When the Sun Comes Up

I'll miss your call

“Okay Gabe can we take that from the top?”

Gabe looked around and noticed Vicky holding up her carton of cigarettes and knew she was going to go outside.

Gabe stood and announced, “Actually I need a smoke.”

Ryland gave him a funny look but, Gabe shrugged and exited the recording booth and followed Vicky outside.

She held out her lit cigarette “here, since you’re such a big smoker all of the sudden”

He took his phone out of his coat pocket and shook his head, “I have to check my messages.”

“You know if you need a break you can just ask for it, no one is going to think any less of you.”

Gabe shrugged, and called his voicemail. He was the one who had wanted to get to this point the most. He was the one who everyone made fun of for being so determined to get here. Now that they were where he wanted, he couldn’t ask for breaks it sent the message that he didn’t really care.

“You have four new messages”

“Gabriel, I just called to say how proud I am of you, te quiero mucho.”

“to replay this message press one. To delete this message press seven

Gabe smiled at his mother’s words. And promised himself he’d call her back later.

“message deleted”

“Hey man its Pete, Sorry I couldn’t make it out the first week. I’m coming out next week. Uh I got William Beckett, and Travie McCoy like you wanted. I’ve got this girl she’s got a great voice, I’m bringing her in too. Also I let some people listen to a couple of your demos and My buddy Joe has a killer riff he wrote for one of your songs and well He might go out and see if you’d be willing to fit it in. The kid, I mean Ryan has something he wrote, so I might fly him out with me, you know this would be easier if I could answer some of your questions, whenever you get a chance call me okay.”

“to replay this message press one. To delete this message press seven ”

Gabe nodded and made a mental note to ask Pete about which songs his friends had written music for, and what the girl’s name was because he wanted to listen to her before he signed off on anything. He pressed seven.

“message deleted”

“Hey Gabe so I was gonna call Vicky and tell her I’m taking good care of Gizmo for her, but she loses her phone all the time so I figured you could pass along the message. I also want to let you know that I am so happy for you. You have always wanted to be in a band, and look at you now . . . I better get one of the first copies of the album . . . or at least a Cobra Starship t-shirt. Ya know before you start pretending you don’t know me. Yeah that wasn’t really all that funny was it? So umm Pete was telling me what it’s like when you’re recording, how you’re pretty much broke and spend long hours in the studio. Well and actually. . . I forgot what I was going to say, oh Wait yeah. Se como eres, y quiero que te cuides. If you need a break ask for it, don’t over work yourself. Make sure you’re eating right okay, and if you need anything just let me know okay? That goes for everyone if any of you need anything just let me know. Oh my God! Pete back the fuck up I’m on the phone if you want to tell him something call him yourself. Sorry about that Gabe, so yeah you’ll be getting a call from Pete soon. So anyway, I have to go call you again soon. Bye.”

“to replay this message press one. To delete this message press seven.”

Gabe turned to Vicky, “Claud said she’s taking good care of Giz” and pressed seven.

“message deleted”

“Hey it's Kait so uh I called everyone else and I figured I’d call you too and well congratulate you . . . so umm yeah congrats.”

“to replay press-”

He pressed one over and Over until Vicky finished her cigarette.