "My father..."

"Yes, we know about your father," she interrupted. "and we know about you, too. Strap him to a chair!" As soon as she finished her sentence, I ran. The Vampires were tackling the chair, as I traversed the crowd, looking for Kitty. The illusion I had set up would buy me some time, but not much. I had to move quickly.