When the Sun Comes Up

I'll Be Hung Over

Sweat glistened on Gabe’s forehead, his hands rested on the blonde’s hips while his own swayed to the beat. The song ended and another started up right after. The blonde tried to leave the dance floor but Gabe took her wrist and gave her a smile, she gave a slight laugh and continued to dance with him. Five songs later Gabe was too tired to keep going but there was something about the petite blonde that he liked, he wanted to know her name.

Kaitlin danced with the tall Latino man, her eyes studying each move and facial expression he made. She was tired two songs in; when he smiled at her she didn’t want to disappoint him so she pushed herself to keep dancing. There was something about his smile that seemed like she knew him, or maybe she’d dreamt him up. She couldn’t quite pick out what it was but something about him drew her to him. She tried to act coy, to give fleeting glances, and vivacious smiles, she knew she could get him where she wanted.

“Do you want to get a drink?”

She gave a small shrug and mouthed, “What?”

He leaned in close to her ear, “want to go get a drink?”

She gave a small nod and followed him to the bar. A man waved Gabe over; he smiled and led the blonde over to his friend Ryland.

“Kait, I’ve been looking all over for you!” A female voice exclaimed.

Gabe focused on the girl sitting beside Ryland, and shook his head he meets a good looking girl and she’s off limits because she’s friends with his step-sister.

“Sorry Claud I was dancing with umm,” She looked up at Gabe.

“Gabe and how do you know my sister?”

Kait looked between the two seeming a bit confused, “you don’t look alike.”

Ryland chuckled, “hi I’m Ryland. They’re step-siblings in case you’re wondering.”

She nodded, “nice to meet you I’m Kaitlin but call me Kait.”

Gabe was visibly annoyed that everyone was monopolizing Kait’s attention but he went ahead and moved down the bar to go buy a drink.

Kait listened to Claudia explain that her Dad married Gabe’s mom when they were in high school and that her dad died in a car accident shortly before she moved to California so she stopped calling Gabe her stepbrother. Kait was bored of it all and just wanted to get back to the dance floor with a different guy, she couldn’t help but think her friend had ruined her evening; it was better when Gabe was just a stranger.

“So you’re Claudia’s roommate?”

She gave Ryland a small smile, “yeah. I’m sorry but who exactly are you, or who are you to my friend?”

He laughed, “oh I’m Gabe’s friend, and I know Claudia a little bit. We just moved to California, wow I’m talking way too much again; so umm . . . We’re gonna hit up my friend Alex’s party wanna come along?”

A drink was placed in front of her she gave Gabe a small smile, “oh, what is it?”

“Vodka and Red Bull, is that okay?”

She nodded, “yeah, it’s perfect thanks.”

“So uh . . . party yay or nay?”

Kait turned her eyes onto Ryland and Claudia, “uh I don’t know I mean I wouldn’t know anyone so I’d feel awkward besides I’d rather keep dancing here.”

Claudia frowned slightly, “I guess I’ll just have to meet this Alex guy some other time.”

Kait felt guilty keeping Claudia around especially since Claudia had never been one for clubs, but she wanted to keep dancing she wanted to meet a stranger. Then again it might be easier to do what she wanted to do without her around. . .

“no it’s fine you go ahead I’ll just see you back at the apartment.”

“Are you sure? I wouldn’t want to leave you alone I mean what if something happens or, no I shouldn’t.”

Kait rolled her eyes Claudia meant well but she could get a bit annoying, “it’s fine. I’ll text you as soon as I get home okay?”

“I don’t know . . . I mean,” She bit her lip.

“C’mon she’ll be fine you have to meet Alex you’ll love him he’s awesome.”

“I’ll stay with her,” Gabe said trying to get rid of Claudia and Ryland so he could get back on the dance floor with the blonde beauty.

“See it completely works out.”

Claudia rolled her eyes, “you’re clueless Ry. Gabe if you try anything I will kill you okay?”

Gabe chuckled at her intensity but shrugged it off her threats were usually hollow, besides if it was gonna happen it was gonna happen. He just gave one of his signature smirks as she continued to stare her down before Ryland dragged her away.

He took the seat now vacant seat next to Kaitlin he gulped down his drink and asked if she wanted another.

She smiled and nodded, she didn’t usually drink but she had no problem saying yes to him.

= = = = = = = = = = = =


Someone stirring beside him caused Gabe to open his eyes, he looked around and didn’t recognize where he was. His eyes settled on blonde hair poking out from under the bedspread. The night’s events flashed through his mind the drinks, the music, and the kisses, the cab ride home that consisted of hands between thighs. Stairs-he remembered stumbling up a flight of stairs, fuck. His hand rubbed at his tired eyes, this was her apartment which meant Claudia was here which meant he was in deep shit.

He got off and started searching for his clothes he found his boxers and socks but had no clue where anything else was. A Blink 182 ringtone caught his attention.

Kaitlin’s head pounded she usually loved blink but at the moment she hated this song for making her wake up. She reached around until she found it and answered.

“Hmm what? ”

“Tell Gabe his clothes are on the couch.”

“umm hmm, “ she hung up and pulled the covers over her head, “your clothes. . .downstairs, buh-bye.”

Gabe smiled at Kait’s demeanor, but then her words sunk in. the last time he dated one of
her friends he had gotten kicked in the groin. He took a deep breath and opened the door and walked into the small hallway and making his way to the stairs. He held on to the railing and went down the stairs and walked into the living room spotting his clothing and a note.

Gabriel you huge dickwad,
You’re lucky I know Kait well enough to know this isn’t going to be a problem. Oh and Ryland is weird; did you know he talks in a British accent when he’s drunk? Whatever I’m late for work so don’t fuck up my house!
Bye,
-C