When the Sun Comes Up

I'll Be thankful

Gabe finished peeling potatoes, “hey mom, what else do you want me to do?”

She shook her head, “nada hijo, why don’t you go visit your dad before dinner?”

He smiled, “nah, I’ll visit him tomorrow today it’s me and you.”

She smiled, “okay, en ese caso, báñate que tu primo va venir”

“Ricky is coming?”

She nodded.

He smiled and walked to his room and got together some clean clothes. He took a seat on the edge of his bed. He decided he’d call Claudia and say happy thanksgiving.

“Claudia’s phone, Brendon speaking”

“Um hi Brandon, can I speak to Claudia?”

“It’s Brendon not Brandon. You’re Gabe? Dude this is so amazing, I’ve heard so much about you. Are you guys almost done recording? What is the album going to be called? Is the studio amazing? Ryan said it’s amazing, oh I’m in the band with Ryan Ross, did he really play guitar for one of your songs?”

“Uh. . .” Gabe wasn’t quite sure what to say, he couldn’t even remember what the first thing the kid had asked was.

In the background he could hear a door open, “Brendon have you seen my phone?”

“Yeah I’m talking to your brother.”

Gabe gave a sigh of relief when he heard Claudia’s voice.

“Well can I have my phone back?”

“Oh yeah sure, it was nice talking to you Gabe, happy thanksgiving.”

“Uh, yeah you too,” Gabe could hear footsteps he assumed the kid was leaving the room.

“es un milagro que me estés llamando.”

Gabe rolled his eyes, “seriously?”

She laughed, “you know I’m joking . . . so um sorry about Brendon he’s a little umm . . . shoot what’s the word?”

“Nuts?”

“Don’t be a jerk, He’s sweet, and he’s just overly . . . Enthusiastic! That’s the word. Do you remember the night Pete came by, I think it was the first time you met him, he was talking about picking up a band from the airport?”

Gabe picked at a loose thread on the duvet, “yeah I remember.”

“So umm it was so cute, Bren stayed up the whole night and wouldn’t let me go to sleep, and it was so cute. He was so excited because for the first time he didn’t have anyone telling him to go to bed. He has this, like endearing sort of air of innocence around him. Yes he’s a little strange but if you met him you’d love him.”

“Yeah . . . so Ryan’s friend is having thanksgiving dinner with you and Kaitlin?”

“No, actually um I’m in Nevada. I mean I was gonna stay home, But Kaitlin and Her dad went on a three day cruise, which is good because she needed a break. Then Ryan told me that his friend’s parents invited him over for dinner at their home. I would have gone to Jersey but I mean getting a ticket last minute and the huge amount of people at the airport, ugh.”

Gabe rolled his eyes; she always waited until the last minute, “so how’d you end up in Nevada?”

“Okay well you see, Brendon is Mormon right. So um he is supposed to go on some mission thing when he is eighteen but he’s going to do the band. His parent’s didn’t like that and they kicked him out. So he’s living on his own, and well as you’d imagine he’s currently not too happy with his family so he was going to spend today alone. So anyway I guess Ryan told him I wasn’t going to be doing anything for thanksgiving; and well Brendon called me up and invited me over. But I mean he lives on ramen and hot pockets, and grocery stores are nightmares during the holidays so we’re gonna go pick up some KFC soon. So yeah. . .”

Gabe laughed, “You are so damn lazy.”

“Whatever, so what are you doing? Are you guys just going out to dinner or something?”

“Actually we got a few days off, so I’m here with my mom.”

“Aww seriously, I totally should have gone to Jersey.”

Gabe smiled, “yeah especially since your favorite Saporta is going to be here.”

“Oh stop being so conceited you’re the only Saporta I know- wait Ricky! Ricky is going, dude now I really wish I had bought a ticket. “

Gabe stood up and scooped up his clothes with his free hand, “yeah sucks for you. So anyway I just called to say happy thanksgiving. I’ve got to go.”

“Alright, tell Ricky I said hi.”

Something in the way she had said that made Gabe grin, “Gross you have a crush on my cousin.”

“No!” She exclaimed, “I do not!”

“Do so.”

“No, okay maybe I used to but hey he was cute. Bye happy thanksgiving.”

Gabe chuckled and hung up the phone. He headed towards the bathroom, his phone buzzed. He set his clothes down on the sink counter and checked his phone.

happy thanksgiving =)

He smiled, Kaitlin had probably sent this message to all her contacts, but it was an excuse to talk to her. He sat on toilet and typed a response.

Thanks you too, hope you’re having fun on your cruise

He hopped she’d text back. When she didn’t reply right away he was disheartened, but told himself she was just busy. He stood and looked at himself in the mirror, he had a good amount of stubble, if he didn’t shave for a few days he’d have one of those thin moustaches Vicky hated; he decided to skip shaving just to annoy Vicky. He smiled at his own plan, and noted how dark the bags under his eyes were. It’s going to be worth it, he told himself.

His phone buzzed and he picked it up.

I’m having a great time, how’s the album coming along?

Gabe smiled and quickly typed up a reply, it’s starting to come together

There was a knock on the bathroom door, “Gabriel no escucho la agua”

“Lo estoy haciendo,” he called setting the phone down and pulling the shower curtain open. He turned the knobs until he got the water to a suitable temperature he then shed his clothing. His phone buzzed.

He picked up his phone, and glanced at the screen.

That’s great! Well I gotta go. Bye.

He smiled and set the phone back on the counter, and stepped into the shower. This year had its fair share of ups and downs but in the end he had a lot to be thankful for.