Who We Are

Defiant

"What's with the entourage?" Dean questioned as the five of us walked up to him and Emily.

I rolled my eyes and shrugged. "Gwendolyn felt left out," I joked, dodging her hand as she tried to hit me.

Emily had her arms wrapped around herself as she looked around uneasily. I laughed under my breath and starting walking towards the house, everyone following me. Emily rushed up to standing beside me, closer than was usually necessary.

"You know Em," I started, "You better be careful around here. Us folks don't appreciate you rich people barging into our territory like this."

She turned to stare at me with wide eyes. "Are you serious?"

I nodded once, solemnly, "Of course. We don't joke about that kind of thing around here."

I could hear snickers from the group behind me, Dean included. Emily took off her tennis bracelet and shoved it in her pocket. I tried to hide my laugh as she looked around nervously.

We walked for a little but longer until we were on our street. As we turned the corner onto Hickory Street, I noticed that Ronnie and his friends were outside littering the front porch. I heard a boy curse from behind me.

"What's wrong?" Kara questioned as she looked up to her boyfriend.

Bryce sighed, "That's my brother."

I looked at him confused and then looked to the porch to figure out which one of those boys could possibly be related to this kid. Gwendolyn asked, "Who is?" as she walked, doing the same thing that I was.

"Bryan," Bryce said with a defeated tone.

"Who?" we all asked simultaneously, not knowing anything of a Bryan.

Bryce rolled his eyes. "Monte."

We had all heard of him. Monte Money ran with Ronnie's crowd so of course we had all heard his name before. Monte Money had incredibly white hair. He was an interesting looking kid and he seemed pretty mellow. He was always seen around town with Robert who out of the bunch seemed to be his best friend.

We continued walking towards my house, even though Bryce was worried about passing Ronnie's place because he didn't want Monte to see him.

"Why can't he know you're here?" Kara asked as she took his hand in hers.

He rolled his eyes. "Our grandparents are coming over for dinner and Monte told me to go and make up an excuse for him," Bryce told the group, "When he finds out that I bailed too, well he won't be happy about it."

We all chuckled lightly as Kara, Gwendolyn, and Jaime tried to sneak Bryce past the group on the porch. I glanced over as we passed and noticed the guys all glancing back at us. I watched as Max smacked Monte's arm, who was sitting on the rail, and pointed to our little group. Monte turned to looked over his shoulder and then turned back and nodded at Max. Then he turned back to us and called out. "Nice try, Bryce! Get the hell over here!"

Bryce groaned and let go of Kara's hand. He turned to face the group on the porch. "What do you want Monte?" he called out, running his fingers through his hair.

Monte replied, "What the hell are you doing here?"

Bryce shook his head. "Nothing. Mind your own business."

Monte slid off of the porch railing and onto the grass. He walked over to his younger brother and grabbed his arm, yanking him away by just a few feet. They were having a hushed conversation and I could tell that Kara was worrying already.

I rolled my eyes and nodded for my friends to follow me, even though Emily was attached to my arm like a leech, nervous about the boys on the porch. As Dean, Emily, and I walked up the front steps of my house I noticed that Gwen was waiting with her friends for Bryce.

"Be in the house by the time the street lights come on!" I called before ushering Emily and Dean in the house.

I looked up as my younger sisters' voices met my ears. I looked up and saw Lisette, Octavia, and Gianna sitting on the couch with bowls in their laps. "Hey girls," I greeted as I walked over there and grabbed Gianna's bowl, taking a bite for myself and cringing at the taste. I handed it back to her and motioned for Dean and Emily to come over near us. Dean grinned and went to sit in between Lissy and Octavia, since he had been over a quite few times before.

Emily on the other hand didn't know my sisters as well. I introduced her quickly. "Emily, this is Gianna," I pointed to the six year old with straight blonde hair that fell to her shoulders. "That's Lisette," I continued, motioning to the slender, curly-haired blonde. "And this is Octavia," I finished, messing up the ten year old's blonde hair as she swatted at my hand.

I laughed and made my way to the stairs. "Be on the look out for Gwendolyn, she has to be in before the street lights are on," I told my sisters pointedly, smiling as they all nodded and glanced out the screen door. "You coming, Dean?" I called as I made my way up the stairs.

Emily and Dean followed me into the room and Gwendolyn and I shared. The walls were dirty white from years of wear and tear. There were two full sized beds, separated by a little bed side table. There was a window above the table and the door we entered from was across from that. There was a small closet next to the door that Gwen and I shared, as well as chests at the end of our beds. I sat down on the bed to the left, Dean copying me.

Emily stood in the door way, looking around in awe. When her eyes came back to mine she asked, "This is your room?"

I nodded, "Like I said, not everyone gets to be a princess."

Emily just nodded dumbly and sat down next to me. For the next two hours or so we talked and laughed as Dean attempted to prank call random numbers on his cell phone, usually laughing before even hanging up. I glanced out the window and noticed that the street lights were on and Gwen wasn't in the house. I groaned and hopped up.

"Where are you going?" Emily questioned automatically.

I looked back at her as I pulled my shoes on. "To get my sister."

Dean stood up and glanced out the window before sliding into his kicks. Emily's eyes grew wide. "Is it dangerous to go outside after the lights are on?"

I shrugged, "Not until it really gets dark but it's my Dad's rule and Gwendolyn just broke it."

Emily didn't ask questions, she only slipped into her heels as well. I rolled my eyes and tossed a pair of slip ons to her. She thanked me and put them on. I hurried down the stairs and noticed that Gianna was sleeping on the couch, covered by her favorite pale pink blanket. Lisette and Octavia looked up from the kitchen table when I entered and they both groaned.

