Every Storm That Comes Also Comes to an End

Five

"Shit," I hiss, running a hand through my hair. I wipe my hands off on my slacks, looking around. Not as many people were staring, but a few were still glancing at where Caitlyn had pushed Avery down. "Where did Cait go?" I ask her dad, feeling obligated to do, if anything, just something.

"Behind the church," he answers. "Probably in the garden."

I nod and thank him, hurrying to where he directed me. I found her on a stone bench, her back to me. I could see her shoulders shaking as she cried, her sobs carrying over to me.

"Caitlyn?" I say gently, walking over hesitantly. "Cait?"

She sniffs and looks over at me. Her eyes instantly narrow. "What do you want?"

I wipe at my face. "I came to see if you were all right." I would rather go see Avery, but I knew she would only yell at me some more. And I got enough of that yesterday, so I couldn't handle much more. But I was now thinking I would just get an earful from Caitlyn, too.

"I know I'm the last person you want to see," I say, carefully taking a seat beside her. She doesn't object. "And I know I've made some...awful decisions. But I need to tell you something. You might not want to hear it, but you need to know." She doesn't answer at first, but finally nods for me to continue, wiping at the mascara smudged along her eyes.

I take a deep breath. "On Avery and I's road trip - "

"Don't even speak about that!" she snaps, tears building in her eyes once again.

I bite my bottom lip. "I know you don't want to discuss it, but you need to know this!" I touch her shoulder, gently, but she immediately pushes it off. "Listen, Cait!" She glares at me again, but makes no move to leave. "On the road trip, it started off as her being a bitch to me because of how things ended between us. We didn't get along at all." Just talking about this put a sour pit in my stomach. "And seeing her again made me almost completely forget about...our wedding." Her eyes narrowed even more, and I knew I was walking on eggshells here. "Just listen, okay? You need to hear this." She nods again.

"And...since I basically blanked about...us, Avery didn't know about me and you getting married," I say slowly, trying to get Caitlyn to understand. She gives me a blank look. "Your sister didn't know you and I were getting married. It was...it was me who chose not to tell her. I was the one who lied. None...none of this is her fault."

Caitlyn stares at me for a long time. Finally: "So she didn't know?"

I shake my head, taking in a shaky breath. "She didn't. She didn't find out I was the one marrying you until we arrived at the wedding."

She shakes her head, her bottom lip trembling. "Why didn't you tell her, Alex?"

"Because," I say, my voice cracking. "I was selfish, and dumb; not giving a fuck about anything. I wanted Avery all to myself and if I told her about the wedding...it would ruin everything. I can only blame myself and I've learned to accept that I was the one who destroyed everything. But I can't help but regret tearing apart two sisters."

Cait sniffs, rubbing her nose. "I don't want us to fight, but I thought she had taken my - " She stops and looks at me, tears running down her face. "My fiance."

I give her a sad look. "Well, stop blaming her. I was the one who lied."

She nips at her lip. "Thank you, Alex."

I nod, patting her shoulder awkwardly. "No problem. Just...talk to her, okay? Out of everything I ruined last year...the one thing I hate the most was that I tore a family apart. Please, make up with Avery, all right?"

"Will do," she nods, trying to muster up a smile.

I give her one last look before getting to my feet and walking out of the garden. Back in the courtyard, almost everyone from the funeral was gone. Avery's dad was waiting by the church doors, mostly likely hoping to see Caitlyn.

"Is she okay?" he asks, his brows pulled down in worry.

"She's fine," I nod. "I told her everything. She's gonna talk to Ave."

Richard smiles gravely. "Thank you, Alex. For being there and just...letting yourself stay strong. I know that you're the bad guy in this, I've had to listen to Avery and Caitlyn ramble about you many times, and I just wanted to commend you for not losing yourself in the process. I know I'm supposed to hate you but...you've really helped me get through Elaine's death."

I give a weak grin. "It's my pleasure, Rick."

He gives me a hug before I walk to my car, sliding in and driving away from the church.

Hopefully, that's the last time I'll have to see it in my rear-view window ever again.

__


At about nine o'clock at night, my phone rang. I knew it was probably Jack, calling to make sure I wasn't popping pills. He'd taken the bottle away from me, but he knew I could get my hands on my painkillers.

I pick up my phone, answering it without checking the Caller ID.

"Hello?" I ask, popping a chip in my mouth. I was trying to watch Rocco's Modern Life, but I was interrupted by the obnoxious ringing of my cell phone.

I hear someone clear their throat. "A-Alex?"

My eyes widen. "Avery?" She's actually calling me? It's a fucking miracle!

"Hi," she says tentatively. "I, uhm, I just talked to Caitlyn and..." she trails off, taking a deep breath. She sounded nervous. Why would she be nervous? "She told me what you said to her. We talked for a really long time and..." I could hear some rustling. "Thank you. I mean, thanks, for telling her what I couldn't tell her."

I nod, even though she couldn't see me. "No problem. I thought there was at least one relationship that needed to be sewn back together."

Ave doesn't answer for a long time, just sitting quietly. Finally, she breathes out. "Anyway, thanks...again. I'm gonna go. It's late...so..."

This whole conversation was awkward, and even though I didn't want it to end, I end it.

"Night," I say softly before taking the phone away from my ear and pressing End. I drop my phone on the cushion beside me, staring at it for a few moments.

Maybe this is a step in the right direction.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here it is. Alex is rekindling fires.
Sorry about lack of updates on this. I don't want huge gaps between Felicia and I's updates, and it's usually coming from my end, but hopefully I can get back to posting regularly.
Thoughts? Keep the comments rolling!
-Tiana.