"I'm sorry, Kat, I forgot all about Gwen," Lisette told me as she slid out of her chair.

"It's okay," I told her, "Finish your homework."

She nodded and sat right back down.

"Stay in the house, I'll be right back," I said before pulling the door open and hurrying down the front steps. I looked over to Ronnie's house and noticed that they were no longer on the porch. I groaned and hurried over there, banging on the door with Dean beside me and Emily right behind me.

The door was pulled open and Riley Radke stood on the other side, a black eye adorning his face.

"Is my sister here?" I asked right away, knowing she had to be. Riley didn't reply, he just pushed the door open and motioned for the three of us to go inside. I smiled smugly and continued on, hearing Emily squeak.

The Radke's house was laid out pretty much the same as ours, just a few minor changes, like the living room came before the kitchen. Gwendolyn was sitting on the couch next to Kara who was just chatting away. When I walked in Gwendolyn shot up, causing the rest of the room to look in my direction too.

I pointed in the direction of our house. "Get home, right now."

Gwen glanced at me with a apologetic expression and then turned to glance at Kara who was attempting to yank her back down onto the couch as she started to talk.

"Why should she have to listen to you?" Kara asked, "You're only a year older than her." Kara rolled her eyes, "We all know that you're some kind of super kid or what ever but that doesn't mean you get to be the boss. I mean, you're not her mother."

The room was quiet after that and Kara, who realized what she just said, started attempting to apologize.

"Kat, I'm so-"

"Kara, you better get home before I call your mother. I know she wouldn't be too happy to find out where you are right now," I cut her off, my voice low as I crossed my arms over my chest. Then I added, "And you're right. I'm not her mother. I'm just the closest thing she's got left."

Kara didn't say anything, she only sat where she was, her fingers tangled with her boyfriend's. I didn't look around the room as Gwen gathered her things but I knew who was there. It was always the same people after school. As I turned to go I caught Ronnie's eye and I stopped. "Don't you ever bring her in here again," I demanded, "You got that?"

Ronnie just bit his lip and then nodded once. I looked him over once, knowing that he'd listen to me. Very few people actually knew about Ronnie and Riley's home life. Very few people actually knew about their abusive father and horrible older brother. I happened to be one of the few. Living next door to someone for your entire life lets you get to know quite a bit about them. Even things they don't want you to know.

Gwen's friend Jaime came with us, obviously not wanting to stay there anymore. Gwen hurried into our house and up the stairs, not bothering to acknowledge that she indeed had a friend in the house.

I turned to the boy and apologized for my sister.

"It's no problem," he replied with a shrug, "She didn't even want to stay there but Kara is a little over-powering sometimes."

I nodded, "Yeah. Do you have a ride home or do you need one?"

Jaime shook his head. "I only live a couple streets over. I was just planning on walking."

I looked at the scrawny boy in front of me and shook my head, knowing he'd get eaten alive on the streets after dark. "You can catch a ride with my Dad when he takes Dean and Emily home." I glanced at the clock on the wall, "He should be home any minute."

We stood awkwardly as Dean and Emily wandered up stairs. I glanced at Jaime as he looked around the house. "Uh," I muttered, "You can sit down," I motioned to the couch that Gianna was filling up. "I'll just take her upstairs and then I'll be right back."

Jaime chuckled and nodded. I grunted as I lifted Gianna into my arms, her head on my shoulder. I walked up the stairs slowly and carefully. I passed my bedroom door, which was closed, and the one across from it before going to the second door on the right, next to mine. I pushed it open and smiled at the room in front of me. Gianna shared a room with our father.

After she was born my father couldn't let her out of his sight seeing as she was the last living piece of the love of his life. My father's room was slightly bigger than the rest of ours. He had a big bed in the middle, under the window. Gianna had a little bed that was against the left wall and under the window that was there. I set GiGi down on our Dad's bed and shook her a little bit, just to wake her up enough to get her pajamas on.

"Gianna," I cooed, "Wake up, honey, we've got to get you dressed."

She blinked and few times and then nodded, pulling her shirt over her head. I smiled and walked over to her section of the closet and pulled out her pink princess jammy-set.

I helped her get dressed and then I helped her crawl into bed. I kissed her cheek as she wrapped her arms around my neck. "Don't tell Daddy that we didn't brush your teeth," I whispered, causing her to giggled and nod her head.

"Night Gi," I said as I walked to the door and flipped the light off, smiling her her night light kicked on. I pulled the door shut, leaving it open just a crack so that the light from the hallway could creep in.

I walked to the next door on that side of the hallway and threw it open. Dean and Emily were sitting on my bed, talking and laughing and Gwendolyn was sitting on her own bed, her knees pulled up to her chest and her cheek resting on her knee. "Get up," I demanded as I yanked her arm.

"Leave me alone, Katerina."

I shook my head. "No. Get up and go entertain your friend Jaime before Dad gets home."

Gwen looked up to me. "I'm sorry," she murmured, "I didn't want to stay, it's just that every time I suggested that we leave Kara treated me like I was acting like a little kid."

I sighed and nodded, "I know. I'm not that mad at you but Dad will be, so you better get down stairs and enjoy yourself before I have to tell Dad."

Gwen sighed and hopped up. I watched as she disappeared down the stairs. I laid back on her bed and sighed.

"And that's why my parents never had more kids," Dean joked, causing me to laugh.
♠ ♠ ♠
Update three of three. :)
Look at the rest of my stories. Hopefully going to have enough time to update the ones I have and write for the ones that I haven't yet. :)